• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

We already needed :

Top 6 Forward

Top 2 Def

Now with Dats leaving, going after Stamkos will be critical.

Top 6 forward, with some size and grit: Backes, Okposo, Lucic and Ladd are options (even if I don't like Ladd). Please don't mention Hudler as someone did... KH just realized that we need to get bigger and grittier. Hudler makes no sense as we are already small.

:lol: I only mentioned Hudler cause that'd be a classic Holland move. Obviously I'd rather see Backes or Okposo.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of the Wings going after Stamkos but we need to keep him away from the Leafs now that they have top pick this year. That team is going to be really good very soon, they just need a goalie.

They'll find a way to mess it up :P

There's definitely not "zero chance Trouba gets dealt". He was said to be available last season and I'm sure with the right package he could be again going into next season. Whether or not we have the pieces they would want / be willing to part with is a completely different story... Winnipeg has a solid top 4 in Enstrom, Byfuglien, Stuart and Meyers as well as Morrisey ready to crack the lineup next season or the year after. I don't think Trouba is untouchable but he certainly won't come cheap...

Calgary is definitely a viable option for Howard, but why would you say that Carolina wouldn't be? Lack has been decent, but he has lost a step since his Vancouver days. Ward is a UFA, and I'm not sure what he would be looking for in a new contract, but I would imagine something similar to his $6.3M. They could let him walk and trade very little to Detroit for a very similar calibre goalie and save a million in cap space...

Either way, it would be great to trade Howard wherever. And hopefully we can do so without retaining any cap...

Trust me nothin would make me happier if trouba was actually dealt to the wings I'm just finding it really hard to see them letting trouba go at the end of the day

They would much rather keep him over Myers Stuart or enstrom ... Yes I know enstrom had a no move but I'm sure the Jets would keep pushing him to allow them to trade him if need be

Trouba is 22 ...he's closer in age range to scheifele Connor laine ehlers and all these good young kids they got coming then the other d , hellybuyck is also 22 ... In 3 yrs big buff will already be in his mid 30s and will be on the downside when the kids really kick it into high gear, they'll need trouba

Just don't see him going ... As for Carolina getting Howard I guess it's a possibility , there just younger and going nowhere really so can't see them spending 5 per on a goalie but could definetly happen

Just think Howard in Calgary makes too much sense , but the more goalies would becomes available the harder it would be to get a trade done

You're wrong. There are many trades every year involving imbalanced cap hits. Players traded for picks or prospects make up the bulk of NHL trades, and they are all wildly imbalanced cap-wise. While if we were giving up 4 players, we'd probably have to take back some of Anaheim's garbage contracts (because of contract limit's, not the cap), they wouldn't be roster players and so wouldn't impact the cap.

The only reason for anyone to trade for Datsyuk would be because they specifically want the cap hit. Nothing would be retained. It would be pointless since the team wouldn't be paying any real money anyway.

You're missing my point. Trades with imbalanced cap hits only happen when the team taking on the larger cap hit is getting something worthwhile from the other categories - picks or the better hockey talent. I suppose it is possible that we give up a hefty amount of picks to make the deal go through, but a Nyquist+Jurco+Sproul/Ouelett for Fowler trade just isn't happening. Fowler is the best player in that trade, so Anaheim would be taking on a larger cap hit and worse players. There is no part of that deal that makes sense for them.

Unless you can tell me with a straight face that you would trade Fowler (A top pairing D-Man scoring at .41 points/game who is only 24) for Nyquist (A second or third line winger barely getting above .5 points/game and will be 27 next season), then don't tell me it can happen the other way. Other teams exist for the purpose of beating us, not giving us their best players and relieving us of our dead weight.

---

And no team is going to do us the favor of taking on Datsyuk's cap hit without asking for something in return. What that probably means is taking on some bad contract whose value is less than Datsyuk's but which would still impact our cap. No GM in their right mind would help us out in that way without taking a pound of flesh as payment - just because we're Detroit doesn't mean we get special favors.

You're missing my point. Trades with imbalanced cap hits only happen when the team taking on the larger cap hit is getting something worthwhile from the other categories - picks or the better hockey talent. I suppose it is possible that we give up a hefty amount of picks to make the deal go through, but a Nyquist+Jurco+Sproul/Ouelett for Fowler trade just isn't happening. Fowler is the best player in that trade, so Anaheim would be taking on a larger cap hit and worse players. There is no part of that deal that makes sense for them.

Unless you can tell me with a straight face that you would trade Fowler (A top pairing D-Man scoring at .41 points/game who is only 24) for Nyquist (A second or third line winger barely getting above .5 points/game and will be 27 next season), then don't tell me it can happen the other way. Other teams exist for the purpose of beating us, not giving us their best players and relieving us of our dead weight.

