• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

seemed like in oct we were going to get an amazing season from mrazek howard and abby than in the end everything went to s*** on top of the fact no other player not named Larkin or AA proved to be worth the value of gold

Well, the offseason is here again, sadly.

Yea, but...

Who else in sports can say they have a 25 year playoff streak?

We have a great young team that almost won many of the games they lost!

In this playoff series were tied in the third period every game!

We need more time for our young players to develop!

The refs suck and have it in for Detroit!

Holland hands are tied by the cap!

..ok, I can't do it, but I'm sure others can do just fine in coming up with all the weak head-in-the-sand homer excuses.

*Hangs up Larkin's jersey in the cloth cabinet*

The jersey needs a little rest, just as Larkin does. Hopefully they ground him from the Joe for at least a month as he needs to land mentally and rest his body. He has big shoes to fill in the future.

Well we made it to 25. It's a nice round number and suits well for an accomplishment if it ends next year, which I certainly predict. I also think Pav is done. And finally I predict we get 1 nice piece for the next season but have no idea who.

As for me, I'll be focusing on my game this off season as I'm returning from a meniscus surgery. Wanna move up a division or two.

Well, the offseason is here again, sadly.

Far too early.

Holland and Blash have a decision to make :

Go on with the Babcock Red Wings that we saw during the second half of the season. Playing it save, let the tie go to the veteran, play a shutdown style with guys like Andersson in the lineup who don't make many mistakes but also aren't scoring.

Or go with the new, the Blashill Red Wings we saw at the beginning of the season. Giving the young players a chance, with a fast and aggressive style of play.

I think the time has come to change to the latter one. In fact it's overdue. We might not make the playoffs with it the next two or three years with either option. This team needs to get out of its current mediocrity and option two is the way to do it. I hope Anderssons SHL-signing is a harbringer of things to come during this offseason.

If Zetterberg and Kronwall are our top center and dman at the start of next year, Holland should be fired.

If Pav wants to go, then go!

Trade the money so we can get someone in here like Stamkos.

Sproul, Marchenko, XO, are all out of options you idiot, keep signing Quincey and make sure to give Ericason a bonus.

Both assistants need to be replaced if not the entire staff.

5 years 4 first round exits, 3 first round exits in a row and making the playoffs because another re sucked even more. Like I've mentioned I hope the 2 more home games were worth it.

Such a disappointing season and I really hope the evaluation is starting next week. Front office needs some fresh ideas (new faces). I'm not going into dream land and thinking about Stamkos so starting next year:

- no top 6 center - Z can't do it anymore and Pasha is gone

- no number 1 defenseman

- still need a sniper

Don't give me that "if Larkin, AA and others will.." crap asking a 19 old to play top 6 center is asking for disaster build him up slowly. Goaltending has been average with some excellent games from both guys and tons to forget.

Lots of holes to fill and I have zero confidence that Holland can do it. He doesn't want to commit to rebuild nor does he go all in...Mr. I needs to ask him some tough questions and if he doesn't like the answers get someone else.

The people who thought keeping the streak alive so the young guns would gain experience, only need to look at the TOI for AA or even better Mantha. Well hope people enjoyed it because it was the last time for some time and add of course aside from Mantha the AHL cupboard is empty. If the Wings would have rebuilt starting 2012 they would have been in a much better position going forward but of course the streak was more important and patchwork fixes, waiting for some guys to become maybe better than they really are and other things were more important....

Personally this was the most boring season (NHL and Wingswise) ever this team lacks identity and a direction going forward.

This off season needs to be the busiest one in terms of trades, signings and changes since almost 2 decades for this team.

So who are some defensemen we can look out for st this years draft?? Possibly 15-60 incase we draft at 15 or drop Down to get another pick?

Also wanted to ask ... a defensemen I had my eye on last season went undrafted ... Lucas carlsson in Sweden is now ranked 15th skater in European draft prospects , usually a 15th ranked euro prospect would get drafted what round? 2nd or 3rd ?

At least the 15th pick worked out well for us last time? :/

We picked 19th last draft. Svechnikov.

I believe you are referring to the 2014 NHL draft, where we picked the gem Dylan Larkin (at the 15th pick) from University of Michigan who in retrospect should have gone top 5 at worst.

Edited by Jacksoni

What would it take to get harmonic off the islanders and then ship him off to the jets to get trouba??

