• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Gordie Howe has passed away. 1928-2016.

Rate this topic

Written in Sports Illustrated's March 16th 1964 issue...

"The full roster of Howe's hockey injuries includes damaged knee cartilages, broken ribs, a broken wrist, several broken toes, a shoulder dislocation, an assortment of scalp wounds and a painful ankle wound. In a collision on the ice on March 28, 1950 (he was 21), he suffered a severe skull fracture, and he was in an operating room three hours while surgeons worked to halt a hemorrhage in his brain. Gordie dismisses them all with a casual, "Aw, it's not all that bad." And perhaps it isn't, for injuries are a part of hockey. And hockey is the major part of the phenomenon called Gordie Howe."

Rest In Peace Mr Hockey.

"He was someone that was easy to talk to and someone to always get advice from. Whenever the team went through tough periods he was always one of the first people everyone turned to for support".

Niklas Lidström

Must see! Don Cherry and Ron McLean talk about Gordie and Grapes tells a hilarious story about the first thing Gordie ever said to him...

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/741340827000004609

Thanks, I had checked Don's twitter earlier and didn't see anything. I missed this!

By the way, anyone think that the Wings should offer to let Gordie lie in state at the Joe for a bit like the Habs have done before with some of their greats? I'm remembering they did that with Beliveau just a couple years ago, seems like they did it with Rocket Richard as well.

I'm actually coming out of retirement to post what appears to be confirmation http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/hockey-legend-gordie-howe-dies-at-age-88

2016 can go straight to hell.

Edit: Confirmation from the Red Wings http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/06/10/gordie-howe-dies-according-to-numerous-reports/?cid=twitter_971theticketxyt (thanks to Edicius for the link)

Welcome back and what a way to make a comeback

Prayers of to the Howe Family

Thank you for your energy and spirit Gordoe, you will be missed

I love that I have to scroll 4-5 times on ESPNs page to see the Gordie headline but theyre all over Alis funerals nuts and making sure to point out that Bill Clinton was there.

And if you couldn't tell, that was dead sarcasm

It's days like today when you feel weird being away from home. Gordie meant so much to us in Detroit and the hockey world. He was a hero some of our parents grew up with and legend to us kids. When we'd see him at an event or at a rink, you knew you were in the presence of pure, bonafide greatness. The hockey world won't be the same, but we won't forget.