• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

I agree. Geez we are burdened with so many ailing players that when sucking, they will be given the excuse that they're not 100% yet.

Zetterberg, Kronwall, Ericsson, Pulkkinen,Jurco,did I miss anyone?

IMO, Kronner's and E can just retire. If we're not acquiring better D, let's just promote all 3 kids and go for it!

DD- Smith

XO - Green

Sproul -Marchenko

Jensen

f*** it.

Edited by LeftWinger

I agree. Geez we are burdened with so many ailing players that when sucking, they will be given the excuse that they're not 100% yet.

Zetterberg, Kronwall, Ericsson, Pulkkinen,Jurco,did I miss anyone?

IMO, Kronner's and E can just retire. If we're not acquiring better D, let's just promote all 3 kids and go for it!

DD- Smith

XO - Green

Sproul -Marchenko

Jensen

f*** it.

and will there be room for AA?

Do you guys think that its possible that's Babcock's coaching style led to a lot of these injuries? We have had a ton of injuries under his watch, and if you look at Toronto's roster last year, they finished the season with a ridiculous amount of injuries as well. I may be way off, but it makes sense.

Do you guys think that its possible that's Babcock's coaching style led to a lot of these injuries? We have had a ton of injuries under his watch, and if you look at Toronto's roster last year, they finished the season with a ridiculous amount of injuries as well. I may be way off, but it makes sense.

Yes. Datsyuk and Zetterberg NHL primes cut short because of his s***ty overusage and overburdening on certain players and his stupid defensive hockey. Hindsight I really am pissed about some of the stuff he put the guys through.

Super professional, I respect him , and I loved him when he was here but really not a fan of some of the stuff looking back at it.

Edit- but I also wasn't a fan of some of the stuff while he was here either. But because he was the coach at the time, it was tough to criticise him due to the respect factor.

Edited by kickazz

and will there be room for AA?

If Pulk and Jurco start off on injured reserve I'm sure they would be room for AA or Mantha to start the season. Even if Z needs to rest for a few weeks, I'd be ok with that. Like I said....f*** it.

Tatar-Nielsen-Vanek

Mantha-Larkin-Nyquist

Sheahan-AA-Helm

Miller-Glendening-Ott

Frk

DD - Smith

XO - Green

Sproul - Marchenko

Jensen

Let's roll...

Maybe behind the scenes Datsyuk and Zetterberg were the ones warring. Maybe Dats finally had enough of the Swedish Mafia b*******. Maybe datsyuk was part of the Russian mafia and they were battling each other behind closed doors. He got sick of them bringing in a mediocre to bad players just because they're Swedish. This is why he wanted to leave two years ago and then again last year and then finally had enough.

You're setting yourself up to be disappointed in Vanek

no not really I got him scoring 30 goals, if not more.

Honestly though I think he's going to surprise people in a positive way. He's trying to get another big contract next year from us or another team so I think he would give it his all a hundred percent of the time. At least one would hope.

wait, why is Abby scratched?

LOL that's who I forgot my bad guess mantha is out of luck. Edited by LeftWinger

Retire or get thef****** surgery moron

I'm sorry that's just af****** excuse if you can get surgery to fix it why wouldn't you? Instead you'd rather be a burden on your team.

I'm sorry that's just af****** excuse if you can get surgery to fix it why wouldn't you? Instead you'd rather be a burden on your team.

Surgery is one of the worst case scenarios in medicine. Astute physicians try to do everything they can to avoid surgery and if there is no other way they resort to it. Surgery has a lot of risks and complications and it sounds like for him it's not a 100% chance of fixing it. Surgery can also create a lot of scar tissue which can lead to more pain, sometimes chronic. He's also suffering from arthritis which is not really curable. I suggest you look at it from his shoes. It's easier to tell someone else to go under the knife.

Edited by kickazz

Maybe behind the scenes Datsyuk and Zetterberg were the ones warring. Maybe Dats finally had enough of the Swedish Mafia b*******. Maybe datsyuk was part of the Russian mafia and they were battling each other behind closed doors. He got sick of them bringing in a mediocre to bad players just because they're Swedish. This is why he wanted to leave two years ago and then again last year and then finally had enough.

I doubt they were warring with each other. They were best friends on and off ice and anyone who has been to games (and seen pre game drills) or public practices will tell you that they were. Sometimes during practices they were like little kids going at it with their own little drills goofing around and laughing. I was fortunate enough to witness a lot of this and take lots of snapshots since like 2003 if you're ever interested. And I think the Red Wings facebook page has a lot of stuff on there too. Lots of fun memories for those two along with fans.

Edited by kickazz

Has Vanek ever given his all 100% of the time? :P

I'm all for goal scoring and I think he'll help the power play/I like the signing, but the wings' goal scoring problems aren't going to be solved by one player.. It's gotta be a group effort.

Has Vanek ever given his all 100% of the time? :P

I'm all for goal scoring and I think he'll help the power play/I like the signing, but the wings' goal scoring problems aren't going to be solved by one player.. It's gotta be a group effort.