Nyquist and marchenko + a mid pick for hamonic

Hamonic + pulkkinen for trouba

Chance? Sounds like alot giving up 5 assets but we need a potential future top pairing dman

Wouldn't even be close to it Snow wants a guy of equal value back. So you can bet they are going to ask for Mantha or Larkin

AA - A-
Datsyuk - B-
Glenny - B
Helm - B-
Larkin - A
Nyquist - C
Brad Richards - C+
Riley Sheahan - C+ (picked it up)
Abby - B
Pulk - C- (Hard to rate but I'd rather see him take the place of one of Nyquist or Tatar next year. I believe he'd provide just as much offense or more as either of them while being no worse defensively than Tatar).
Tatar - C
Z - C (points for not missing a single game and logging heavy minutes, even if it was hard to watch. His TOI next season should be around 15 min next year)
Jurco - C-
DD - B+
Big E - D+ (I'll give him a plus for somehow keeping positive plus/minus all season and playoffs. I know the stat is pretty meaningless, I guess this confirms it).
Mike Green - C+ (Picked it up but was pretty invisible for long stretches, I'm okay with his contract if he plays like he did the last 2 months of the season)
Kronwall - C- (a minus 21 is pretty disgusting. I don't know how he ends up with a -21 and E ends up positive.).
March - B-
Quincey - B-
Smith - B
Jimmy - C (stepped it up, played his best to get us into the playoffs)
Mrazek - B+ (elite level play besides that brutal stretch).
Mantha - B-

Anyone else? Andersson - plug rating

Coaching staff - D

whom ever decision it was to play the vets over the rookies - F

team construction and minutes allocated - F

season - C-

Joe Sakic level wrist shots fired this year: 5, all from Datsyuk.
Sammy level or worse wrist shots fired this year: 500+

Ericcson has to go (he won't, who would take him?). Quincey should not be resigned even though he did his role. Sign or bring up a new physical defensemen. One of the vanilla midgets has to go (Tatar and Nyquist). Two poor man's Kozlovs is one too many. Of course if Datsyuk is leaving I fully expect Kenny will panic about trading away any offense, even if that offense is completely invisible for long stretches. If any year is the year changes need to be made this is it.

Edited by Number19

I believe you are referring to the 2014 NHL draft, where we picked the gem Dylan Larkin (at the 15th pick) from University of Michigan who in retrospect should have gone top 5 at worst.

We'll get higher than 19 this year. We were 8th seed unlike last year

Wouldn't even be close to it Snow wants a guy of equal value back. So you can bet they are going to ask for Mantha or Larkin

Might not be what snow what's for harmonic but I'm sorry giving up a Larkin for harmonic is complete nonsense ... He's a good defensemen but he's not one of the elite dmen of then nhl , why would he fetch an elite prospect

I was referring to Larkin. Should've said something like "at least the draft worked out ok for us the last time we picked 15th." That's what I meant.

But looks like we'll probly pick 16th unless minny comes back and beats Dallas

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen, Ericsson, Howard and Abdelkader all on the books next season.

When you look at that alone, it's a sobering reminder of what a terrible position Holland has put this team in for the next couple years. Even if you can move maybe Howard's contract, that is still so much dead weight counting against the cap.

what does everyone think the % on resigning Richards is? It is so kenny style to resign him for no reason. I say 70% chance he is back even though it makes no sence. The Red Wings need a few d man that can actually play defense. We have guys like Smith, Green and Erickson who just turn the puck over almost everytime. If they cant move the puck without turning it over and can not even play D at all what good are they. Smith has no place in the NHL at all except maybe as a 4th line winger. Also the Red Wings havent had a scorer since Hossa left. Just someone that is a sniper and nothing else. We always have a team full of playmakers and nobody to put the puck in the net. 1 cheaper sniper and 2 Stay at home solid Dmen. Somehow make it happen. Trade Howard and maybe Nyquist. A buyout on Erickson would be amazing but obviously a pipe dream. Defense is where the team really lacks. Kronwall has taken a BIG step back in play also with his age.

Smith, again? Dude was our best d-man in the series (especially Game 3) and is about the only one that has any clue how to execute a clean breakout. He drives possession and pushes the play offensively.

I don't even remember any egregious Smith turnovers in this series, which was always his biggest downfall. Kronwall and Ericsson are by far the biggest issues on the back end -- amplified by the fact Blashill inexplicably kept them together as a pairing even though they have stunk together for years.

Smith, again? Dude was our best d-man in the series (especially Game 3) and is about the only one that has any clue how to execute a clean breakout. He drives possession and pushes the play offensively.

I don't even remember any egregious Smith turnovers in this series, which was always his biggest downfall. Kronwall and Ericsson are by far the biggest issues on the back end -- amplified by the fact Blashill inexplicably kept them together as a pairing even though they have stunk together for years.

I've always liked Smith and kronwall together. They'd make a solid second pair I think. Just gotta acquire someone to play with duke on the first and suddenly the top 4 looks really good. The key os to get Ericsson off the team.

I wonder if AA will be sent down? A deep playoff run with the Griffins would be great for him.

Scratch that AA being sent down was just confirmed on Twitter.