• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

well people can stop with low ball offers, McKenzie said the asking price is a top 4 LHD which from a wings pov relates to Danny D. plus solid forward.

which then would create the problem off whom to pair with Trouba. I think this has the potential to drag out for months.

If the rumours are to be believed and Trouba wanted out for months why didn't Kenny try to offer sheet him? if the jets are too cheap to pay their best defender offer sheet him with 8x8 and boom..Danny D. - Trouba without giving up assets damn

I do agree with you Frank that it will likely take DD to get Trouba, but with that being said, you even said it yourself, asking price and actual value are not the same thing. Of course Winnipeg is going to start this process asking for top value, we will see what happens. It is an interesting situation as being an RFA, Trouba does has more control then usual in this situation as nobody is going to want to trade for a player who may hold out. Trouba and his agent do have some power here.

8x8 for Trouba is just stupid. I am as high on Trouba as anyone, but the kid hasn't done anything yet. He's coming from a team where he played on the third pairing. All the potential in the world, but you don't pay 8x8 for potential. Coming from someone who always says not to put too much pressure on the kids, I dont see how you can justify 8x8 for a 22 year old, talk about pressure, geez.

If the rumours are to be believed and Trouba wanted out for months why didn't Kenny try to offer sheet him? if the jets are too cheap to pay their best defender offer sheet him with 8x8 and boom..Danny D. - Trouba without giving up assets damn

You don't know how it works. You'd give up four! 1st round picks with that offer, for the right to hilariously overpay Trouba.

well people can stop with low ball offers, McKenzie said the asking price is a top 4 LHD which from a wings pov relates to Danny D. plus solid forward.

which then would create the problem off whom to pair with Trouba. I think this has the potential to drag out for months.

What's stupid is, they want a huge return, but would get far less if he left RFA.

Glad people are noticing it. They better up his ice time this year.

He should be top line...

Tatar - Nielsen- Vanek (or Abby)

Yeah, I really don't get offering Trouba $8M per season when his reported asking price is only $7M. Great negotiation tactic... You want 7? How about we give you 8 instead?... Giving Trouba $8M per season would be insane. That would make him the 2nd highest paid defenseman in the league, behind only Subban. Not to mention giving up the four 1st round picks in an offer sheet would be terrible management...

I think you have to look at some of the recent contracts signed in Rielly ($5M over 6 years) and Jones ($5.4M over 6 years) or even Barrie ($5.5M over 4 years), and use them as a benchmark. I'd overpay as much as $5.5-6M, but any higher than that would be out of the question...

Like has been mentioned, Trouba has all the potential in the world, but as of right now, that's all it is, and you don't pay for potential, you pay for what a player has proven thus far.

I've made it very clear that I want Kenny to go hard after Trouba. And I'd be okay with him slightly over paying in assets, however no way would I want him to drastically over pay in cap or term, and 8x8 would definitely be a massive over payment.

I agree that DeKeyser is likely the only piece Winnipeg would have any interest in, that's why we should be looking at the three team trade involving Anaheim. We have pieces Anaheim would want, Anaheim have pieces Winnipeg would want, and Winnipeg have pieces we would want...

Yeah, I really don't get offering Trouba $8M per season when his reported asking price is only $7M. Great negotiation tactic... You want 7? How about we give you 8 instead?... Giving Trouba $8M per season would be insane. That would make him the 2nd highest paid defenseman in the league, behind only Subban. Not to mention giving up the four 1st round picks in an offer sheet would be terrible management...

I think you have to look at some of the recent contracts signed in Rielly ($5M over 6 years) and Jones ($5.4M over 6 years) or even Barrie ($5.5M over 4 years), and use them as a benchmark. I'd overpay as much as $5.5-6M, but any higher than that would be out of the question...

Like has been mentioned, Trouba has all the potential in the world, but as of right now, that's all it is, and you don't pay for potential, you pay for what a player has proven thus far.

I've made it very clear that I want Kenny to go hard after Trouba. And I'd be okay with him slightly over paying in assets, however no way would I want him to drastically over pay in cap or term, and 8x8 would definitely be a massive over payment.

I agree that DeKeyser is likely the only piece Winnipeg would have any interest in, that's why we should be looking at the three team trade involving Anaheim. We have pieces Anaheim would want, Anaheim have pieces Winnipeg would want, and Winnipeg have pieces we would want...

In a weird way - your buddy Brendan Smith may actually be the saviour here.

He would probably fit well on a pairing with Tyler Myers, and his advanced stats show that he is developing nicely. If you could start with Smith, throw in Oulette and Bertuzi/Svechnikov + a 2nd, I really don't see WPG balking at that offer - and we could afford it.

Sign him for 6 X 5,250,000 (Same ballpark as Rielly, Seth Jones, Dougie Hamilton) and you have your future top pairing in DK - TROUBA for the next 10 years.

Glad people are noticing it. They better up his ice time this year.

If he gets top line & top PP unit ice, he'll score 30 goals. I'd personally like to see Tatar-Larkin-Abdelkader as a line to start the year. Then Zetterberg-Nielsen-Vanek and Sheahan-Helm-Nyquist. Then the black hole of possession Miller-Glendening-Ott... unfortunately that means no Mantha or AA but I'm expecting that to be the case anyway.

If Tatar scores 30, Nyquist will need to be traded, they won't be able to afford both...unless they dump both Howard and Ericsson.

