• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Alexander Radulov: Wings on short-list of desired teams

Rate this topic

"Elliote Friedman went on Sportsnet 960 in Calgary Friday morning and weighed in on the Alexander Radulov sweepstakes, as well as the Pavel Datsyuk situation

. Chris Nichols over at Todays Slapshot had the full transcription of what was said:

Well, I think were all expecting it, right? That hes going to end up in Russia. Even Ken Holland this week, I saw one of his quotes was, Would I like it if he came into my office and said, Ive changed my mind and Im going to stay. But do I expect him to say that, no. And Saint Petersburg was always the team.

I do think Detroit will try to trade the contract. I think depending on what theyre willing to do as part of that, they will be able to find a partner. But I would them to try to trade the contract.

I also think that right now, if I had to pick where Radulov was going in the NHL, Id say Detroit is the most likely team. Im not saying for sure 100 percent its going to happen, but it sounds like that theres an attempt being made for him to go there, and to sign him."

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/5/27/11797382/friedman-red-wings-most-likely-to-land-russian-winger-alexander-radulov

If Radulov signs with the Wings I'm willing to bet Datsyuk had something to do with it, as I said earlier in this thread. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

If Radulov signs with the Wings I'm willing to bet Datsyuk had something to do with it, as I said earlier in this thread. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

If he does, in fact. end up here, who centers him? First or second line? I'd almost like to see him on the second line, with Zetterberg manning the other wing and an unnamed center. Zetterberg might help even him out if he's still quick to overreact or act out.

Although I'm still of the mind that Z belongs as our third line center at this stage in his career.

I've read i numerous places that the most likely destination for him is the Aves. Roy coached him in QMHL and I'm sure he knows Varlamov from international play.

The more I think about it, though, the more I'm in for signing him as long as it's not long term. The playoff curfew incident was definitely unprofessional and I'm not excusing him. But it's a little more understandable is If you think about it from his perspective: he couldn't have been that personally invested in the team's success - he only played 9 games for them in that season. If you're really part of a team you wouldn't go drinking on playoff night.

Also, for the reports of him being bad for the locker room - I put that in the context that he wasn't even in the league for 2 full years (06-07 started in AHL, played 62 g) and he was 20 or 21. First of all, the North American hockey media rarely positively portrays Russian players so I always question how much is bias and what's actually going on, Secondly, if there were issues, I'm sure he's wiser at the age of 29 now.

Putting aside whether he's worth it or not, has anyone thought about why the Wings are on of the teams on his short list? I think It's awesome, but with all the negativity I hear people say about players not wanting to come here it makes me wonder. I assume It's not the opportunity to play with Datsyuk, seeing as how he's leaving.

I think it's because we're not good. Guys with big egos like being "The Guy" and he sees a chance to be the star and run the show.

Either that or Datsyuk is really putting pressure on him to come here for a decent price as a way of paying back the Wings for leaving them in the lurch.

I've read i numerous places that the most likely destination for him is the Aves. Roy coached him in QMHL and I'm sure he knows Varlamov from international play.

The more I think about it, though, the more I'm in for signing him as long as it's not long term. The playoff curfew incident was definitely unprofessional and I'm not excusing him. But it's a little more understandable is If you think about it from his perspective: he couldn't have been that personally invested in the team's success - he only played 9 games for them in that season. If you're really part of a team you wouldn't go drinking on playoff night.

Also, for the reports of him being bad for the locker room - I put that in the context that he wasn't even in the league for 2 full years (06-07 started in AHL, played 62 g) and he was 20 or 21. First of all, the North American hockey media rarely positively portrays Russian players so I always question how much is bias and what's actually going on, Secondly, if there were issues, I'm sure he's wiser at the age of 29 now.

Wasn't the coach he assaulted on his Russian team? His bad behavior followed him to Russia, too.

Getting radulov would be huge!! Throw in a Loui erikson/okposo/brouwer and Matt Martin that would be great!!!

Then flip Tatar + for vatanen

Move datsyuk to Arizona

Move Howard to the canes/islanders

Move E to anyone, if not bury him

Sign Montoya

Abdelkader- Larkin-erikson/okposo/Brouwer

Radulov- AA- Nyquist

Zetterberg- sheahan- mantha

Martin- glendening- jurco

Kronwall- green

Dekeyser- vatanen

Smith- marchenko

XO- Sproul

Mrazek

Montoya

I like that roster a lot and think it could compete and be better built for playoff hockey. If Larkin, mantha, and AA all take good steps forward it could be very good.

I think it's because we're not good. Guys with big egos like being "The Guy" and he sees a chance to be the star and run the show.

Either that or Datsyuk is really putting pressure on him to come here for a decent price as a way of paying back the Wings for leaving them in the lurch.

Wasn't the coach he assaulted on his Russian team? His bad behavior followed him to Russia, too.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one....and there was video too. I withdraw my statement, haha.

Hmm, didn't know that Eriksson was going to be a UFA. Hopefully our Swedish mafia can be a draw for him coming here. For me, Loui would be a better pickup than Radulov or Okposo. I think people want grit, thinking of those 2, but I think we need scoring more and with Loui it's still adding size since he's 6'2".

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Oh yeah, forgot about that one....and there was video too. I withdraw my statement, haha.

