• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

I think they are fine, they have Miller, Ott, Smith, and Vanek off the books next year, that's close to 7.5 million. Pus I do think next summer is when Howard gets moved as a 2 year contract should not be a hard sell if he doesn't decline anymore this year. E is not going anywhere unfortunately, unless he turns his game around, but if he does that I see Holland keeping him anyways.

Not so sure, because Ott and Vanek will earn themselves new contracts.

What if Vanek scores 35 goals with 20 of them on the PP? you don't think Holland won't offer him an extension? If Ott scores anywhere near 10 and brings pugnaciousness back to our team, he will also re-sign.

Kick, I know he'll be due a huge raise, that's why I brought it up. If he scores 30 he will get every penny if not more than Nyquist. Especially after giving a 4th liner nearly $4M. That crappy deal set the bar high for signing in Detroit.

I think Callahan should be given a shot over both Miller and Ott, but that's not going to happen, because vets trump kids... I would have also liked to see Frk given a shot over Vanek, but that's not going to happen either. We could potentially lose one or both of those guys, and although not huge loses, still assets lost for nothing. We're also very likely to lose Ouellet or Sproul unless Holland pulls off a trade or continues to get "lucky" with injuries. I hope Sproul sticks if we're picking one or the other. Of all the players that are no longer waiver exempt though, the player I'm most afraid of losing is Coreau. He was unreal last year in Grand Rapids and he's proving so far in camp that he is / will be a legitimate NHL goaltender. I'm hoping he clears and will be Mrazek's backup to start next season (if not sooner).

That would be our luck, Comeau has a great camp, deserves a spot, gets waived and gets claimed....

I seriously hope this does not happen. Pissed off I will be!

These kids have got to be tired of being waived...

Coreau will have to go through waivers to play in GR?

Here are the players that will have to go through waivers:

Ouellet

Tangradi

Lashoff

Frk

Coreau

Sproul

Callahan

Street

Jensen

Pasquale

Cleary

Aubry

Campbell

Ford

Paetsch

Heater

Allen

Obviously some we have no worries or care too much about, but there are some that would be s***ty if we lost.

Add to that list Jurco and Pulkkinen as well.

Edited by LeftWinger

Every year we fret about which players we're going to lose to waivers.

Who was the last one? Ferraro? Plucked off of waivers, made a nice initial statement in Boston as most guys do... now what? 4th line duties with the Blues? Nestrasil? Had we been able to hang on to him, what? Another 3rd line center to jam up the works?

Don't get me wrong, there's a big list this year, and it pains me to lose guys for nothing or to see fairly decent prospects get traded away for players that just don't work out with the team... but that's the way the league works. It's a gamble for every team. Not every over-ripe Detroit prospect is going to make the Wings, but not every prospect is going to be claimed.

Those worried about Callahan. Jeez. Relax. Every team has a guy like Callahan on their minor team that they hope doesn't get scooped up off of waivers... and typically, they don't.

Honestly, who was the last guy we parted with via trade or through waivers that was a real loss?

I'm not at all worried about losing Callahan to waivers, and I agree that players like him are a dime a dozen. I just wish that we had given him a shot rather than signing Miller and Ott. Same way I felt last year losing Ferraro. No big loss, but I'd take Ferraro and Callahan over Miller or Andersson or Ott any day. That's just my opinion...

I do think that losing Sproul or Ouellet to waivers would be a much harder pill to swallow than any player we've lost in the past though...

Edited by krsmith17

Agreed. If we lost any of the three kid D, it would hurt more than Ferraro, Nestrasil or even if we lost Callahan. I'd hate to lose Frk as well.

I think Coreau would be a huge loss.

The only way I wouldn't be upset is if some of them were traded for what we need.

Edited by LeftWinger

I'm not at all worried about losing Callahan to waivers, and I agree that players like him are a dime a dozen. I just wish that we had given him a shot rather than signing Miller and Ott. Same way I felt last year losing Ferraro. No big loss, but I'd take Ferraro and Callahan over Miller or Andersson or Ott any day. That's just my opinion...

I do think that losing Sproul or Ouellet to waivers would be a much harder pill to swallow than any player we've lost in the past though...

Younger, cheaper... I certainly get it. Even though I like Drew Miller, I would have not lost any sleep if he was not re-signed.

...and yes, losing D prospects would certainly hurt more than the third and fourth line guys we've lost in the most recent past.

... Janmark?

Neither Janmark nor Jarnkrok -- fringe top 6 players, more likely to remain third line guys -- would be putting up the numbers in Detroit that they're putting up in Dallas and Nashville respectively. Not the same type of system.

Edited by e_prime

what gas he shown to convince a twan to take him and keep him in the NHL?

Solid offense, defense, and special teams ability at the next highest level in North American hockey.

Also, he's cheap and the salary cap exists.

Edited by kipwinger

Solid play in the AHL gets you an AHL deal.

? Every player not named Larkin passes through the AHL - that's how they earn a spot in the NHL. Solid play in the AHL gets you a call up and the chance at a spot.

In his 3rd year in the AHL, Callahan scored 26 there. That's more than Tatar or Nyquist ever scored in the AHL. That's pretty good for a player who would be for a lower line role.

For someone constantly criticizing the Glen, Helm deals - Callahan would be the alternative to signing those guys - so I thought you would advocate for him.

I would have liked to give Callahan a shot rather than signing either Miller or Ott.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

? Every player not named Larkin passes through the AHL - that's how they earn a spot in the NHL. Solid play in the AHL get you a call up and the chance at a spot.

In his 3rd year in the AHL, Callahan scored 26 there. That's more than Tatar or Nyquist ever scored in the AHL. That's pretty good for a player who would be for a lower line role.

For someone constantly criticizing the Glen, Helm deals - Callahan would be the alternative to signing those guys so I thought you would advocate for him.

I would have liked to give Callahan a shot rather than signing either Miller or Ott.

Hell even Larkin technically went to AHL. He played in the Calder Cup playoffs remember? Short lived passage but he too went thru the AHL entry point and into the NHL.

Edited by kickazz