If Tatar scores 30 he'll be getting a huge pay day because his contract is up.

-----------------

Trouba trade ain't happening.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/9/28/13099004/report-jets-ask-for-jacob-trouba-to-red-wings-was-too-great-for-ken-holland

Edited by kickazz

-----------------

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/9/28/13099004/report-jets-ask-for-jacob-trouba-to-red-wings-was-too-great-for-ken-holland

Surprise, surprise Holland being Holland. Of course it's all speculation but if the price really was a first and only one of Tatar, Nyquist you gotta imagine that's a price you'd pay every day of the week.

Also people saying a 8x8 offer sheet is too much well guess what? That's the point of an offer-sheet it needs to be designed in a way that the other team won't match, so you get the player you want without giving up assets. Would he be overpaid at 8 mill per? You bet but I guess when all is said and done it will look like a bargain because the guy will be that! good in the future, also the cap keeps rising and Mr. I is loaded 8 mill per for him is nothing.

Surprise, surprise Holland being Holland. Of course it's all speculation but if the price really was a first and only one of Tatar, Nyquist you gotta imagine that's a price you'd pay every day of the week.

Also people saying a 8x8 offer sheet is too much well guess what? That's the point of an offer-sheet it needs to be designed in a way that the other team won't match, so you get the player you want without giving up assets. Would he be overpaid at 8 mill per? You bet but I guess when all is said and done it will look like a bargain because the guy will be that! good in the future, also the cap keeps rising and Mr. I is loaded 8 mill per for him is nothing.

Nobody is disputing that the Wings can afford it, its the cap management aspect of the deal that is ludicrous.

With that being said, I wonder who the forwards were that Winnipeg asked for? If it was Larkin and a forward, good job for Holland in standing his ground and not caving in to fan pressure. If it was say a Nyquist/Tatar, then I have to say I kind of wish he pulled the trigger and then gave their spots to a combination of Jurco/Mantha/AA.

Who knows what was asked, its all speculation.

If Tatar scores 30, Nyquist will need to be traded, they won't be able to afford both...unless they dump both Howard and Ericsson.

I think they are fine, they have Miller, Ott, Smith, and Vanek off the books next year, that's close to 7.5 million. Pus I do think next summer is when Howard gets moved as a 2 year contract should not be a hard sell if he doesn't decline anymore this year. E is not going anywhere unfortunately, unless he turns his game around, but if he does that I see Holland keeping him anyways.

except you do give up assets.

Wings can not offer 8 years.

It would cost 4 first round picks.

Trouba isn't worth close to $8 mil.

There's a good chance he'll nevrr be worth that.

They have zero cap room which would mean clearing $8 mil. Who do they have that makes relatively significant money that doesn't have a ntc and team would want? Dekeyser and Nyquist. Know what kind of value Holland would get for them with teams knowing he was stuck? Diddly.

So in reality it would cost Dekeyser, Nyquist, and four firsts for the privilege of significantly overpaying a defenseman and maybe a couple mid rounds picks.

Did you read that link? Is says nothing about a 1st+Tatar or Nyquist, is says from Dreger that they were asking for 2 of our higher level forwards.

Since it doesn't say prospects and many of our forward can't be traded due to their NTCs, I assume it's 2 of Larkin, Tatar, or Nyquist. I guess Z could be included in that group, but I doubt he'd be a target for them. I wouldn't give up 2 of that group for Trouba. If it was Tats and Nyquist, there's a chance we could replace them with Mantha and AA, but knocking out 2 main producers from a team that struggled with offence wouldn't be too smart.

-----------------

This writer is not that good. He basically implies here that Holland couldn't stomach his own offer. If you continue reading you do read that what he is saying is that Winnipeg countered, but this highlighted section sounds very odd.

"I know that Cheveldayoff received several offers during the summer. I know that one came from Detroit. I’m told that it involved two of their higher-level forwards, and Holland wasn’t willing or able to stomach that. As much as the Detroit Red Wings need defense, they can’t move out multiple pieces of scoring, otherwise they fill one hole and dig another."

Secondly, does anyone else find this headline grammatically incorrect? Its one thing on a message board, its another for a professional article.

Report: Jets’ Ask for Jacob Trouba to Red Wings was Too Great for Ken Holland

Edited by kliq

Well at least they have spoken before maybe spark up some more negotiations. With Trouba not showing up to training camp it makes things a bit more complicated. I doubt Trouba will want to sit out too long, I can see him signing a 1 year deal or something until a deal can be made

Sooo if Trouba signs a 1 year deal does that mean he would be a UFA in the summer? What happens if Trouba simply won't sign any deal unless it's a 1 year? If he really wanted to play in Detroit this would be best case scenario

Edited by joesuffP

Well at least they have spoken before maybe spark up some more negotiations. With Trouba not showing up to training camp it makes things a bit more complicated.

That's true, and its saying that the trade was offered in the summer. Since Trouba still hasn't been moved, that implies to me that Winnipeg was fishing for a steal and nobody budged. Hopefully now that the Trouba camp came out publicly with everything, they bring the price tag down.

Imagine if Trouba publicly stated he would only sign with Detroit and any other team he was traded to would be a 1 year deal. He'd handcuff the Jets and greatly benefit his soon to be new team.

Just daydreaming here I'm sure Trouba would never do this.....

I would love this, but it would make him look like a spoiled brat to the rest of the league lol