• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Calder finalists

Rate this topic

Yeah unfortunately Larkin fell off the radar after the All-star game due to his big slump.

And of course McDavid is a finalist even though he missed a ton of games and didn't even finish top 3 in points and missed like 3 months..

Won't be surprised if they picked McDavid over Panarin (who is the obvious winner according to their own standards).

Edited by kickazz

Yeah unfortunately Larkin fell off the radar after the All-star game due to his big slump.

And of course McDavid is a finalist even though he missed a ton of games and didn't even finish top 3 in points and missed like 3 months..

Won't be surprised if they picked McDavid over Panarin (who is the obvious winner according to their own standards).

I certainly hope not.

It's gunna be McDavid. The NHL would LOVE that storyline.

If Panarin wins, does Kane accept it on his behalf? :P

McAnnoying is who the NHL is going to shove down our throats this time.

McDavid is point machine BUT he missed a ton of games and the team didn't win sh*t all so I don't agree with him making the cut-even though its obvious why...As for Larkin he wasn't even close to keeping pace the second half, right after that damned video was released of DBoss that was all.

McDavid is point machine BUT he missed a ton of games and the team didn't win sh*t all so I don't agree with him making the cut-even though its obvious why...As for Larkin he wasn't even close to keeping pace the second half, right after that damned video was released of DBoss that was all.

Why is everyone so anti-McJesus on here? Ok, so he didn't play half the season, but when he did he ended up with the 3rd best PPG in the league this year. Isn't that pretty good? I don't think he should get it because he didn't olay a full year, but you can't blame the league for nominating him when clearly he's the best rookie by a mile, especially coming back from a broken clavicle.

I hate the NHL hype machine too, but you can't deny that the guy is a superior talent. Would Panerin have scored 30 if he didn't have Kane feeding him all year long whilst on a career year?

McDavid is hands down the best rookie this year in my opinion. However, there shouldn't be much debate that Panarin had the best rookie season. If McDavid didn't have the shoulder injury, missing nearly half the season, there's no question in my mind that he would have out-produced Panarin. Don't get me wrong, 77 points (30 goals, 47 assists) in 80 games is a great feat for any player, let alone a rookie, but 48 points (16 goals, 32 assists) in 45 games is very good as well. Panarin is also 5 years older than McDavid, and played 6 previous seasons of pro hockey against men in the KHL. Panarin also played the majority of his time on a line with Kane and Anisimov, whereas McDavid played most of his time with Eberle and Pouliot. A slight difference in quality of line mates there... I think McDavid is the better player, but with the season Panarin put together, he is more deserving of the Calder, and I think he will get it for sure...

Why is everyone so anti-McJesus on here? Ok, so he didn't play half the season, but when he did he ended up with the 3rd best PPG in the league this year. Isn't that pretty good? I don't think he should get it because he didn't olay a full year, but you can't blame the league for nominating him when clearly he's the best rookie by a mile, especially coming back from a broken clavicle.

I hate the NHL hype machine too, but you can't deny that the guy is a superior talent. Would Panerin have scored 30 if he didn't have Kane feeding him all year long whilst on a career year?

I don't think they're against McDavid as much as they are against the joke shortlist that the league popped out.

Panarin - He's 24, turning 25 this year, and has played 4 and a half seasons in the KHL.

No Jack Eichel. Wtf? Five years younger than Panarin, second in goals and points amongst rookies behind Panarin, and in his first pro season of any kind. Nope, not included. Ok....

People are actually upset that Mcdavid was a finalist instead of Larkin?

Mcdavid has just as many points in half the amount of games....

edit: Mcdavid had more points in half the amount of games

Neuther should have nominated imo

McDavid would have won it if he would have been healthy hands down, kid is a phenom no question about it. But Gostisbehere over Jack Eichel? That's something I don't understand, Eichel put up like 60 points he doesn't have a superstar like Hall, Kane on his wing or on the PP the guy is in his first year and has already been the best Buffalo Sabres, so what more did they expect out of him?

No Eichel to me is an absolute joke I would have loved seeing Larkin there but let's be honest he fell a bit of a cliff (no big deal mind you), in the second half.

As far as Panarin I hate to defend another Blackhawk, but the rules are that he is eligible (I don't like it) but it is what it is and so he has to be favorite to win it. Personally I think if a guy has a few season in some of the top leagues (SEL; KHL, NLA first Finish League) under his belly he shouldn't be in the calder conversation but oh well.

Neuther should have nominated imo

Curious to know who the third candidate should have been and I'm open to your opinion, who were your three nominations?

I think Mcdavid at PPG for half a season is worthy of a nomination. In a full season he probably would have still had 80 points which is awesome for a rookie in this NHL especially on the Oilers. Sucks that he only played 45 games but he still deserves a nomination.

Gostisbehere is probably the reason PHI made it to the playoffs. A rookie dman getting 47 points in 64 games is unheard of now. He is easily my pick.

