• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OldTimeWinger

Making a move with AUTHORITY!

Rate this topic

Regardless of team and Mgmt rationalizations for the 2015-16 season and softball assessments from Detroit's press, it's clear this club has worn the tread off the Winged Wheel.

So the faithful don't hyperventilate, get a paper bag handy. The present day Wings can't score or defend. If not for the Parise-less Wild, they would have been the worst team to make the playoffs. Ah ...., let me restate that: They were the worst team to make the dance at a -13 goal differential.

Now that we have the cold hard facts of the away, let's give the DRW brain trust something to think about:

* No one, NO ONE, on this team should be considered untouchable.

* Who really believes Petr Mrazek can be an elite goaltender, capable of putting the team on his shoulders and win a PLAYOFF game(s)?

* Who really believes that there is a #1 or #2 D-man on this team?

Call me old fashioned. I remember Jacques Demers and Bryan Murray to Mike Babcock and Jeff Blashill. The 25-year playoff run and four Stanley Cups were built from the Defense out.

Understanding that Nicklas Lidstroms and Duncan Keiths don't grow on trees, the Wings -- with an excess of more than capable and trade friendly forwards -- need to make the strongest play for THE top defenseman in the '16 Entry Draft.

What better way to pay final respects to the Joe and open a new barn than with the reassertion by the Detroit Red Wings as SERIOUS players in the chase for the Cup!

Neither Nick Lidstrom nor Duncan Keith were taken with a high draft pick. Neither were PK Subban or Shea Weber for that matter. Erik Karlsson was drafted 15th overall, and players like Luke Schenn and Colton Teubert were taken before him. The point I'm making is with how much research and scouting goes into the decisions made on draft day, its still incredibly lucky when a player who isn't number 1 or 2 overall makes it to the NHL, let alone becomes a star. And historically the top picks just aren't traded.

Edited by Echolalia

Regardless of team and Mgmt rationalizations for the 2015-16 season and softball assessments from Detroit's press, it's clear this club has worn the tread off the Winged Wheel.

So the faithful don't hyperventilate, get a paper bag handy. The present day Wings can't score or defend. If not for the Parise-less Wild, they would have been the worst team to make the playoffs. Ah ...., let me restate that: They were the worst team to make the dance at a -13 goal differential.

Now that we have the cold hard facts of the away, let's give the DRW brain trust something to think about:

* Who really believes Petr Mrazek can be an elite goaltender, capable of putting the team on his shoulders and win a PLAYOFF game(s)?

Call me old fashioned. I remember Jacques Demers and Bryan Murray to Mike Babcock and Jeff Blashill. The 25-year playoff run and four Stanley Cups were built from the Defense out.

Understanding that Nicklas Lidstroms and Duncan Keiths don't grow on trees, the Wings -- with an excess of more than capable and trade friendly forwards -- need to make the strongest play for THE top defenseman in the '16 Entry Draft.

What better way to pay final respects to the Joe and open a new barn than with the reassertion by the Detroit Red Wings as SERIOUS players in the chase for the Cup!

Goaltending is not our issue.

I think Mrazek with the right team in front of him would be great.

I think DK is a solid #2 - but could absolutely use a #1. I don't see any point in moving Green.

I think Larkin and AA are right where they should be.

I think Zetterberg, Abdelkader and Kronwall won't go anywhere, even though I wouldn't argue against moving Kronwall - they just won't move those guys.

Outside of that? If it's worth it, it's worth it.

I think losing Pav means Holland absolutely needs to land a legitimate goal scorer, e.g. Stamkos.

The last few years Holland seems to get the guy who was maybe that guy at some point in his career, but is now over the hill and definitely not that guy anymore (Weiss, Richards, Alfredsson, Modano). Maybe that should stop being a thing - give the kids the ice time needed to grow into those roles and stop hiring veterans fade out of them...

Can't count on Stamkos...he has a blood clot in his arm and is on anticoagulants currently. You want to throw 10 mill a year at that?

After watching our performance during those 5 games, I'd be willing to throw 10 mil at Kyle Calder.

I think Mrazek with the right team in front of him would be great.

I think DK is a solid #2 - but could absolutely use a #1. I don't see any point in moving Green.

I think Larkin and AA are right where they should be.

I think Zetterberg, Abdelkader and Kronwall won't go anywhere, even though I wouldn't argue against moving Kronwall - they just won't move those guys.

Outside of that? If it's worth it, it's worth it.

I think losing Pav means Holland absolutely needs to land a legitimate goal scorer, e.g. Stamkos.

The last few years Holland seems to get the guy who was maybe that guy at some point in his career, but is now over the hill and definitely not that guy anymore (Weiss, Richards, Alfredsson, Modano). Maybe that should stop being a thing - give the kids the ice time needed to grow into those roles and stop hiring veterans fade out of them...

However, would Stamkos be able to play such an offensive role as he's done in Tampon since we're such a defensive-minded team?

Mrazek is the one sure fire position we have taken care of right now. He had a tough few weeks, but he's young and will learn from it. Outside of that he has been Vezina-quality.

As for defence, drafting a dman is such a crap-shoot. Unless there is a sure thing like Ekblad (which you need to be a lottery team to get anyway), defenders are always gonna be a gamble. They take longer to develop than forwards, so it is hard to know exactly what you're getting until a few years later. You can use a first rounder to draft another Karlsson, but you're more likely to end up with a Kindl. A great, young dman is a lot more rare than a great, young forward. Because of this, it makes more sense to get a guy like Trouba via trade than to move up in the draft as far as acquiring a dman goes.

The first rounder should ALWAYS be used to get the best possible player available. Ideally this year that turns out to be a dman. But if there is a Larkin available when your turn is up, you take him. In my opinion you start drafting needs in the second round. When factoring out the Ekblads and Doughtys, it seems more high end dmen in this league come in the second round.

TL;DR. If we're depending on this draft to find that high end dman, be prepared for a long five years. Make a trade for one this summer to stay competitive and give the team the time to develop young defensemen.

I agree that we'd be much better off using those assets to trade for a player like Trouba rather than to trade up in the draft. A guy that just turned 22 that can help us immediately and would be a huge part of our future core moving forward in the "rebuild".

I will say though, that I think Chychrun is going to be a stud, probably not quite as good as Ekblad, but would likely be a top 2 pick in most draft years. This year is a very deep draft that is forward heavy at the top. I also think he could possibly be ready the year after drafting him, the same way as Larkin. But for all those reasons, I say there's little to no chance we're able to move up high enough to land him.

I do agree that you should be looking at the best player available in the first, but if you have two players in mind (a forward and a defenseman) that you have ranked around the same, I think you draft based on need then. My ideal scenario to bolster this defense going forward would be to trade for Trouba, and draft two high end defensemen in the first two rounds...

Thank you sir. You can still be a fan and be critical. Being a homer serves nobody right now. The only bold move I remember Holland making was whipping out the Ilitch check book and signing Hasek, Hull and Robitaille. I have seen no evidence of boldness, genius or strategy since the cap. He is not capable of dealing with constraints. He is handcuffed by his aversion to risk and lack of creativity in utilizing all available assets including trades, scouting, and taking chances by letting hungry young players challenge the veterans for their job. One more thing. Accountability. Especially on D. Only a bunch of guys feeling safe in their job could have performed so inconsistently this year. Even with the mediocre talent on our D, a little good old fashion tough love and a culture of fear of failure would have driven some of them to perform better.

But even if he makes some moves here, we will fail with this coach. He is not remotely close to the smarts and leadership of our winning coaches. Another safe call.

Edited by lwing