• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

This hits the nail on the head......

Rate this topic

Nonsense. This is why the article is a "fanpost" and not by one of the actual writers of WIIM:

"Lifetime fans of the organization – especially those of younger generations – no longer have confidence in the team. It’s clear that this is exactly what Holland intended"

Yes, Holland has intentionally sought to undermine fans' confidence in the team. Dumb fan post is dumb.

Aren't all the writers on WIIM just fans? It's basically just a message board like this dressed up to look like news. Can't remember the last time I read anything there that wasn't nonsense.

But I will say that Holland is just not very good with the media.

Fixation on this "less is more" quote is too redundant.

It's taken completely out of context and quoted wrong. He said "less can be more exciting" and as I understood it Holland said that in regard to the league as a whole , not specifically for the Red Wings. He also made clear several times that he wants to improve the Wings, but that it is going to be difficult and a long term process. Overall the presser this year was probably the one in which he was the most critical towards the state of the team.

This article is not even close hitting the nail. It's far more close to the thumb......

Aren't all the writers on WIIM just fans? It's basically just a message board like this dressed up to look like news. Can't remember the last time I read anything there that wasn't nonsense.

But I will say that Holland is just not very good with the media.

Agreed. The site is amateur at best, which surprises me. The Lions' version (Pride of Detroit) of the Superbowl Network hub is superior in every way. (Too bad the team isn't).

Got to love the old "if you can't refute the message attack the messenger tactic".

"Lifetime fans of the organization – especially those of younger generations – no longer have confidence in the team. It’s clear that this is exactly what Holland intended"

A statement like this need not be refuted. It needs to be ridiculed.

Got to love the old "if you can't refute the message attack the messenger tactic".

The message was refuted. "Nonsense". If you'd like something more detailed, please feel free to read any of the many Holland topics from the last few years.

There is nothing about the RW's that wasn't done intentionally by Holland. It's his GM, coach, players that he drafted, traded for, and signed as UFA's. Holland handed out everyone of our contracts. Its all intentional, if it wasn't then it would be what? Incompetence.

There is nothing about the RW's that wasn't done intentionally by Holland. It's his GM, coach, players that he drafted, traded for, and signed as UFA's. Holland handed out everyone of our contracts. Its all intentional, if it wasn't then it would be what? Incompetence.

Holland has intentionally sought to undermine the confidence of lifetime fans, especially younger fans. You heard it here, folks.

I am one of the BIGGEST Holland critic here, but I heard the excerps and then watched the entire presser. The quotes are for sure taken out of context.

I think he means by "less is more exciting" and "if you expect Cups, you're in the wrong league" that when the fans realize they need to lower their yearly expectations, they may enjoy the seasom much more. Now, I am not saying its ok to NOT expect a Cup, but we all know you just cannot win it every year. He said we're here to win Cups not just make the playoffs, but the fans also need to realize that after 25 years of making the playoffs and winning 4 Cups in that span, you don't always get the best players in the draft. Plus, the fact that the Cap is here, and instead of 4-6 teams being favorites every season, there are 25 teams that can make the playoffs and compete for it, so not landing the top UFA's like those 4-6 teams used to (or even be on a players "accept a trade to" list) is something the fans need to get used to as well. Does anyone really think that if there wasn't a cap making virtually every team competitive that we'd have lost out on Suter/Parise or Niskanen? When the wallet is bottomless and payroll can be limitless, we'd still be favorites every year.

I too, think that if all expectations to win a Cup every season, were lowered a bit, we may enjoy the competition to get to the playoffs. He said, he plans on being agressive with trades at the draft, he is going to move younger players up the roster and bring up more kids from GR. He said he needs to change the style and makeup of the team, and is already planing on NOT having Datsyuk. He will trade the contract if he can find a taker but he won't trade it if that taker wants to deplete out minors or draft picks. He is ok with taking the cap hit for one year to protect the likes of AA, Larkin, Bertuzzi, etc... and high draft picks. I think he means it this time. I think, even though ownership said that they support him 100%, that he was told, do something or we won't be so supportive in the near future...

I like that he said he'd like to have Helm, but he understands that he needs to make a family decision because this is a very important contract for Helm and is prepared to move on without him. I really think we won't see any other re-siging of our UFA's outside of the possible Helm deal. Also, VERY excited about his opinion that Howard has to be traded (paraphrasing) because he cannot have so much money in a goalie combo. Something I've been saying for two seasons.

Here is a link to the entire presser for those who haven't seen it...

youtube.com/watch?v=SlkPQejiHCo

Edited by LeftWinger

It's not even possible for Holland intentional control everything with the wings. What would that even mean? He convinced the league to switch to the salary cap? Holland convinced Rafalski to retire early? He arranged Suter to meet a woman and BFF from Minnesota so that we would miss out on that signing?

He's a poker player trying to deal with the hand dealt. He's trying to make us great again by the way he thinks best with the circumstances of the league. The cap is meant to spread success around - we've fought the economic forces that tear apart success and we're the only team to make the playoffs every year post-lockout.

People need realize that the most likely alternative to our current 5 year dip in success is not trades and Stanley cups - It's the 10 year tank. I can only imagine the blogs that would be written in that situation. I think we'll be contenders in 3 years - we'll all see how Mraz, Larkin, Mantha etc. develop and if we'll be able to find the missing pieces.

It's not even possible for Holland intentional control everything with the wings. What would that even mean? He convinced the league to switch to the salary cap? Holland convinced Rafalski to retire early? He arranged Suter to meet a woman and BFF from Minnesota so that we would miss out on that signing?

He's a poker player trying to deal with the hand dealt. He's trying to make us great again by the way he thinks best with the circumstances of the league. The cap is meant to spread success around - we've fought the economic forces that tear apart success and we're the only team to make the playoffs every year post-lockout.

People need realize that the most likely alternative to our current 5 year dip in success is not trades and Stanley cups - It's the 10 year tank. I can only imagine the blogs that would be written in that situation. I think we'll be contenders in 3 years - we'll all see how Mraz, Larkin, Mantha etc. develop and if we'll be able to find the missing pieces.

Excuses.

Nope. But true. Please I am not attacking anyone personally, so don't take it that way.

No worries. I didn't feel attacked.

But the "excuses" comment is a general sentiment I see around here all the time. To me it says, I don't care about the real constraints with the way that the league is now, I just want cups, I want to be the dominant team that we were before the cap. To just right off these realities as 'excuses" is to not look at things realistically.

This thread grew me weary and I was tired from training. So I sat down, made sure I had wine close at hand, and listened to Ken Holland's hour long press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlkPQejiHCo

He is, to my opinion, as dialed in as anyone can be in respect to the cap, the team and parity. The WIIM article is nitpicky and seeking sensationalism. And this is not to defend KH, it's simply true. Watch by yourself and decide. Some wine/beer/etc wouldn't hurt, at least it didn't hurt me yet.