• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official - Little Caesars Arena

Rate this topic

In Canada we have arenas named after monopolistic cable companies, a s***ty airline, a bank (because we all know what stand up companies banks are). Wanna know what these buildings have in common besides being named after s***ty corporations? They are all awesome places to catch a game.

At least the Wings new arena is being named after a business based out of the city and not simply sold to the highest bidder. Does it sound a little silly? Perhaps. But so does half of the other arenas out there. It will be called by its abbreviation more than anything. The name of these buildings is literally the least important thing about them this day and age.

But oh wait, I live in Newfoundland so what the f*** do I know, right?

In Canada we have arenas named after monopolistic cable companies, a s***ty airline, a bank (because we all know what stand up companies banks are). Wanna know what these buildings have in common besides being named after s***ty corporations? They are all awesome places to catch a game.

At least the Wings new arena is being named after a business based out of the city and not simply sold to the highest bidder. Does it sound a little silly? Perhaps. But so does half of the other arenas out there. It will be called by its abbreviation more than anything. The name of these buildings is literally the least important thing about them this day and age.

But oh wait, I live in Newfoundland so what the f*** do I know, right?

Id almost rather it have gone to the highest bidder. At least then I could understand that the Illitches are further lining their pockets by selling out. But he's paying for the name with his own company, which is essentially shifting his own money from one pocket to another and not actually getting any monetary gain out of it other than what advertising his company might bring in. He could have literally named it whatever he wanted and be in the same place he's in now financially. It makes the name seem that much more slimy.

Id almost rather it have gone to the highest bidder. At least then I could understand that the Illitches are further lining their pockets by selling out. But he's paying for the name with his own company, which is essentially shifting his own money from one pocket to another and not actually getting any monetary gain out of it other than what advertising his company might bring in. He could have literally named it whatever he wanted and be in the same place he's in now financially. It makes the name seem that much more slimy.

You honestly think Illitch isn't gonna gain anything out of this? lol.

I guess Staples Center is seen as such a big joke to right? With the logo being on the roof and all. Terrible. Amirite?

Edit: for the record, the picture used in that wxyz link with the logo on the roof does look dreadful, and based on that I would understand the concerns. BUT I'm quite confident it will be done with a little more elegance that that s***ty photoshop job in that link. Hence why I threw the Staples Center example out there. I mean, that's a really dumb sponsor as well. But I've not once thought of Staples when seeing that place. I think LA. I think of the Kings, and the Lakers with their many championships. That arena just emits success. What I'm getting at here is that it isn't the name of this place that will make it. It's what will happen on the inside.

Edited by marcaractac

I guess Staples Center is seen as such a big joke to right? With the logo being on the roof and all. Terrible. Amirite?

I honestly think he will gain something. I thought my post made that clear, but apparently not. What he's getting is advertising. What he's not getting is the additionally 125 million dollars from selling naming rights to a company that he doesn't own.

I honestly think he will gain something. I thought my post made that clear, but apparently not. What he's getting is advertising. What he's not getting is the additionally 125 million dollars from selling naming rights to a company that he doesn't own.

I'd imagine there would be some sort of tax break in there as well. But who knows! I do also see the allure of having your own company having the naming rights (and getting all the perks that come with that) and not have to bow to any other potential corporate demands. From a business stand point it makes a lot of sense to me. As far as the advertising aspect of it goes, i've been tuning that garbage out for so long now it has zero affect on me lol.

It goes back the the Staples Center example. Never in my life have I ever thought of Staples when hearing that building mentioned. Not even when seeing the lit up logo on my TV screen. I always just see them as redundant and meaningless names, and the proof is out there that it's what happens in these buildings that make them meaningful over what they're called. Look at The Joe. Does anyone care about that place like they do now without those 4 cups wins? Probably not. It would probably be seen more as an ageing, ugly building that has basically been in need of upgrades since the day it opened.

The city is getting a great new arena. Yeah, it would be awesome if it could be named after Gordie. But we all knew from the start that was never going to happen. I'm just gonna focus on the positives. Which is literally everything else but the name itself.

I'd imagine there would be some sort of tax break in there as well..

Oh great. So not only is it bad enough the tax payers have to shell out half the money (of which they won't see a cent of profit), but now He doesn't have to pay taxes on it either? That would be an outrage.

Hypothetically of course idk how the details play out.

Oh great. So not only is it bad enough the tax payers have to shell out half the money (of which they won't see a cent of profit), but now He doesn't have to pay taxes on it either? That would be an outrage.

Hypothetically of course idk how the details play out.

All big businesses take advantage of tax breaks. It's nothing new. It's easy to say tax payers will never see a cent, but this is an arena that will be there for decades. Money will be generated in the economy. It's the reason why tax payer money is used in these projects to begin with. If owners had to foot 100% of the bill for these arenas, 90% of the new buildings in the league wouldn't exist. No teams would make any money, where as the economy would still benefit from all the money spent at events all year round. The arena is great for the city, and that's why tax payer dollars go towards it.

For the record, I think corporations getting tax breaks is garbage, but that is a completely different topic fit for somewhere else. But we'd take them as well if we were given the chance. Such is life.

Little Caesars/Olympia Development/Illitch Holdings are massive corporations. It's not like he can walk into LC headquarters and grab $6M whenever he wants. The money is almost certainly to come out of funds already earmarked for marketing. The Illitch's and other higher-ups in the corporation have already taken their cut of the LC revenue, and now they'll get a piece of the naming rights revenue as well. I highly doubt there is any difference in "monetary gain" between selling it to his own company or an outside company.