Panarin is probably the most controversial pick because of his age, but we were all lobbying for Nyquist in his rookie year when he was 25. You still can't deny the factor that Panarin was, because Kane was not the best offensive player in the NHL last year but is now. He still got 77 points in 80 games as a rookie. If Larkin kept up with him he probably would have won it but he was a literal ghost in the second half of the season.

In summary, I think the 3 nominations are all justified for theyre own unique reasons. I really don't see a 4th option personally. Eichel could be argued but these 3 guys were by far the most noticable players and had the greatest impact one the ice when they were playing.

Edited by WingsallTheway

Panarin (should win too), Gostisbehere, Eichel

Over course of season there's no guarantee that a player will maintain his PPG ratio. McDavid had a nice 3 month rest the way I see it. I know I'm being picky but so much could be argued against his case. A 45 game sample for rookie of the year is just too small when comparing to others who played 80+ games. 80 games is an insane grind for a rookie and 45 games is much, much easier to shine in.

Larkin had 30 points in 43 games but ended up at 45 point in 80 games played. See how dramatically his PPG changed?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Panarin will win it. But I really won't be surprised if McDavid got it. Cuz it's McJesus.

Edited by kickazz

Panarin (should win too), Gostisbehere, Eichel

Over course of season there's no guarantee that a player will maintain his PPG ratio. McDavid had a nice 3 month rest the way I see it. I know I'm being picky but so much could be argued against his case. A 45 game sample for rookie of the year is just too small when comparing to others who played 80+ games. 80 games is an insane grind for a rookie and 45 games is much, much easier to shine in.

Larkin had 30 points in 43 games but ended up at 45 point in 80 games played. See how dramatically his PPG changed?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Panarin will win it. But I really won't be surprised if McDavid got it. Cuz it's McJesus.

I can respect the idea about thriving halfway through a season, while others tend to be injured/wear down.

I really don't think Mcdavid would have dropped dramatically like Larkin did but yeah thats something we can never really determine.

I'd still think the most likely winner is Panarin followed by Gostisbehere and then Mcdavid. I really don't see the NHL giving the award to Mcd, that would actually be flat out ridiculous. He deserves a nomination but not the actual trophy.

If I had it my way I would vote for Gostisbehere, its so much harder to produce as a Defenceman, let alone a rookie one.

I can respect the idea about thriving halfway through a season, while others tend to be injured/wear down.

I really don't think Mcdavid would have dropped dramatically like Larkin did but yeah thats something we can never really determine.

I'd still think the most likely winner is Panarin followed by Gostisbehere and then Mcdavid. I really don't see the NHL giving the award to Mcd, that would actually be flat out ridiculous. He deserves a nomination but not the actual trophy.

If I had it my way I would vote for Gostisbehere, its so much harder to produce as a Defenceman, let alone a rookie one.

Gostisbehere is Larkin in reverse, but his quality play came in the 2ND half and was top of mind... That Eichel wasn't nominated is borderline insanity.

Gostisbehere is Larkin in reverse, but his quality play came in the 2ND half and was top of mind... That Eichel wasn't nominated is borderline insanity.

Wouldn't label is as insanity just due to the fact that this was an amazing class of rookies. Any of the top 5 could have potentially won or been nominated in years past.

What Gostisbehere did as a defenceman is the reason he was a finalist. He isn't a complete liability in his own end either, although he has made a few rookie mistakes. 10th in the NHL for Dmen for PPG is a pretty decent stat for a rookie. Developing a steady NHL defenceman is one of the hardest things to do in sports.

McDavid was the best rookie while he was playing. Voters felt he has played enough games to get the nod, and I can't say I disagree.

Would have been nice to see Larkin get recognition, but it's been a phenomenal year for rookies, Larkin included. In the end we still have a potential franchise center to build around.

Curious to know who the third candidate should have been and I'm open to your opinion, who were your three nominations?

I think Mcdavid at PPG for half a season is worthy of a nomination. In a full season he probably would have still had 80 points which is awesome for a rookie in this NHL especially on the Oilers. Sucks that he only played 45 games but he still deserves a nomination.

Gostisbehere is probably the reason PHI made it to the playoffs. A rookie dman getting 47 points in 64 games is unheard of now. He is easily my pick.

Panarin is probably the most controversial pick because of his age, but we were all lobbying for Nyquist in his rookie year when he was 25. You still can't deny the factor that Panarin was, because Kane was not the best offensive player in the NHL last year but is now. He still got 77 points in 80 games as a rookie. If Larkin kept up with him he probably would have won it but he was a literal ghost in the second half of the season.

In summary, I think the 3 nominations are all justified for theyre own unique reasons. I really don't see a 4th option personally. Eichel could be argued but these 3 guys were by far the most noticable players and had the greatest impact one the ice when they were playing.

Nyquist was 25 last season. He was 23 when he played 57 games, but he wasn't even eligible because he played a combined 40 games in the 2 previous seasons to that. Maybe you're thinking of brunner who was 25 or 26 and came from a pro European league