• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Maybe he could have pushed them out but neither of them at top 9 if all our guys were healthy (maybe Andersson was at one point). As far as Mantha/Bert, I don't think you would have said that if they ended up making the roster much like when Larkin did (who you initially wanted in GR lol).

Because I see folks here saying that "if a player does really well he would definitely replace someone in the line up". That statement may apply to a lot of teams but I'm not sure if it applies to the Red Wings. I don't think it's that easy with this franchise. Bertuzzi and Mantha did better than Larkin did in the preseason games but neither replaced any of Andersson, Ferarro, or Miller. Bertuzzi scoring like 5 points and Andersson scoring 1 in preseason. And still got sent down in favor of Andersson?

My point is, it doesn't necessarily matter how well they did. That's just one part of the equation. There needs to be space available.

Ultimately this training camp and preseason might show us what happens when you're stacked up on fowards. Let's see how AA, Mantha do and lets see how Holland responds in the case they really do well and out perform others.

Edited by kickazz

A few PS games aren't going to override every other bit of evaluation the team has done on a player. It's just a handful of games.

Like I said originally, a fans idea of what "does really well" means is likely far lower than management's.

And it wouldn't be enough to just outperform someone at the bottom of the roster. They won't waive someone just to have a kid sit in the pressbox. We have a lot of guys we can probably count on for 15+ goals and 30+ points. To earn a spot, a kid probably needs to show that we should expect a fair amount better than that. Not just potential, but actually expect that. Nothing Mantha has done in the last couple years says we should expect that, so it's probably unlikely that there's anything he could do in TC/PS to change that. AA would be a bit closer, but he'd still have to be pretty amazing in camp.

So this was the line up in opening night

Justin Abdelkader - Henrik Zetterberg - Dylan Larkin

Tomas Tatar - Brad Richards - Gustav Nyquist

Johan Franzen - Riley Sheahan - Teemu Pulkkinen

Drew Miller - Luke Glendening - Landon Ferraro

Had Datsyuk been healthy, Larkin could have easily taken Pulkk's or Ferraro's spot, I think he could have easily been in the top 6 as well, bumping either Tats or Nyq to the 3rd line. And for him to make the top line in his debut he definitely impressed the coaches in training camp and there would, most definitely, be a spot for him for opening night, Loved the fact that he scored and got an assist and showed why he deserved to be in that top line.

A few PS games aren't going to override every other bit of evaluation the team has done on a player. It's just a handful of games.

Like I said originally, a fans idea of what "does really well" means is likely far lower than management's.

And it wouldn't be enough to just outperform someone at the bottom of the roster. They won't waive someone just to have a kid sit in the pressbox. We have a lot of guys we can probably count on for 15+ goals and 30+ points. To earn a spot, a kid probably needs to show that we should expect a fair amount better than that. Not just potential, but actually expect that. Nothing Mantha has done in the last couple years says we should expect that, so it's probably unlikely that there's anything he could do in TC/PS to change that. AA would be a bit closer, but he'd still have to be pretty amazing in camp.

So to get a better understanding of what you're saying, you think in order for a kid to make the roster, he's not only going to have to outperform, but far exceed exceptions of someone already on the roster? As in, AA can't just be slightly better than Sheahan, he's going to have to be much much better? Or am I misinterpreting your post?

So let me ask you this. Hypothetically speaking all our main roster players end up starting on opening night. Would you have guessed Larkin being on opening night? This would have been the starting roster if Larkin wasn't a part of the equation. 15 forwards. Actually we had more forwards last year by the looks of it.

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Nyquist - Richards - Tatar

Helm - Sheahan - Franzen

Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

Andersson

Jurco

Pulkinnen

Larkin

This year it perhaps would be

Abdelkader - Larkin - Zetterberg

Tatar - Nielsen - Vanek

Helm - Sheahan - Nyquist

Miller - Glendening - Ott

Jurco

AA

Mantha

So actually, AA (and Mantha) might in reality have a better shot of making the roster than I originally thought. Assuming they are open to moving Sheahan to 4th line and letting AA play 3rd line. And that is assuming AA meets management's level of expectations in camp.

Edited by kickazz

I'm so confused. The Wings do or do not promote kids to the big club? Jurco was rushed but Larkin was not? So much doublespeak I feel like I'm watching a political debate.

The argument for Jurco has been he was mismanaged and put on 4th line where he doesn't belong. Not sure if I agree with that anymore, because maybe management wanted him as a 4th line player and that's why they put him there? Generally for players that are supposed to be top 6 players, you don't want to develop them on a 4th line. If Larkin was going to make the roster only to play on the 4th line, it would probably be better for him to play in GR as a first or second line center. But idk maybe management doesn't see a difference between top 9 or top 12.

