• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

PVD, if you value "safe", "defensive", and "shot blocking" then yes, Glendening is a solid choice. However, I personally think all of those qualities are overrated in today's game. I prefer players that are capable and willing to take risks to make things happen offensively. The best defense is a good offense. I'd also rather players that use their speed and hockey smarts to position themselves so they don't have to block a ton of shots. I don't think Glendening is completely useless (like Miller and Ott), because he does have decent wheels. I just don't believe in locking up 4th line players for another 5 years at nearly $2M per, especially a full calender year before it needed to be done...

Fair enough.

So I think all the business of the offseason is done unless Kenny surprises us with a trade. This seems like the most uncertain feeling we've had going into the year. Will Nyquist and Tatar return to form? Will Blash learn from the mistakes of last year? How will Nielson (and to a lesser extent Vanek) fit into the lineup? What will the PP and PK look like with 2 new ass. coaches? Who will we lose from the D prospects? A lot of big questions and the season could end up many ways, I think.

The reality is don't overpay mediocre players, not even by as little as $500K.

Making thE playoff 25 in a row results in less than top tier players...but don't overpay them. That's the problem.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I was happy about the Ericsson contract when it was announced, after watching him play on the top pairing with Kronwall the majority of that season. I was also happy about the Weiss, Modano, and Howard (after making an all star team) signings when they happened as well.

Ericsson was a gamble that didn't pay off. So was Weiss. I didn't dislike either, although I would have preferred shorter deals. Modano was signed to be a third line center, came into camp out of shape thrn had a freak injury. If he hadn't had his tendon sliced he might have made a difference in the playoffs that year. I don't fault him for those contracts or signing Franzen when Hossa was dragging his feet. Howard is well worth his deal if he's on his fame, but unfortunately he's a mental midget and a couple bad games send him into a three eek spiral. It's the deals Holland has handed out the last two years that are really bad. Abdelkader shows little offensive upside the first few years of his career, manages 20 goals riding shotgun fir Datsyuk and is handed a seven year deal at over $4 mil a season. Helm doesn't even get 20 and is gifted almost as much for 5 years. Glendening is a dime a dozen player and Holland can't even risk losing him so he gets 4 years. Nielsen gets a deal that's going to bite the team in the ass in 3 or 4 years.

So we are now over the cap and haven't addressed defensive holes. And when I say holes I mean the s*** play of E and the decline of Kronwall. Is there a trade coming or what?

I'm hoping for that too. | know in the beginning STL has a really high asking price for Shattenkirk, but since then things have been a bit shaky over there maybe there's hope of trading for him moving other assets that aren't Larkin or AA

I wouldn't give up much for Shattenkirk on an expiring contract. I'd prefer to go after a defenseman with a little more term, or be sure he would be willing to re-sign in Detroit, like would be the case for a hometown kid like Trouba...

A trade for a D must happen. What would you give as trade for Trouba?

A trade for a D must happen. What would you give as trade for Trouba?

I think the Jets need Wingers?

Nyquist, Pulkinen, and 2 second round picks on the condition that Trouba re-signs with us.

I personally have no idea.

Edited by kickazz

I think the Jets need Wingers?

Nyquist, Pulkinen, and 2 second round picks on the condition that Trouba re-signs with us.

I personally have no idea.

I was thinking something along Nyq and Pulk too, and a pick perhaps, but I didn't know if it would be too much.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nyquist + Pulkkinen gets it done. Trouba's an exceptional young player who's only going to get better over the next few years. He has real #1D potential. Cheveldayoff would be justified in asking for Tatar/Nyquist + Mantha/Athanasiou/Svechnikov.

Nyq, Jurco and Pulk?

Jurco and Pulk value is too low right now unfortunately. It's going to have to be Nyquist + a prospect like Mantha and maybe some high picks too... jeez.

Holland would never do it. It's not his style.

Edited by kickazz

I can't see Holland making a big move for a dman, especially with the cap crunch the team is in. Holland's main focus should be finding creative ways to dump E and Howard like he did with Datsyuk. That will make things much easier

I know all the fans (myself included) want him to dump E, but has Holland or anyone on the Wings ever even indicated the idea? Obviously Howard has been shopped around, but I have never read anything about E.

I know all the fans (myself included) want him to dump E, but has Holland or anyone on the Wings ever even indicated the idea? Obviously Howard has been shopped around, but I have never read anything about E.

Yeah to be honest I don't think management or coaches even see Ericsson or his contract as an issue. I think it's just us. The only contract they ever considered moving has been Howard and Datsyuk's. And of course Kindl.

Edited by kickazz

Only that Khan tweet about him being bought out but was deleted seconds after. I don't think he's on the chopping block as of now. It would be in the teams best interest to see if he can turn his game around. As of right now the cap problems haven't prevented any deals from going through so I still have faith in Holland

I for one find these rebuilding years fun to watch

I won't be disappointed until Larkin and co have a few full seasons under their belt and the team still isn't making progress

Holland's made some questionable moves lately but I'm not going to act like he needs to be fired until he starts losing promising players because of it. When and if he makes a trade for an impact defensemen it will be very very important for the future of the team. Right now he's left himself a lot of options. Larkin could have been gone without playing a game for Myers if I remember the rumour correctly