• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2016 SCF: San Jose Sharks vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Rate this topic

I thought the Sharks created chances, they just couldn't capitalize. A lot of errant passes or just flat missing the net in the pens zone. The pens being good and fast wouldn't let them spend much time in their zone after that. It's really about being fast enough to get to pucks and making the smart plays to keep it to keep up the pressure. Honestly that first goal against them shouldn't have happened. Terrible goal to give up at home in that situation. Right under his arm. Little things add up.

or how about the Penguins were simply heads and shoulders above their competition. little things don't matter for s***

Edited by shocky2002

One thing I wish the Wings would learn is how to block shots. The Penguins did a lot of that not just this year but in 2009 as well. Our team needs to stop collapsing and refusing the block shots.

Yeah, seriously. Whenever the Pens didn't have the puck, the Sharks were pounding pucks into shin pads over and over and over again. Forwards and defenceman alike, huge reason they won.

Still a pretty good player

Thornton>>>>Zetterberg

Thornton is a rare breed of a centerman that had the ability to make crap players around him better. Not even Crosby, Zetterberg or Datsyuk had the ability to do what Joe Thornton did. I love D and Z but they didn't have the same gift of making crappy players better, they were more of the type that carried their own weight and put things on their back to score. On the other hand I'd still pick both of them over Thornton because they were marvelous 2-way players, something Thornton never was.

I don't like Thornton, but I'll be the first to admit that his vision and playmaking is still very very good and was the best in the last decade. (better than any centerman in the league). As a 36 year old soon to be 37, the guy put up 82 points this season 63 of which was assists. He had more assists than Crosby this year and only 3 points less. Truly impressive.

Having said all that, it really does look like this is it for his run at the cup.

Edited by kickazz

One thing I wish the Wings would learn is how to block shots. The Penguins did a lot of that not just this year but in 2009 as well. Our team needs to stop collapsing and refusing the block shots.

Agreed on both points. A couple of good shot blocking d-men will hit the market this summer too. Luke Schenn and Roman Polak. Nice change of pace from what we currently have.

Still a pretty good player

Thornton>>>>Zetterberg

I'll agree that Thornton is better than Z at this moment, but the difference isn't that much. While Z has clearly declined, Thornton isn't anywhere close to the player he was either. Watching during this series was painful in comparison to the way he used to play. He still has SOME playmaking skills, but he's not strong on the puck, his shot, while never his best attribute anyways, isn't there anymore and some of his passes looked really sloppy at times. This was his chance to win it and unfortunately, for him, he did not.

I'll agree that Thornton is better than Z at this moment, but the difference isn't that much. While Z has clearly declined, Thornton isn't anywhere close to the player he was either. Watching during this series was painful in comparison to the way he used to play. He still has SOME playmaking skills, but he's not strong on the puck, his shot, while never his best attribute anyways, isn't there anymore and some of his passes looked really sloppy at times. This was his chance to win it and unfortunately, for him, he did not.

It's a tough call. But I'd have picked prime Zetterberg over Thornton simply because Zetterberg's ability in the playoffs outmatched almost all players. So if it came down to winning a cup, I agree with you for sure. But present day, Thornton's definitely taken a step back but I think Zetterberg has taken quite a few steps back.

Thornton is still a pretty good player and it makes total sense too. His game has never been based on speed, so there is no reason why he couldn't operate at a fairly high level. Similar situation with Jagr. Jagr had a bit more speed, but no one would have thought of him as fast or that being an asset to his game. Lidstrom was similar in that he didn't decline dramatically, was more of a slow decline, largely because his game was less focused on speed and physicality. He was going to decline, everyone does, but it's wasn't as dramatic as you tend to see with other types of players.

It will be interesting to see how Ovechkin's career goes late into his 30's since he's the type of player I'd expect to decline quicker than others if my theory holds up.

Agreed on both points. A couple of good shot blocking d-men will hit the market this summer too. Luke Schenn and Roman Polak. Nice change of pace from what we currently have.

Thornton finished top 5 in scoring this year. Zetterberg looked like he should be on the 3rd line of every team. The difference between the two right now is A LOT!

It's a tough call. But I'd have picked prime Zetterberg over Thornton simply because Zetterberg's ability in the playoffs outmatched almost all players. So if it came down to winning a cup, I agree with you for sure. But present day, Thornton's definitely taken a step back but I think Zetterberg has taken quite a few steps back.

Thornton's prime was longer than Zetterberg's, so I'd pick a prime Thornton over him. However, I would take a peak Zetterberg (2008 and 2009) over even Thornton's best season when he won the Hart trophy. Zetterberg was a great playoff performer and two-way player.

I'm sure it happens all the time and gets repaired

always the Penguins ...When it was Bourque's turn to have the Cup in his possession, he heard a rattling bolt on the inside of the Chalice, which he took apart and fixed.

In the process, and inspired by some etchings he saw inside the Cup from the 1940s, Bourque took a screwdriver and scratched "Phil Bourque, Pittsburgh Penguins, 90-91, Enjoy it!" inside the metal frame.

full article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-10-oddest-places-the-stanley-cup-has-ever-visited?urn=nhl,wp6036

at least it's not the original cup

Edited by NerveDamage

i wasnt staying thorton is a bad players im just saying hes cursed...maybe even the whole sharks organization. played lights out until the finals than nothing went their way.

I wonder how many franchises have won a cup on their first time being in the final, though. I don't know the actual number, but I'll bet it's a low number.

i wasnt staying thorton is a bad players im just saying hes cursed...maybe even the whole sharks organization. played lights out until the finals than nothing went their way.

Not cursed. Pittsburgh is just that dominant of a team. SJ was 2nd best.

Everybody trying to make this about SJ being chokers just to not give Pittsburgh credit lmao embarrassing

Everybody trying to make this about SJ being chokers just to not give Pittsburgh credit lmao embarrassing

Is Crosby your boyfriend?

its not that im not giving them credit it just seems like SJ can be dominate every regular season than choke in playoffs. just off my memory anyway

I just wanted to say taht even though the Sharks are known for the proclivity to choke in the playoffs, this year wasn't the case. They just didn't have enough to counter the Pens. Pittsburgh was just that good.