Edited by kickazz

So to get a better understanding of what you're saying, you think in order for a kid to make the roster, he's not only going to have to outperform, but far exceed exceptions of someone already on the roster? As in, AA can't just be slightly better than Sheahan, he's going to have to be much much better? Or am I misinterpreting your post?

So let me ask you this. Hypothetically speaking all our main roster players end up starting on opening night. Would you have guessed Larkin being on opening night? This would have been the starting roster if Larkin wasn't a part of the equation. 15 forwards. Actually we had more forwards last year by the looks of it.

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Nyquist - Richards - Tatar

Helm - Sheahan - Franzen

Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

Andersson

Jurco

Pulkinnen

Larkin

This year it perhaps would be

Abdelkader - Larkin - Zetterberg

Tatar - Nielsen - Vanek

Helm - Sheahan - Nyquist

Miller - Glendening - Ott

Jurco

AA

Mantha

So actually, AA (and Mantha) might in reality have a better shot of making the roster than I originally thought. Assuming they are open to moving Sheahan to 4th line and letting AA play 3rd line. And that is assuming AA meets management's level of expectations in camp.

Nevermind edited out comment about Helm's Injury

I still think Larkin would have been preferred over Ferraro

Edited by NerveDamage

dude, Helm was injured at the time he couldn't have been in the lineup at the start of the season.

Helm (shoulder) skated on a regular line on Monday; could play on Tuesday.
Helm was expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a separated shoulder. He has nearly reached the end of his timetable, which suggests that he could be back tomorrow vs. the Lightning. If Helm is set to return, the Red Wings will need to make a roster move.

You're misreading my posts entirely. I can't sit here and explain them.

Yes, Jurco was rushed and no Larkin was not. They're not even close to the same in terms of where they were in their development. Jurco, like Nyquist and Tatar should have spent more time down in Grand Rapids. Although I initially wanted Larkin to start the season down there, he clearly was ready for the jump. It's not even close to being the same situation though. Also, if Larkin were put in the bottom 6, he likely wouldn't have been as hot out of the gate either. Likewise, if Jurco were given a bit more of an opportunity in the top 6, I think he would be a hell of a lot better off today...

Yes, Jurco was rushed and no Larkin was not. They're not even close to the same in terms of where they were in their development. Jurco, like Nyquist and Tatar should have spent more time down in Grand Rapids. Although I initially wanted Larkin to start the season down there, he clearly was ready for the jump. It's not even close to being the same situation though. Also, if Larkin were put in the bottom 6, he likely wouldn't have been as hot out of the gate either. Likewise, if Jurco were given a bit more of an opportunity in the top 6, I think he would be a hell of a lot better off today...

Ooooooh..

I don't know if I have energy for it, but you bring another good topic to debate about. I'd take the opposite stance on this but maybe we should leave it for another day lol.

I agree with part of this, and disagree with part of it. Jurco did get rushed up to the big club, and he surely would have benefited from more time in GR. However, I don't think he needed top six time. His first (partial) season he played almost exclusively on the third line and produced pretty well. If he continued to produce at that same clip from the 3rd line we wouldn't even be discussing him right now. Everybody would be fine with his production. It's the fact that he can't seem to replicated even 3rd line production, with 3rd line minutes, that go him demoted and eventually scratched. Jurco needs to produce moderate point totals in moderate minutes before he should be given any more responsibility. So far he hasn't shown he can do that consistently.

More or less, depending on what you consider "far exceed" or "much much better". I'm saying I don't think they'd want to risk losing a player, and potentially regretting it if we're hit by injuries, if they'd only expect to gain a few goals over the course of a full season. I think they'd have to expect a real impact.

I agree with you kip, but I was referring to if Jurco had been given the same opportunity (not saying he should have) as Larkin in the beginning. I do believe that if he were thrown on a line with Datsyuk and Tatar (or similar linemates) a year or two ago, he would be a much better player today. Again, I'm not saying he should have been gifted that sort of opportunity, but I haven't seen anything of him on the 3rd line yet that has said, he's not cutting it, he should be demoted or scratched, but yet, that's what continues to happen.

I hate that they tried to mold a pure skill player into a "grinder", playing with scrubs, just because he has size... How well would Tatar or Nyquist have done in their first couple seasons if they were given the same sort of treatment? Not too well would be my bet...