---

And no team is going to do us the favor of taking on Datsyuk's cap hit without asking for something in return. What that probably means is taking on some bad contract whose value is less than Datsyuk's but which would still impact our cap. No GM in their right mind would help us out in that way without taking a pound of flesh as payment - just because we're Detroit doesn't mean we get special favors.

The rumors that one of the Ducks young defensemen might be available came out when they were struggling to score early in the year. It was rumored they wanted to pick up a scoring winger. They have several good young D they might use to get one. Nyquist is one of the top young wingers in the league, regardless of what you may think. He's not elite, but neither is Fowler. Now, the Ducks did find their scoring touch in the 2nd half, so maybe they're no longer interested in a trade like that. And even if they are, Lindholm or Vatanen would be moved first I'm sure. But in the context of the rumors, it does make some sense.

And in the Datsyuk trade, he was giving up Pulkkinen as incentive. You may not think anything of him, whatever. If a team is looking to add cap to reach the floor, it shouldn't take much of an incentive. It wouldn't be doing us a favor. Datsyuk's cap hit would be something they actually want, since it would save them real money.

Actually there's teams out there who need the cap hit to reach the minimum floor. Moving Datsyuk's contract won't be an issue.

I believe the cap floor is around $52.8 million. Next year Arizona is would be at $33 million. They need to "spend" about $20 million this summer. The Red Wings would be doing them a favor by giving them Datsyuk's contract.

Carolina is another team in the same situation.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PHO

Edited by kickazz

Actually there's teams out there who need the cap hit to reach the minimum floor. Moving Datsyuk's contract won't be an issue.

I believe the cap floor is around $52.8 million. Next year Arizona is would be at $33 million. They need to spend about $20 million this summer. The Red Wings would be doing them a favor by giving them Datsyuk's contract.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PHO

They'll still ask for something in return. It's dirty, but true.

They'll still ask for something in return. It's dirty, but true.

I highly doubt it and various sports writers agree. There's no reason for a team to ask for anyone in return for Datsyuk's cap hit. A Pronger contract for Datsyuk contract has been mentioned many times and is an example of how it could work easily.

I highly doubt it and various sports writers agree. There's no reason for a team to ask for anyone in return for Datsyuk's cap hit. A Pronger contract for Datsyuk contract has been mentioned many times and is an example of how it could work easily.

Exactly. At worst they might want a 4th round pick for one of their 5th rounders as part of the deal, as we do have to take something in return. But that's about it.

Even if they asked for something in return (I'm not sure why they would because at this rate neither Carolina nor Arizona will be able to reach cap floor) it won't be anything crazy.

Worse comes to worse, Ken Holland could just keep Datsyuk's contract for the year. He wouldn't risk an asset for one year of salary and Arizona and Carolina know that. We have less to lose than they do. Especially because Shane Doan is 39 years old and there is no way they would resign him for 7 million dollars just to make up for cap lol. For one, Shane Doan might not be playing for Arizona.

Carolina is in an even worse position. They barely made the cap floor last year and this year Cam Ward's $6.3 million cap hit is up.

Edited by kickazz

I Really do hope we give up nothing. We really shouldn't have to, but this is business and some of these cutthroat GM's are gonna bust Holland for return. I think it'll be a waiting game, chicken race if you will.

We will find out soon enough.

That's why I think we might be able to trade Howard to Carolina. Their number one goalie is a UFA, and may not re-sign, they need to reach the cap floor, and it wouldn't cost them much in assets to acquire him...

Even if they asked for something in return (I'm not sure why they would because at this rate neither Carolina nor Arizona will be able to reach cap floor) it won't be anything crazy.

Worse comes to worse, Ken Holland could just keep Datsyuk's contract for the year. He wouldn't risk an asset for one year of salary and Arizona and Carolina know that. We have less to lose than they do. Especially because Shane Doan is 39 years old and there is no way they would resign him for 7 million dollars just to make up for cap lol. For one, Shane Doan might not be playing for Arizona.

Carolina is in an even worse position. They barely made the cap floor last year and this year Cam Ward's $6.3 million cap hit is up.

I really don't get the stuff I read online about how the wings have to give up a good asset to get rid of datsyuks contract like its a big burden on a team

If a budget team like Ottawa/Arizona want to spend the least amount of money possible then adding datsyuks contract is golden for them , they get to spend to the minimum which is a requirement and save 7.5 million dollars ... How is this datsyuks contract a big burden and we have to add a top draft pick or good prospect?