Idk I read up on that and speculation was it was an accident since the coach didn't react at all and went about his business. If someone's hitting you on purpose you tend to react in some way at least.

Edited by kickazz

Maybe, but if you watch the video again, it's hard to see this as an accident:

Well, watch the slow mo. He looks to the side as if looking at 90 degree angle to him. Then he slams his arm against his bench, the coach behind him raises his hand but then immediately goes back to reading as if nothing happened. Radulov then notices the coach behind him and THEN turns around (he does a double take) at about a 180 degree angle (where the coach is in respect to him) because he likely reaiized he was there and raises his hand (Radulov raises his hand). Why raise his hand after his 2nd look? Did he say "my bad"?

I just can't see it as an assault if the coach didn't react (and took it like some dude in prison) and Radulov did a double take after hit threw his "fit". The double take seemed like someone who noticed something behind him immediately. Plus I read that the coach was their goaltending coach. Unless Radulov has a thing against goalies and their coaches lol

I'm not trying to make excuses for this guy. He's obviously got anger issues which worries me for the locker room for the Wings. But I just don't get how this was an "assault" if the coach didn't seem to care during the act and after it, the team didn't take any action and the league didn't address it. It just seems like a misinterpreted video. I think the guy just threw a fit and the goalie coach happened to be in the line of fire. Either way the act is inexcusable for a professional grown man imo.

Edited by kickazz

How could it be an accident? Why would he which is arm and stick back so hard and fast? I've never seen another hockey player do that on the bench. And the double take looks more like a sneering "what of it?" look but that's obviously a bit of imagination on my part. Doesn't look like an accident at all.

It looks like an accident from the stuff I highlighted in my previous post. I explained my perception of it lol.

Haven't you ever seen or heard of people get pissed off and punch the wall like idiots before? This is what it seems like to me. A coach happened to be in the line of fire. We had a guy like him on my lacrosse team way back when. He would throw his stick after a poor defensive play. One day he hit one of the guys by accident when he threw his stick out of his usual fit. Our coach benched him rest of game. I could easily see an outsider thinking he threw his stick on purpose at the guy. But it was a pure fit of rage nothing more. I mean even now in random pickup hockey games I play with older groups, you see guys randomly throw fits. It gets really annoying

Anyways, I don't see how anyone can get away with assaulting their coach. Russia isn't a third world nation and Radulov isn't a government official. I can only conclude it as an accident if he got away with it. Either that or Putin did him a favor lol.

Hell even Dennis Wideman got hammered with 20 games for getting hit along the boards and "accidentally" hitting the ref.

Edited by kickazz

Getting radulov would be huge!! Throw in a Loui erikson/okposo/brouwer and Matt Martin that would be great!!!

Then flip Tatar + for vatanen

Move datsyuk to Arizona

Move Howard to the canes/islanders

Move E to anyone, if not bury him

Sign Montoya

Abdelkader- Larkin-erikson/okposo/Brouwer

Radulov- AA- Nyquist

Zetterberg- sheahan- mantha

Martin- glendening- jurco

Kronwall- green

Dekeyser- vatanen

Smith- marchenko

XO- Sproul

Mrazek

Montoya

I like that roster a lot and think it could compete and be better built for playoff hockey. If Larkin, mantha, and AA all take good steps forward it could be very good.

Unplug the PS4/Xbox, put down the controller and walk away slowly.

I can't see teams being dumb enough to give him 3+ years, especially Holland. In order for the Wings to sign him it would have to be a safe deal in which I'm all for. It allows the wings to be competent enough to allow the young guys to mature without mortgaging the future

I'm thinking 4 million sounds "fair" for him. He is afterall the best/ 2nd best scorer in the KHL. I don't see us paying him less than Nyquist. But if Holland pulls it off then great.

Edited by kickazz

Anyways, I don't see how anyone can get away with assaulting their coach. Russia isn't a third world nation and Radulov isn't a government official. I can only conclude it as an accident if he got away with it. Either that or Putin did him a favor lol.

Hell even Dennis Wideman got hammered with 20 games for getting hit along the boards and "accidentally" hitting the ref.

It is a weird incident and without context it's hard to fully decipher what's really going on. To me, he looks back before, so I feel there's no way he wouldn't have seen the guy. And when trying to view it an accident, that's not the apology of someone who cares that they just hurt you. I've talked to many others that see it the way you do, though.

I don't think him getting away with it is should sway judgement, though. I mean, Ray Emery wasn't punished when he punched his team's trainer in the KHL for putting a hat on his head.

Not saying we shouldn't sign him because of character, but I went searching for some other evidence of what his issues might be...

Radulov gesturing his own Torpedo toward the Torpedo's coach:

Also, being a bit of a jerk to a rink attendant. I think this can be excused as heat-of-the-moment, though. Plus who really knows what they are saying...

Anyway, I've decided I want Eriksson. Radulov only on a 1 or 2 year, lower money deal. The real focus should be on making a D trade so I'm also fine if we go with the youngsters upfront.

The Avs are for sure the front runners to land Radulov

Not according to Elliot Freeman. Back when Radulov first expressed interest in returning to the NHL, there was speculation that the Avs were the front runners. But as the weeks have passed, the Wings are the current favorites to land him. But as of now, nothing is 100% set in stone.

Really hope we do get him though. As long as we don't drastically overpay for him.