• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Gordie Howe has passed away. 1928-2016.

Rate this topic

To heck with LCA. We should all just start to refer to it as "The Gordie" or "The Howe" from here on out.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

I already named it that in my head... I will be attending games at The Gordie, for sure. It would be awesome if the corporation would step up and re-name the arena in Mr. Hockey's honor.

The Wings have been blessed with so many great players over the years. Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg.

But there will never be another Gordie Howe. He was the greatest player to ever lace up the skates and the classiest player to ever take them off.

RIP #9...you will be missed.

The Red Wings twitter feed has been retweeting messages from several other NHL clubs and their words of condolences. Nice to see teams that are normally bitter rivals standing together. Rocky Wirtz of the Chicago Blackhawks had some especially nice words to say...

The Chicago Blackhawks offer their heartfelt condolences to Gordie’s family and the entire Detroit Red Wings organization. There is no greater rivalry in hockey than the one between the Red Wings and the Blackhawks, and Gordie was a large part of that. There’s a reason why he is called 'Mr. Hockey,' because of what he did for the game, and we stand with the entire sports world, in mourning his loss.

Sad day. Red Wings fans, and hockey fans the world over, will miss you sir.

The Wings have been blessed with so many great players over the years. Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg.

But there will never be another Gordie Howe. He was the greatest player to ever lace up the skates and the classiest player to ever take them off.

RIP #9...you will be missed.

Well spoken, he will always be missed.

RIP Mr. Hockey.

There's a petition in change.org to change the name to Gordie Howe Arena.

https://www.change.org/p/mike-ilitch-change-the-name-of-the-new-red-wings-arena-to-the-gordie-howe-arena?recruiter=100879245&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

#GordieHoweArena

Edited by NerveDamage

Wow. This upcoming season is going to be one for a lot of good-byes: To the Joe, to Pavel [retrospectively], and now to the greatest hockey player who ever lived.

P.S. - The Howe Center (Presented by Little Caesar's - if you want) sounds perfect right about now.

P.P.S. - Don't engage the troll.

Edited by Aethernum

Please, I beg of everyone with this petition, let Mr. Howe pass and let the family move on before you put the Illitch family in the uncomfortable position of probably NOT changing the name of the arena, especially since the Gordie Howe bridge is being built.

I love Gordie Howe and the Red Wings as much as life itself but don't use his passing to pressure the owners right now and make them say something unpopular.

Not close to being the Wings best player of all time, let alone the GOAT. Lidstrom, Feds, Yzerman go before him

You must be 12. Gordie was the best. But don't take my word for it take Gretzky's. he thinks/thought Gordie was the best ever as well.

Not close to being the Wings best player of all time, let alone the GOAT. Lidstrom, Feds, Yzerman go before him

I see what you're going for here, ie the Yankees fans will tell you that Babe Ruth was the greatest Yankee though statistically he was not. BUT he was bigger than life, had a GIANT reputation that preceded him and the fans adored him, just like Gordie. To the Babe Ruth end he was the greatest Wing and hockey ambassador while perhaps not the greatest and best ever at all aspects (Lidstrom).

What does that have to do with anything that happened today? It's a day to celebrate the life of a legend, not to compare him to other great players. But for the record putting Feds above Mr. Hockey is comicial.

What the heck man? best boxer of all time, Babe Rooth and now the best Wing ever? When the hell has heaven become that greedy.

Such a shame, RIP to the greatest Red Wings of all time, a true legend, warrior and from all accounts one of the nicest hockey players you'll ever meet of the ice.

God I wish the term "Legends never die" would be true. Next season will be such a tough one: goodbye to the Joe, Mr. Hockey and Pasha this is NOT fair. Hopefully Chris does the classy thing and pay tribute to such a unbelievable man by naming the arena after him, make Little Caesars Gordie Howe Arena if it needs to be but have his name there, he deserves it, period.

Edited by frankgrimes