• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Exactly. Blashill has power of who plays from the pool that Holland gives him. He said that AA wasn't good enough in camp, yet he was given AA, so Blashill has him in the pressbox.

But, see, I don't know if I really buy that he doesn't believe AA was good enough. I think it's entirely possible he's just playing nice, playing politics. Like Babcock said (if a little sarcastically) in that Duff piece:

"I just said I’d ask the other guy and then I’ll support everything he’s decided." ("The other guy" being Holland.)

I think Holland is, at the end of the day, The Decider and The Influencer. I think Blashill -- who works for and reports to Holland -- is under "gentle pressure" to make certain calls and do certain things a certain way. (The Red Wings Way.) I honestly think AA is on the roster because Blashill pushed hard enough for it. (The same thing he had to do last season re: Larkin.) I think Holland wants AA in Grand Rapids. I think Holland feels AA isn't NHL-ready. I think Holland wants a fourth line of Ott-Glendening-Miller. I think the compromise, for now, is AA sticks with the team but still has to "wait his turn." I think Holland wears clownshoes.

54 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Now, to be fair, Babcock doesn't explicitly say, "Ultimately, I don't have the final say in who plays and who doesn't. Like, if Kenny wants a guy in the press box, that guy is sitting in the press box." Babcock seems to be talking more about decisions re: where [x player] is playing (i.e. Grand Rapids or Detroit). So, maybe it was (and remains?) a situation where the head coach had (and has?) total control over who plays on any given night. But if Holland was (and is?) over-exerting his power as GM re: who is and isn't on the Red Wings roster...that, to me, raises questions. I don't believe the head coach of the Detroit Red Wings, in this day and age, has full control of the roster in terms of who is and isn't on the roster and who he does/can and doesn't/can't play.

To me the GM should have no say so who stays up or goes down.  He should be getting the best players to play, make the salary negotiations, etc.  But he should have no say so on who should be playing.  Has he ever been a coach?  I've done some research and so far haven't found anything.

Just now, Hockeymom1960 said:

To me the GM should have no say so who stays up or goes down.  He should be getting the best players to play, make the salary negotiations, etc.  But he should have no say so on who should be playing.  Has he ever been a coach?  I've done some research and so far haven't found anything.

I agree -- that's how it should be. (Unless the coach has truly lost the plot.) I don't believe that's how it works in Red Wings Land, though.

58 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Exactly. Blashill has power of who plays from the pool that Holland gives him. He said that AA wasn't good enough in camp, yet he was given AA, so Blashill has him in the pressbox. Not sure what his opinion of Frk was, but at least if AA was in GR (safely) and someone had to be in the pressbox, why not make it Frk? Why waive him? Because the blundering idiot thinks that just because someone won't trade for a player that no one is interested in them.  Obviously multiple teams were.  They just played Holland like the buffoon his is.

The only thing I can think of, is right now is probably the easiest time to waive someone without them being claimed as every team is dealing with trimming their roster and the least amount of injuries they will likely deal with since the season has not started. Had Holland waived Frk in a month, I would guess the probability of being claimed goes up. Obviously a moot point though since he was claimed.

That's just a theory though, I could be dead wrong.

At the end of the day, I don't think losing Frk is a huge deal. I'm pretty sure anyone asking for Holland's head for this was asking for his head before the claim.

12 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

That is what a GM does, his job is to assemble a roster for a coach to utilize. You can't have a GM have full control on who he trades for, picks up on waivers etc. if he doesn't have say on who is on the roster. If your way was the way it was done, theoretically a GM could trade for a player, then the coach could waive him only for him to be picked up by another team.

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

That is what a GM does, his job is to assemble a roster for a coach to utilize. You can't have a GM have full control on who he trades for, picks up on waivers etc. if he doesn't have say on who is on the roster. If your way was the way it was done, theoretically a GM could trade for a player, then the coach could waive him only for him to be picked up by another team.

No that's not what I meant at all.  I don't think a GM should have say so who basically gets to play and who doesn't and who should be up and who should go down (waiver exempt I mean)

Edited by Hockeymom1960

4 hours ago, joesuffP said:

To be fair if the team was chosen fairly based off training camp then the fourth line deserves to start the season together

Yeah? And were you at training camp watching the 4th line play? "Deserves" to play lol. Quit hyping the 4th line, we all know you're truly basing your judgement off the preseason games. There's literally no basis for your argument as far as training camp is concerned, because you don't know how the training camp was because their performance wasn't reported to the press. Which means none of us know how the players actually performed in training camp.

Take a minute to think about it, freshly signed Miller and Ott aren't going to be waived. That would look terrible for management. Even Khan mentioned this indirectly in his article few weeks ago.

Edited by kickazz

Let's just remind everyone that this is all ridiculous speculation just in case somebody reads this and assumes there's any facts involved

To read Blashill's comments about AA and having him scratched then jump to this crazy conspiracy that it was all Holland is really ridiculous

Edited by joesuffP

32 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

No that's not what I meant at all.  I don't think a GM should have say so who basically gets to play and who doesn't and who should be up and who should go down (waiver exempt I mean)

I agree with who should play vs shouldn't play based on who is on the active roster. But I don't agree an NHL head coach should have the power to decide who should be sent down vs who shouldn't.

If a GM wants to have a kids play a big role on the AHL team, that should be the GM's decision, not the NHL coaches decision. In your scenario, if Blashill wanted to play say AA 3min a game in the NHL, and Holland wanted him to play 22min a game in the AHL, Holland would have no say.

51 minutes ago, kliq said:

I agree with who should play vs shouldn't play based on who is on the active roster. But I don't agree an NHL head coach should have the power to decide who should be sent down vs who shouldn't.

If a GM wants to have a kids play a big role on the AHL team, that should be the GM's decision, not the NHL coaches decision. In your scenario, if Blashill wanted to play say AA 3min a game in the NHL, and Holland wanted him to play 22min a game in the AHL, Holland would have no say.

I think you're over blowing what I'm saying. 

I think it's safe to say this thread has served its purpose and then some. The conversation is no longer about off season topics. Let's get some threads going regarding this stuff instead of an all-purpose junk drawer of a thread.