I do still think Jurco can be a very good middle 6 winger, I just don't think he will get that sort of opportunity here unfortunately...

BS. No one is trying to turn Jurco into a grinder. He's played where he's played because all the spots that would be a better fit for his skills have been filled by better players. That's it.

He's not even expected to play any differently. He (and everyone) is expected to compete defensively no matter where they are in the lineup. He (and everyone) is expected to compete offensively. He doesn't play against top competition, and his deployment isn't especially defensive. He doesn't kill penalties. The only thing different about him playing on the 4th line is that he has less pressure to produce.

He's a spare part as a player, and he's used as such.

Jurco is where he is because of mismanagement, not because of lack of skill. He is expected to play differently because he's on the 4th line playing with scrubs. Jurco's issue has nothing to do with physical ability and everything to do with mental stability, aka confidence. Anyway, this has been argued to death, so that's it for me...

BS. No one is trying to turn Jurco into a grinder. He's played where he's played because all the spots that would be a better fit for his skills have been filled by better players. That's it.

He's not even expected to play any differently. He (and everyone) is expected to compete defensively no matter where they are in the lineup. He (and everyone) is expected to compete offensively. He doesn't play against top competition, and his deployment isn't especially defensive. He doesn't kill penalties. The only thing different about him playing on the 4th line is that he has less pressure to produce.

He's a spare part as a player, and he's used as such.

He went from being a highly skilled goal scorer to playing safe dump it in never take a chance defense only hockey. Do you really believe the coaches aren't telling him to do that?

Jurco is where he is because of mismanagement, not because of lack of skill. He is expected to play differently because he's on the 4th line playing with scrubs. Jurco's issue has nothing to do with physical ability and everything to do with mental stability, aka confidence. Anyway, this has been argued to death, so that's it for me...

Well he'd have a 3rd line spot if not for your boy.

Jurco plays with Glen and Miller who dump and chase only because theirs no room for him in the top 9. Crappy situation for a young guy but the other forwards are just better than him theirs no denying that. Don't think he was told to remodel his game it's just the way the fourth line plays. I'm sure Blashill would be thrilled if Jurco started playing more aggressive and creative offensively

Edited by joesuffP

"It's just the way the fourth line plays". This right here is my biggest issue. The 4th line shouldn't necessarily have to play that way, but the guys we have on our 4th line do. We could go with a 4th line of players sitting / sent down, Jurco - Athanasiou - Mantha, and actually generate some offense, but instead we'll have the "shut-down" line of Miller - Glendening - Ott...

He went from being a highly skilled goal scorer to playing safe dump it in never take a chance defense only hockey. Do you really believe the coaches aren't telling him to do that?

Highly skilled goal scorer in the AHL maybe lol.

"It's just the way the fourth line plays". This right here is my biggest issue. The 4th line shouldn't necessarily have to play that way, but the guys we have on our 4th line do. We could go with a 4th line of players sitting / sent down, Jurco - Athanasiou - Mantha, and actually generate some offense, but instead we'll have the "shut-down" line of Miller - Glendening - Ott...

Oh but that's what the coaches want and their word is a gold mine. None of us have any idea what we're talking about. We just read WIIM and are clueless about hockey. Clearly what Blashill did was the recipe for success. Dump and chase all day baby that's where it's at, just look at the last 7 years of Stanley cup winners.

Wait a minute lol.. LA, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston... Well teams are all ranked 1-4 in possession that DON'T rely on dump and chase... Whoops!

Edited by kickazz

Not lack of skill in the sense that he couldn't potentially be better, or do more if given more of an opportunity. But it is lack of skill in the sense that he's just not better than the guys who have played above him. Helm and Sheahan are both better offensively than Jurco, as well as better all-around. Everyone else that's played above him is far better offensively.

I'm saying that hasn't happened at all.

For one, he went from being a decent-but-hardly-exceptional highly skilled goal scorer in the QMJHL, to a mediocre scorer in the AHL for a year, then a pretty good scorer in the AHL the next year, to a mediocre scorer in the NHL. Funny to see you of all people talking about junior scoring as if it translates to the NHL.

He may get stuck playing with defensive players sometimes, but he's not used in the same way at all. He wasn't given near the same defensive responsibility that Glendening, Miller, and Andersson got.

And though I've said this often enough to doubt that anyone will pay attention, he spent a lot of time this season playing with players at least as or more skilled than he is.

207 combined minutes with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, and Larkin. 262 combined minutes with Richards, Helm, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, and AA. 272 combined with Andersson, Miller, and Glendening. Close to two thirds of his total ice time with at least one somewhat skilled player.