Don't you know? Every player we have is super valuable in a trade, new signings are going to have career years here, and Jonathan Ericsson is going to be a physical defenseman because he fought before in Grand Rapids. Still waiting on that.

I just happen to believe Vanek (if given top minutes and PP) will have a great year scoring. (30+ goals)

If I'm wrong, then at least he isn't a $2M more than he's worth overpaid career 4th liner. Vanek actually got paid for what he's been the last couple of seasons. Some others got paid for...well, not quite sure what for, $4M because they're fast on skates I guess.

Either way, if Vanek only scores 10-15 goals, it's only for a season and no wasted cap. If it was 5 or more years and $2M too much, well, talk about a wasted roster spot and cap space. But Holland would never do that. So we're lucky.

Vanek is definitely capable of 30 goals.. The key word being capable. I have doubts about his drive too though. It hasn't really ever been consistently there.. That's been his issue throughout his career from what I remember of him.

I think he'll score around 20 with 50 points and be streaky. I am a fan of the low cost high reward contract though.

Vanek is definitely capable of 30 goals.. The key word being capable. I have doubts about his drive too though. It hasn't really ever been consistently there.. That's been his issue throughout his career from what I remember of him.

I think he'll score around 20 with 50 points and be streaky. I am a fan of the low cost high reward contract though.

I'd love for him to score 20ish (+/- 5) with 50 (+/-10) points and not over-impress, and sign him to a longer deal at a lower cost. If he explodes, he's be in a position of power in the negotiations.

Be very very happy if Vanek scores 50 points. That's best case scenario

I predict he gets sheltered by Blashill but solidifies the third line and PP

The constant change up of lines especially on the PP has to stop. Blashill has plenty of options at forward he needs to find something that will stick

Edited by joesuffP

I still feel Vanek needs to get top 6. Problem is, your 3rd line will consist of Sheahan and Helm. Not the most offensive minded line mates. So putting any offensively minded shooter (Vanek, Nyquist, Tatar) would seriously hinder their output. IMO those two should be 4th line with Glendening, eliminating the need for Miller and or Ott. I could enjoy a bottom 6 of:

Nyquist - AA - Mantha

Sheahan- Glendening - Helm

Not that I'm a Helm fan all of a sudden, but he's here, signed and at that price needs to play and earn his salary.

Top 6:

Tatar - Nielsen - Vanek

Zetterberg - Larkin - Abby

Jurco and Pulkkinen can be dealt with when they're healthy. If Frk impresses in camp, I'd send Miller to GR and keep Frk and Ott up.

50 points for Vanek.

You guys might be in for a disappointment.

The constant change up of lines especially on the PP has to stop. Blashill has plenty of options at forward he needs to find something that will stick

How long you been watching the Wings? The line shuffling hasn't stopped since the early to mid 90s with Scotty Bowman.

I see what you're saying to a degree. Just a slight counter-point on this, more to your referencing the PP. In this day and age of technology, teams have video on opposing teams at their fingertips and even have a full time positions with "Video" in their job title (Wings have two). They even have video on the other teams via their iPads on the bench during games. Changing lines up and giving your team, or PP unit different "looks" at times can be also part strategy. I've heard Joel Quenneville state this a few times in interviews over the past few years. Even back 10 years ago video and opposition analysis wasn't nearly as developed as it is today. So, when the other teams know your tendencies, know where you break down, know how to better open shooting lanes, etc...it makes it much easier to develop a winning strategy as a team.

I'll be clear though, if you have a top 5 PP unit, or top 5 line in the league, you're not, or very unlikely to make any changes. Understood..."beat us if you can". But the days of a team jumping on the ice and having a "rough idea" of what the other team is going to throw at them and developing an effective strategy on the "fly" are over.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

50 points for Vanek.

You guys might be in for a disappointment.

How long you been watching the Wings? The line shuffling hasn't stopped since the early to mid 90s with Scotty Bowman.

I don't think 50 points is a stretch at all for Vanek. There have been far more bold predictions made around here than suggesting he could get 50 points. I'm not saying he will, but if he ends up scoring 50 pionts this year, it certainly won't come as a big surprise. He's certainly declined, but has still produced reasonably. See below for career stats (? for me may be whether he can maintain for long season....see big stats he put up in lockout shortened year (stats in brackets are pro-rated to 82 games):

'06 - 25g, 48pts (25g, 49pts)

'07 - 43g, 84pts (43g, 84pts)

'08 - 36g, 64pts (36g, 64pts)

'09 - 40g, 64pts (45g, 72pts)

'10 - 28g, 53pts (32g, 61pts)

'11 - 32g, 73pts (33g, 75pts)

'12 - 26g, 61pts (27g, 64pts)

'13 - 20g, 41pts (43g, 88pts) - lockout year

'14 - 27g, 68pts (28g, 71pts)

'15 - 21g, 52pts (22g, 53pts)

'16 - 18g, 41pts (20g, 45pts)

Career average over 82 games = 32g, 66pts