• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

There were people who thought Almquist was going to be really good.

Wouldn't of been really good as you say but think he could of stuck around the league abit

Problem with these kids are they don't want to put the work in the ahl (although if i recall almquist did play in Grand Rapids for abit )

Ryno I think could of played in the league (not saying he would of been a star .. 3rd-4th liner) and i remember some of us myself included were hopeful with hakan Anderssons pick dick"hat trick" axelsson , but I don't even think he even came down to Grand Rapids

Boy went way off here lol ... Yes almquist was a bust :) , I'd stick with saarijarvi though and hope he can somewhat help out on the ppl although I don't think he'll amount to much

Trade Joe hicketts in a package if any team values his performances with team Canada and think there's something there

That's a hot mess of a lineup.

Let's hope mrazek is ready to be the future hasek sooner rather than later

At this point I hope we don't trade for a defenseman. Go with this. Its not terrible.

Tatar-Larkin-Abby

Nyquist-Neilsen-Vanek

Z-AA-Mantha

Helm-Glen-Sheahan

Jurco

Frk

Dekeyser-Green

Smith-Marchenko

Kronwall-Sproul

Ericsson

Ltir Franzen, pulk, vitale.

Waive Ott and Miller.

Trade Ouellet.

I wouldn't say I hope we don't trade for a defenseman, but if there's none worth going after (too expensive), I definitely agree that those are the best 23 players. But I think we all know the chance of both Miller and Ott being waived is slim to none...

Left Winger, maybe if you say the Helm signing was useless a few more times, it will make it true...

Did Helmer get a no-trade or no-move in his contract? Wasn't really paying that much attention.

I was actually shocked that Nashville wanted a number one defenseman coming back the other way. They have one of the deepest back ends in the league and lack offense. I thought that Weber for Hall would have been a much better deal for both Nashville and Edmonton... and even Montreal...

What Nashville does get in that deal is exactly what Montreal didn't want... a player with personality. Nashville not only got a number one back... they got a guy that will put butts into seats FOR YEARS because he's a superstar.

Compared to Subban -- Weber's a cold fish, void of personality.

...not even bringing to light the fact that Weber is obvious decline.

I like the combos, but ott will not be waived. He was brought here to play and play he will. Helm was the useless signing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I dont think two guys signed to one year contracts for less than a million are necessarily going to be penciled into the lineup. Obviously Helms going to play (and he should), but not the other two. I dont think they're safe. Especially Ott. Holland waived Tootoo, why would he be reluctant to waive Ott?

Bet he has a NMC, then he'll have to be protected. I'm absolutely positive he will. Worst signing ever.

I have no issues with Helm. I think could be one of the best 3rd line centers (if they actually played him in that situation lol) in the league and an excellent PKer. But my goodness handing out NMCs to low tier players would be ridiculous.

As I've eluded to in the other thread , all that concerns me is guys like AA getting an opportunity.

Edited by kickazz

He won't get 20 points.

$1M is money wasted? No, $3.8M is money wasted on a bottom 6 guy. He is no better than a 4th line player, he's proven it over and over. Hands of cement, defensive lapses more than a few times. I'm not saying Miller/Ott are better, but Helm is far from worth the contract he got. And if when all the details come out and he has any kind of clause, Holland deserves to be fired...this is right up there with the constant signing of the clearys, sammys and berts.

He won't get 20 points? Haha I'll take that bet any day... He's never gotten less than 20 points in a season, and the only time he 'only' got 20 was when he played just 42 games, which put him on pace to have 39 points...

"He is no better than a 4th line player"... That's it, LeftWinger has spoken. Throw all the stats out the window, this guys eye-test (obviously no bias whatsoever) is much more reliable than any stats out there. And he obviously knows better than Ken Holland, Mike Babcock, Jeff Blashill and the rest of the hockey world that would love to have him on their team...

He won't get 20 points? Haha I'll take that bet any day... He's never gotten less than 20 points in a season, and the only time he 'only' got 20 was when he played just 42 games, which put him on pace to have 39 points...

"He is no better than a 4th line player"... That's it, LeftWinger has spoken. Throw all the stats out the window, this guys eye-test (obviously no bias whatsoever) is much more reliable than any stats out there. And he obviously knows better than Ken Holland, Mike Babcock, Jeff Blashill and the rest of the hockey world that would love to have him on their team...

