• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WeBleedRed

Datsyuk - someone who works for JLA told me he's sold his house

Rate this topic

Echolaia....I get everything your saying, which would give me no issues if he chose to leave after his last contract, or chose to only sign for 1 year or 2 years and then leave. But that's not what happened. He signed for 3 years and is now choosing to leave after 2 years. If it was because his body was too worn down and he couldn't play anymore, fine, but again, that's not the case, he's going to play in another league. That said, the KHL is way, way, way, way less physical.

Anyway, I actually have a huge problem with it to be honest, but nothing to do with the player or wanting him to stay, but more on principal. The team couldn't just decide not to honor the contract....why is the player allowed such luxury? Due to retirement....fine....but that's not the case.

Kovy's contract was made when the league was at a high for financial success and before the implication of a hard Salary cap (it was a soft cap). KHL President is now lowering the cap by 50 mill rubles (764,377 USD) each year 2015-2017. There's a reason Radulov is leaving.

Add to that the fact that Datsyuk will be 38 while Kovy was in his prime, and I think you'd be wise not take Kovy as a comparable.

Datsyuk's already a national hero and a big star in Russia. If he wanted Russian endorsements I'm sure he already has them. I don't see why playing in the KHL would make much of a difference. Anyway, it does take him away from US sports endorsements which are much larger because it's a much bigger market.

A new bit of info I found in a Detroit Free Press article, is that Pav also missed out on a 2 million dollars of this past year's salary by not fulfilling his contract. (in the notes at the bottom)

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/05/25/pavel-datsyuk-khl-red-wings/84913168/

So if you think he's going to the KHL for more money, then his contract for next year has to be more than 7.5 million.

I don't see any evidence that suggests we mistrust his own explanation of the situation in the Albom article.

That's interesting - I didn't know about the $2,000,000 penalty he was facing if he retired early.

Any way you slice it the money is going to be (at the very least) close to what he would have made next year... Keep in mind, he may be comparing the next 2 years of his contract when deciding to leave. Based on what we all saw from his this post-season, he isn't close to what he was - and would not have been paid $7,500,000 by any NHL team in 2018-2019. So in theory, he could easily sign a 2 year contract in Russia that pays him more in 2016-17/2017-18 than he would have made in the NHL. He will also be more effective in the KHL, and collaterally more valuable.

My biggest problem still exists: Pavel has no problem financially penalizing this team by leaving to go and do the same thing in Russia, for a similar amount of money. This team, happens to be the same team that paid him more than $79,000,000 in NHL salary the past 14 seasons - and gave him a chance to to play/develop with hall of fame line-mates as an undersized 6th round pick. The fact that he isn't honouring the final year of his contract, and at the same time preventing us from taking a run at his replacement - says more about his character than anything else in my opinion.

Edited by WingedWheel91

He's walking away from $5.5 million, the contract was front loaded.

You must have missed the part where he didn't get $2 million of last year's salary because he's opting to go back to Russia, so Ya he's losing $7.5 million

I wish Datsyuk would hurry and make up his mind. The two big pieces that will dictate this offseason are A) Datsyuk's decision, and to a lesser extent B) Who they hire as assistant coach. Once the organization knows those two things they'll formulate a strategy. I wouldn't expect much until then.

I certainly hope one of the biggest decisions in the off season isn't who they will hire as an assistant coach. Also, I don't see Datsyuk's decision as making a huge difference, I think what will make a big impact is whether they are able to get rid of the $7.5M cap hit or not and then be able to use the space to bring in help.

I certainly hope one of the biggest decisions in the off season isn't who they will hire as an assistant coach. Also, I don't see Datsyuk's decision as making a huge difference, I think what will make a big impact is whether they are able to get rid of the $7.5M cap hit or not and then be able to use the space to bring in help.

Given how bad our offense and powerplay were, I think the assistant coach matters quite a bit. Don't agree, look at home much less successful Pat Ferschweiler was with essentially the same roster as what Jim Hiller had. Otherwise, I agree with you. Whether or not we have an extra 7.5 million to spend in this offseason vs. next year (this season has WAY better UFAs than next) is a pretty big question mark.

I wish Datsyuk would hurry and make up his mind. The two big pieces that will dictate this offseason are A) Datsyuk's decision, and to a lesser extent B) Who they hire as assistant coach. Once the organization knows those two things they'll formulate a strategy. I wouldn't expect much until then.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/06/datsyuk-decision-expected-sometime-month/85533068/

Datsyuk meeting with Holland next week hopes to have a decision soon after.

Holland says the assistant position down to "a couple of names" and expects a decision this week. I assume those names are Richards and Dave Cameron who we asked permission to talk to.

Also, they made an offer to Helm and haven't heard back yet.

Glad we made an offer to helm. He sounded like his decision is more about usage than money.. I think he just wants consistent line mates. Just my thoughts after reading his comments at the end of the season.

Richards was the team USA guy this past worlds, right? They had a pretty good showing.. I think I'd prefer him over Cameron based on my admittedly pretty limited knowledge on the two of them.

I'm hoping we're able to trade Datsyuk's contract to Arizona along with Pulkkinen for Pronger's contract and a mid to late round draft pick. That would be the best scenario imaginable in my opinion... Red Wings get rid of the cap hit but take on real dollars, while the Coyotes take on cap space to get to the cap floor, while not having to spend the money...

Yeah, I really hope Helm's issue with his usage last season was more to do with being moved up and down the lineup, and never getting a chance to gain any chemistry or momentum with linemates, rather than wanting to be in the top 6. He needs to realize that he could either be a mediocre to bad top 6 forward, or one of the better bottom 6 forwards in the entire league. It's up to him, but he always seemed to me like a guy that thrived on being a bottom 6 energy guy that killed penalties, blocked shots and threw his body around. I hope that's the case, and we're able to re-sign him to play strictly in the bottom 6, at a very reasonable contract ($2.75-3.25M for 3 years)...

The market for cap hits has started to get set. Devils took on Marc Savard's salary PLUS got a 2018 second-rounder for two minor leaguers, one of them 27 years old. I'd say that indicates we're going to have to give up something of value along with Datsyuk, and won't get much of value back.

The market for cap hits has started to get set. Devils took on Marc Savard's salary PLUS got a 2018 second-rounder for two minor leaguers, one of them 27 years old. I'd say that indicates we're going to have to give up something of value along with Datsyuk, and won't get much of value back.

I was thinking this too. But it all depends on how much probably Arizona (maybe Carolina) wants that free cap hit.. It's going to be a game of chicken between Kenny and one of them.

Florida offered the contract plus a second round pick. What if we offer the Datsyuk contract plus Pulk and a mid tier pick. So we lose Pulk, rid the contract and give up a 5th round pick or something (or maybe 4th rounder)... Would that sweeten the deal? Or would we be giving up too much?

Edited by kickazz

Florida offered the contract plus a second round pick. What if we offer the Datsyuk contract plus Pulk and a mid tier pick. So we lose Pulk, rid the contract and give up a 5th round pick or something (or maybe 4th rounder)... Would that sweeten the deal? Or would we be giving up too much?

It sounds like we're talking with Arizona and I believe that by taking back pronger we won't have to give up as much because we save Arizona from actually dollars being paid which is an advantage for them. This would significantly drive the price down in my opinion