• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

The Missed Chances: '03, '04, '06

Rate this topic

Would ya'll still consider the 4 cups in 11 years a dynasty then? The 4th cup was practically 3/4th of the team being different.

I think the Wings were close like really close but it wouldn't call that a dynasty, after the last back to back cup. Had they won in 2009 again then yes, I think this era would have been regarded as a dynasty.

That 2009 against the Penguins still stinks, you are at home game 7 and not Crosby not Malkin...Talbot is the guy who puts the dagger in the heart god damnit. I remember it like yesterday I was so freaking pissed the next day, it was almost worse than losing against the Ducks because that year Jiggy just wasn't beatable and of course they've had Pronger, Niedermayer.

Would ya'll still consider the 4 cups in 11 years a dynasty then? The 4th cup was practically 3/4th of the team being different.

Modern day you have to change the definition. No one will win 4 straight anymore or dominate like those Oilers and Montreal teams.

I think if you extend that to 14 seasons between '95 and '09, it really is amazing how this team was head and shoulders the best team in hockey.

-4 Cups

-6 Finals appearances

-8 Conference Final appearances

-6 Presidents Trophies (never finished worse than 6th overall)

-Finished 2nd overall in NHL 3 times

-3rd 3 times

-4th 1 time

-6th 1 time

-11 Division Titles (out of 14)

-Never finished lower than 3rd in the Conference (aside from 99-00 when they seeded 4th because St. Louis won the Division; finished 2nd overall in points)

I know that it's all about Cups, but if the regular season didn't matter, they wouldn't play it.

Dallas, New Jersey, Colorado, Toronto, Ottawa, Philadelphia, St. Louis all came and went. The Wings maintained. Truly amazing.

As others mentioned, 2009 was the toughest loss for me as a Wings fan. Game 7, chance to repeat, watching Crosby skate around with the Cup on your home ice. That one stung for weeks.

I still maintain if Pavel Datsyuk was healthy that series, the Wings win in five. I honestly believe the Pens were nowhere near good enough to beat the Wings otherwise.

'09 was certainly terrible, as was '06, '95, and '96 (and all of them really, hard to have such high hopes all the time), but I think the most disappointing for me was '99. I remember being so confident that we'd pull off the 3-peat when we won the first two games in Colorado. Then...

Losing to them again the next year made it even worse.

'09 was certainly terrible, as was '06, '95, and '96 (and all of them really, hard to have such high hopes all the time), but I think the most disappointing for me was '99. I remember being so confident that we'd pull off the 3-peat when we won the first two games in Colorado. Then...

Losing to them again the next year made it even worse.

Bill Ranford. That was hard to watch. Not only did Colorado win 4 straight, but they annihilated the Wings. The games weren't even close.

Bill Ranford. That was hard to watch. Not only did Colorado win 4 straight, but they annihilated the Wings. The games weren't even close.

I wonder what would've happened if Stevie didn't hit the crossbar after he'd already made it 1-0.

But Ranford...WOOF. It's tough to believe a stand-up goalie was still playing in '99.

What made the 2009 loss so bad was the Wings were up 2-0 in the series. 2 damn wins away from another back to back championship. It never should have gone 7, nevermind the Wings being on the losing end. Should have been skate to the throat heading into Game 3, but they gave the Pens life instead. Horrible collapse capped off with the NHL's new golden boy skating the cup around the Joe. s*** still stings.

The goal Hasek gave away to Selanne in OT in Game 5 in the 2007 Conference Final to put the Wings on the ropes going back to Anaheim was another s*** moment. Last second lazy pad stack he just roofed it over. As good as Hasek was, usually when he let in a bad goal, it was REALLY bad.

The goal Hasek gave away to Selanne in OT in Game 5 in the 2007 Conference Final to put the Wings on the ropes going back to Anaheim was another s*** moment. Last second lazy pad stack he just roofed it over. As good as Hasek was, usually when he let in a bad goal, it was REALLY bad.

For me, that ridiculously stupid Niedermeyer shot that deflected up off of Nick's stick in the final seconds hurts a lot worse. I mean....that puck just FLEW up on Hasek.

Legace sucked so bad in that series. Cost him his big money extension because he chose to wait until after the playoffs to sign so he could get more. That blew right up in his face when Holland let him go and called up Hasek. Lol

Just goes to show how good the Wings were that season, that they could have Legace as their starter and still finish first.

Legace sucked so bad in that series. Cost him his big money extension because he chose to wait until after the playoffs to sign so he could get more. That blew right up in his face when Holland let him go and called up Hasek. Lol

Just goes to show how good the Wings were that season, that they could have Legace as their starter and still finish first.

Legace wasn't a terrible goalie. He just wasn't a clutch playoff goalie. I thought he was a good season goalie and honestly one of the best backups in the league in the early 2000s.

Looking at that video, so many bad defensive miscues. Like why was Hemsky left wide open on that 4th goal lol.

Edited by kickazz

I always thought he was one of the best backups in the league during that period as well. Just shows how good the team was that they could go from having two of the top 5 goalies of their era to promoting their backup and not lose a step. As solid as he was during the regulars, his waiting on the extension offer was hilarious after he got lit up in the playoffs, then saying he felt like he wanted to kill himself was just too much. Lol After that I was happy to see him go, especially since it led to the Hasek/Osgood tandem.