• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

I've always liked Smith and kronwall together. They'd make a solid second pair I think. Just gotta acquire someone to play with duke on the first and suddenly the top 4 looks really good. The key os to get Ericsson off the team.

I wonder if AA will be sent down? A deep playoff run with the Griffins would be great for him.

Scratch that AA being sent down was just confirmed on Twitter.

I agree with you -- I wanted Smith paired with Kronwall after they played together in the Boston series in 2014.

Not sure I would want Smith anywhere near Kronwall now, though. I think Smith needs a partner that can let him do his thing offensively and Kronwall is too slow to cover up for him anymore. I know there is a lot up in the air yet with the defense, but I would like to see a DeKeyser-Smith pairing going forward.

The scary part is that even losing Quincey, the Wings still have a logjam of d-men next season and they have never even given XO, Sproul, Russo or Jensen a serious look yet. We don't even know what we have in any of them because players like Ericsson and Quincey have been blocking them from the NHL. I think Ericsson will be impossible to move, even if Holland got out of his comfort zone and tried. A 32-year-old, overpaid, turnover prone d-man signed for four more years isn't going to fetch much interest. I think the Red Wings are more likely to see Smith as the trade piece, which I think would be a huge mistake.

Athanasiou will not be joining the Griffins, at least to start the playoffs due to a family matter. If he was sent down, I would assume it was just on paper, so he would be eligible later in the playoffs if / when his family matter is resolved...

If I were Holland, my number 1 priority this offseason would be PK Subban. If the rumors of his availability are true, Holland has got to make that happen. I would be willing to trade anything up to and including Mantha+++. And if it turns out he is available but gets traded to another team, then Holland can GTFO.

If I were Holland, my number 1 priority this offseason would be PK Subban. If the rumors of his availability are true, Holland has got to make that happen. I would be willing to trade anything up to and including Mantha+++. And if it turns out he is available but gets traded to another team, then Holland can GTFO.

If PK is truly available, then I would be perfectly fine with the team throwing everything at him. I love him, and I would also love to see the Head 'Splodey that would happen to a few members around here :lol:

Edit: Backes and Subban. That's what I want from this offseason, dammit.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

If PK is truly available, then I would be perfectly fine with the team throwing everything at him. I love him, and I would also love to see the Head 'Splodey that would happen to a few members around here :lol:

I love watching heads 'splode around here Edited by Bannedforlife

Athanasiou will not be joining the Griffins, at least to start the playoffs due to a family matter. If he was sent down, I would assume it was just on paper, so he would be eligible later in the playoffs if / when his family matter is resolved...

I don't want him to rejoin the Griffins only because back in February when he was first called up I went on a limb and said that he played his last game as a Griffin, and I want so badly for my prediction to be true that I'm willing to have the Griffins suffer through the playoffs without him. Although at this point even if he does play it's kinda a technicality right?

Source:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/81119-26-gdt-new-york-islanders-at-red-wings-730-est/?fromsearch=1

Jeff, what will you do differently next year. Nothing? Pack your stuff.

Don't bring back any of the ufa players

Don't sign anyone over the age of 30 to more than 3 years, and nobody over the age of 33 at all

Upgrade the D and get a physical top 6 forward. Trade Tatar or Nyquist plus whoever else it takes.

With every pick in this draft - spend it on some kid from western Canada with a penchant to shoot 1st, and ask questions later, and a habit of using his physical size to his advantage by plastering opponents into the boards, and punching faces.

I don't give a damn how 'fast' he is...All that means is he'll get to the net faster only to take some lame wrister square into the netminders chest, or make a half-assed backhander that some pimp from nasty side of Detroit laugh at.

Nope, we take shots most of the time. We need guys that can play in front of the net. Gauthier, Brown, or Jones are the best picks at 16.

I love Subban and would love to have a player like that on this team, I'm just not sure I would be willing to give up what it would take to get him here...

10 years of DeKeyser - Subban would be far more beneficial than 5 or 6 players/prospects/picks that may or may not pan out Edited by Bannedforlife

Soooo apparently there's a lot of stuff going off on twitter that zetterberg ran the show?

He's responsible for Ericsson and kronwall getting the minutes and Andersson staying over mantha lmao

And apparently more news of this will come out tonight ....bullocks

Source? Also I think I stated that multiple times

I don't know about Suban but a definate yes, yes, yes to Backes!

I really hope that's not true. Z would have to be traded, can't have that again next year.

That's ridiculous. Didn't it come out that Z was pushing for more minutes for Athanasiou? Also, it just doesn't make any sense for them to push for someone like Andersson to come back.

I think Z and Kronwall definitely lead the room, they're the leaders for a reason, but they weren't destroying the team so their buddies could play. That's just retarded.

I do think Blashill deferred to the vets too much, and it's because he's so new to the league. But I don't think they were making team wide line decisions.

Handling vets and kids requires different approaches. Babcock had a similar problem when he joined the Wings, only he road the vets too hard in practice and tried to micromanage. I think Blashill just panicked and left morale and motivation purely to the vets, thinking they'd find that next level and carry the team. I doubt he makes that mistake next year.

Guy on twitter out this link on his tweets

http://detroitsportsrag.net/the-red-wings-swedish-mafia-problem/

That was one of the most asinine, overly dramatic attempts at a smear job I have ever seen. Who TF even is this nobody? Lmao "mafia" gtfo

Diversity, yay!

-------

Lol at people who think the Swedish mafia runs the team.

Edited by kickazz

Here's what I think about the speculation that Zetterberg and Kronwall are running the team -

I don't think it's far fetched to think that way. But I do think it's a bit overdramatic.

Remember when Babcock was the coach everyone used to say "WHY IS ANDERSSON IN THE LINE UP"?? "WHY DOES BABCOCK LIKE ANDERSSON SO MUCH"

Then the same was said about Daniel Cleary and everyone blamed Babcock for it along with Holland. On top of that everyone would blame Holland and Babs for overriping the AHL kids and not playing them.

Now that Babcock is gone people are simply looking for someone else to blame. Looks like the new whipping boys are Zetteberg, Kronwall and as always Ken Holland. Soon as Z and Kronner are gone it will be someone else.

I think folks are having amnesia about how this org has ALWAYS been weird about trusting the younger players. This isn't something that started with Jokim frickin Andersson and Anthony Mantha. This crap has been going on since the 90s. They drafted Datsyuk in 98 and wouldn't let him enter the NHL till 2001. They drafted Z in 99 and wouldn't let him play till 2002.

TL;DR Management runs this team and nobody else. Don't kid yourself.

Edited by kickazz

Respectfully disagree.

So many prime chances for a quality shot are passed by courtesy of our Euros (Dats/Hank/Tatar/Nyquist) in favor of a pass...It's been this way for the past 4 plus years...We are in need for a guy/s who is selfish, and has a decent shot.

It's also these sorts of players that hang around the slot, and in close to the opposing netminder to get those loose rebounds that we're unable to get to since few have the courage to go there.

Ya I was watching the 2008 playoffs and so many of the goals were just from throwing pucks to the net. This team never uses the far pad for rebounds it's so easy to do and gets you lots of goals