Can we stop with this s*** already you're opinion is no more valid than anyone's. You do the exact same s*** with players you favor.

For the record I believe Helm's proper place would be on the third line he has more talent than some people give him credit for,

Wings will trade for Fowler.

I'll stop the Helm hate, until he proves, yet again where he belongs in the lineup. Which is nowhere near top 6. If they play him top 6 again all year, then the hammer needs to come down, or he needs to score 25 goals and prove he belongs there.

I just hope that the trade for Fowler involves enough forwards so no desrving one is forced to sit or be in GR.

Do what with players I favor? I'm not basing an opinion on my own bias, I'm basing an opinion on stats... I'm not saying I "think" Helm is one of the best bottom 6 forwards in the league, the stats are there to prove it. I'm sick and tired of reading the same people spewing the same s*** about how so and so sucks, with nothing other than their opinion to back it up...

Helm sucks, Nyquist sucks, Smith sucks, etc, etc...

Not a single person has said that Helm is a top 6 forward. I agree, he doesn't belong in the top 6, but that doesn't make him a bad player, or a terrible signing...

We could've done without him. If he left, we wouldn't miss him. That's why it was wasted money. But as long as he plays where he belongs, then do be it. Again, we're going to have to trade enough forwards though so legit top 9 guys aren't sitting around or in GR.

Jonathan bernier traded to ducks for a conditional pick. We're still stuck with Howard lol.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-trade-goalie-jonathan-bernier-ducks/

That's too funny! I knew ducks needed a goalie, as a matter of fact I mentioned packaging Howard for Fowler a couple months ago. I guess Holland feels jimmy and his cap are far more valuable than a draft pick.

All bitching aside about helm, Howard is the real waste of money. Damn I wish Holland wasn't so stupid when it comes to his players. Coreau has to go through waivers, I hope someone snags him just to spite.

I don't think it was THAT important to resign Helm to be honest. And I especially didn't think Miller was either. I think Holland tried to play it safe and wanted to keep them in case he didn't land other free agents.

$3.85 x5 isn't a slight overpayment for a bottom 6, 26 point scorer. It's a pretty big overpayment. Even if he kills penalties.

Just to put it into perspective, Gustav Nyquist scored more goals (27 goals) than Helm scored points (26 points total) when he got his contract and only makes 900k more.

Wayne Simmonds makes as much money as Helm does and scores more than twice as many goals and points.

We should have let the guy walk and let someone else overpay him to be honest.

I'm purely looking at this in terms of numbers and financies. Don't think I'm trying to insult Helm guys lol.

This was a bad contract. And it's not even bad in hindsight like Ericsson's was (who was probably expected to be a pretty good D man but ended up disappointing most fans). This one is bad from day 1 and I'm hoping to god, moses and buddah that there's no NMC or NTC so we aren't stuck with it if it doesn't work out.

And ya'll know I'm no Holland hater either.

Edited by kickazz

$3-3.25M for 3 years would have been a great deal, so while it is overpayment, I don't think it's near as bad as some are trying to make it out to be... Why are you only using his stats from last year, when the entire team had a down year statistically? He is a 25-35 point producer, and like I said earlier, that is above average for a bottom 6 forward. $3.85M is a little high, but look around the league, and you will see that it is pretty standard for a 3rd line center, other than those still on entry level contracts...

I don't think comparing Helm to Nyquist puts it into perspective at all... How about Marcus Kruger in Chicago? 3rd line center making $3.1M, and puts up half the points as Helm. Matt Stajan? Same deal. Lars Eller? Same at $3.5. David Desharnais? Same deal. Matt Cullen? Yup...

Even in his best year he put up 33 points (once). Almost everyone you mentioned were either former 40-55 point scorers or are making 900k less than his current contract is so either way it's still an overpayment. Matt Cullen signed his 3 year extension after scoring 48 and 39 points and signed with the penguins after scoring 25 points in 62 games (not 25 in 77). And why would I compare one bad contract with another? (Matt Stajan). Actually Stajan's contract isn't that bad since he's 3.1 million not 3.85. Kruger is only 26 and still has an upside. He's not 29.

No matter how you cut it, it's an overpayment. By about a million dollars. Which is my point anyway. He's worth less than $3 million. Max $3 million in my opinion. Probably would have gotten $4.5 million in free agency because some managers like to throw money.

Edited by kickazz