If that's the actual asking price then obviously we suck it up since there's only one year left on his contract

My thinking is datsyuks contract and a 4th in exchange for a 7th should be more than enough

I really don't get the stuff I read online about how the wings have to give up a good asset to get rid of datsyuks contract like its a big burden on a team

If a budget team like Ottawa/Arizona want to spend the least amount of money possible then adding datsyuks contract is golden for them , they get to spend to the minimum which is a requirement and save 7.5 million dollars ... How is this datsyuks contract a big burden and we have to add a top draft pick or good prospect?

If that's the actual asking price then obviously we suck it up since there's only one year left on his contract

My thinking is datsyuks contract and a 4th in exchange for a 7th should be more than enough

As of now, it looks like only Arizona, Carolina, and NJ might need help getting to the floor. All of those teams have a lot of spots to fill, so they might get there anyway. We can hope that more than one of them needs help, but if there's only one team that ends up having any interest, they could ask for a lot if they think we're more desperate than they are.

Most likely it will be fairly cheap. I would think less value than even Pulk. But you never know. Could be that no one even needs it.

Ducks' Vatanen is RFA so throwing an offer sheet his way might work, ducks are close to the cap limit

Ducks are nowhere near the cap, unfortunately. Like $20-22 million, and not much they need to do. They are a budget team though, so they probably don't want to spend to the cap. Though if they're worried about that, they'll likely move someone at the draft.

As of now, it looks like only Arizona, Carolina, and NJ might need help getting to the floor. All of those teams have a lot of spots to fill, so they might get there anyway. We can hope that more than one of them needs help, but if there's only one team that ends up having any interest, they could ask for a lot if they think we're more desperate than they are.

Most likely it will be fairly cheap. I would think less value than even Pulk. But you never know. Could be that no one even needs it.

Well if no one wants datsyuks contract at a good price to save cash then f*** them ... Pavel only has one year left , we can free up cap space by getting rid of Howard and hopefully Ericsson

And we have Quincey and Richards off the books this year .... We won't get ripped off , I'd much rather use pulkkinen in a package deal or give him some real ice time and see what he can do , than a throw in to get rid of a one year contract

I hope we can move his contract, but if it requires us giving up good assets, then screw it.

We are not going to win the cup next year, so why sacrifice the future for cap relief for 1 year. If we are in a situation where its either sign Stamkos AND give us assets, or keep the caphit and not get Stamkos, then sure I would do it. But if its a situation where its trading his contract to get cap space, then getting more Qunicey's and Richards, I would rather not lose the future assets unless we are talking a 7th round pick or something pretty insignificant (ie. a very low-end prospect).

Pulkkinen got 2 goals and got player of the game and led Finland to a 3-2 victory over larkin's u.s.a

More reason not to just throw him away in a deal to move up a few spots at the draft ... If he sticks around he needs a real shot and ice time , no way he shouldn't be getting 20 goals in the NHL

Ducks' Vatanen is RFA so throwing an offer sheet his way might work, ducks are close to the cap limit

We'd lose less in a trade than an offer sheet. There is a reason why they are rarely used: loss of first round picks.

Pulkkinen got 2 goals and got player of the game and led Finland to a 3-2 victory over larkin's u.s.a

More reason not to just throw him away in a deal to move up a few spots at the draft ... If he sticks around he needs a real shot and ice time , no way he shouldn't be getting 20 goals in the NHL

I'm not gonna get overly excited over an exhibition game. But I do hope he learns a lot at this tournament.

If we could get some help on the top 2 lines would love to have a third line of Abby-Z-Pulk. Pulk gets to play with a great corner guy in Abby, a strong playmaker in Z. I think that could be a deadly third next year. Plus obviously PP time will help if he is utilized for his one timer. Only takes a few goals from that dot for teams to respect him and take him away. That will open up more for the other 4 guys.

I believe the guy could get 20+ next year in this role

I'm not gonna get overly excited over an exhibition game. But I do hope he learns a lot at this tournament.

Won't get overly excited but there's no denying the kids got a talent for scoring goals ... Think we can both also agree he didn't get a fairly good chance along with athanasiou,mantha and other kids ... Giving someone 2-3 games and then putting them back on the 4th line won't help

Could be dead wrong but I believe he could get 20 goals next season,same as mantha .... Just have to be consistent and give them 12-16 minutes per game, ppl time , top 3 lines at least

Whether datsyuk actually returns or not he along with zetterberg has to go from 20+ to 18 minutes a night and we need to rest them at least 5-10 games ... More responsibilities to the kids is the only way we will find some other gems to come out and help the wings future

Gonna bring up some bad memories here.....

Just think...How many key playoff goals were disallowed while Homer was in front of the net?

And how the replays today would have allowed them.

At least Homer was able to put the puck in the net compared to the rest of the team from this year