It's not so much the name itself it's the whole idea of one of the last traditional named arenas standing up against that sponsored arena crap. It's especially bad when a team has so many deserving personalities including the owner. Yeah will just call it the LCA but something like come to the Yzerman, Lidstrom, Howe whatever... Dome see the Wings play would have felt so much better.

Let's wait how the Oilers are going to name their new (fully tax payer) bland, plastic arena.

It's not so much the name itself it's the whole idea of one of the last traditional named arenas standing up against that sponsored arena crap. It's especially bad when a team has so many deserving personalities including the owner. Yeah will just call it the LCA but something like come to the Yzerman, Lidstrom, Howe whatever... Dome see the Wings play would have felt so much better.

Let's wait how the Oilers are going to name their new (fully tax payer) bland, plastic arena.

While everyone complains about the name i'll just ***** about the beer prices :lol:

All big businesses take advantage of tax breaks. It's nothing new. It's easy to say tax payers will never see a cent, but this is an arena that will be there for decades. Money will be generated in the economy. It's the reason why tax payer money is used in these projects to begin with. If owners had to foot 100% of the bill for these arenas, 90% of the new buildings in the league wouldn't exist. No teams would make any money, where as the economy would still benefit from all the money spent at events all year round. The arena is great for the city, and that's why tax payer dollars go towards it.

For the record, I think corporations getting tax breaks is garbage, but that is a completely different topic fit for somewhere else. But we'd take them as well if we were given the chance. Such is life.

Well, there's data that says these arena deals are not good at all for the cities that make them, and I'd say that tax payer dollars go to them because politicians are dips***s who do dips*** things with other people's money. But I don't want to get too political. I'll just say that the DDA (the specific agency that will pay off the bonds) was a thing before the arena deal, and would still exist without it. It's an agency specifically created to do more or less exactly what it is doing with the arena. So if it wasn't the Illitch getting the money, it would be some other billion dollar development company. Given a choice between corporate welfare for a fancy new arena for a team I love, that I'll be able to enjoy for many, many years and corporate welfare for a new upscale condo development or office building or whatever thing I'd likely never know about because it wouldn't be newsworthy...well, I'll take the arena, even with a dumb name and an ugly, terrible-pizza-advertising, boring-non-LED roof.

Am I the only one here who really is not a fan of their pizza?

Their pizza is not very good

kickazz ... you are being kind. Their pizza is the sh*ttz! That's why it makes me nauseous seeing the Wings associated with Little Caesar's :paperbag3::paperbag3::thumbdown::thumbdown::furious::furious:

At least before this, I didn't have to be reminded that the same guys own both but now, every friggin game ...

Edited by RedWingsRox

Just did some quick research but it appears the only public money used to fund the arena were taxes on property owners in the downtown area via the Downtown Development Authority. Which does fall in line with the stated goals and purpose of the DDA. Can anyone confirm public money's were used for this arena? Illitch owes $200 million to pay back bonds, the DDA funds up to $150 million, and the other $200 million (so far) has to come out of Illitch's pockets.

Edit: for the record, the picture used in that wxyz link with the logo on the roof does look dreadful, and based on that I would understand the concerns. BUT I'm quite confident it will be done with a little more elegance that that s***ty photoshop job in that link. Hence why I threw the Staples Center example out there. I mean, that's a really dumb sponsor as well. But I've not once thought of Staples when seeing that place. I think LA. I think of the Kings, and the Lakers with their many championships. That arena just emits success. What I'm getting at here is that it isn't the name of this place that will make it. It's what will happen on the inside.

Maybe but that s***ty Photoshop came from illitch holdings. So it will probably be pretty close to looking like that

kickazz ... you are being kind. Their pizza is the sh*ttz! That's why it makes me nauseous seeing the Wings associated with Little Caesar's :paperbag3::paperbag3::thumbdown::thumbdown::furious::furious:

At least before this, I didn't have to be reminded that the same guys own both but now, every friggin game ...

I don't mind their pizza.Their deep dishes are actually pretty good. But i find that the quality can vary quite a bit depending on the store you go to

as for the name, I don't mind it. Wish it wasn't corporate named but I know that was wishful thinking. at least it's a company that has deep roots to the hockey community in this area and not some sleazy company like amway.

I remember the public outcry over comerica but now everyone has gotten used to it

Edited by chances14

Just did some quick research but it appears the only public money used to fund the arena were taxes on property owners in the downtown area via the Downtown Development Authority. Which does fall in line with the stated goals and purpose of the DDA. Can anyone confirm public money's were used for this arena? Illitch owes $200 million to pay back bonds, the DDA funds up to $150 million, and the other $200 million (so far) has to come out of Illitch's pockets.

It's actually $450 million the DDA will pay. Well, probably less since there's a good chance they'll pay off the bonds before full maturity, but well over $150M. But the criticism is mainly because if Olympia had funded the arena itself, rather than use the DDA, the new tax revenue generated would have gone to the city's general fund rather than to the DDA.

Also, Michigan state taxes are used to reimburse Detroit schools for funding lost due to DDA property tax captures. That may be a criticism more deservedly aimed at the DDA/city of Detroit, but still.

But I'll stop now, edging to close to political discussion. Back to focusing on LC's awful imitation of pizza.

Most gas stations and party stores in my area and DiGiorno's >>> Little Caesar's >> Domino's.