• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Gordie Howe has passed away. 1928-2016.

Rate this topic

Wayne Gretzky: NHL should retire Gordie Howe's #9 jersey

"...I'm pretty biased,” Gretzky said during the visitation at Joe Louis Arena. “If I had my way, I would do it. But that's for the league. I'm not involved with the league right now. But listen, whatever they choose to do is going to be very special because Gordie deserves something really special and unique.

“I don't think anybody helped promote, support the game, the sport or our country better than Gordie Howe,” Gretzky continued. “He was proud to be a Canadian, proud to be from Saskatchewan. And I don't think the NHL is going to overlook the fact of how important he was to the game so I'm sure they are going to do something real special for him.”

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/06/14/gordie-howe-jersey-retirement-wayne-gretzky?xid=si_nhl&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't know if it's viable, since it's posthumous. But if not, perhaps an award or trophy in Howe's honour is in order

@Dave_Stubbs: Gretzky has been at Joe Louis Arena for the entire 12-hour visitation of Gordie. There was nothing that would get him out of the building

Guy's taking it hard :(

Aww... he does look as sad as can be. Poor guy. Tomorrow is going to really be rough for him, he's going to be one of Gordie's pallbearers.

I just have to say, the Detroit Red Wings are without a doubt the most classy, most respectful and simply the best hockey club in the NHL.

Edited by puckloo39

And the family stayed for every one of them. Yet I still don't see any of this on mainstream news like Ali. Total disgrace to give attention to a divisive and controversial figure and not to one of the most stand up human beings and his family of our lifetimes.

And the family stayed for every one of them. Yet I still don't see any of this on mainstream news like Ali. Total disgrace to give attention to a divisive and controversial figure and not to one of the most stand up human beings and his family of our lifetimes.

Ali was the face of boxing throughout the world. Howe was the face of hockey in North America. From what I read there were 100 thousand people lined upto 16 miles for Ali's funeral. Their popularities are not comparable at all.

Edited by kickazz

Ali was more than the face of Boxing, and to those whom diminish him to just a divisive and controversial figure your speech seems racist. I can't imagine how opressive must have been to have lived as a person of colour back then. Imagine that, Ali (or Cassius Clay as some might prefer to call him) being an Olympic Champion and was still treated as a second-class citizen. Him taking a stand against the system of his era is something only Legends do.

Ali was only "divisive" because at that time white people were "divided" about whether or not black people should be treated like human beings but whatever...

Nothing controversial about fighting for civil rights. Gordie is a hockey legend...Ali was a human legend.

Temporarily locking this thread until I can clean this mess up caused by our new friend here. I will bring it back up when it's tidy and all the irrelevant off-topic banter is gone.

UPDATE - Resume discussion as you were, apologies for those who lost posts and content that was in reply to our new troll. Also apologize for not jumping on this sooner, I was at work, but I got on it as soon as I saw the reports in my inbox when I got home.

Lets keep this on topic, even a bit of Ali discussion is fine due to the sports world losing two tremendous figures so close together, but absolutely not in the manner that was presented in the last page of this thread by the new poster. Thanks guys and gals. Long live the memory of Mr. Hockey.

Some beautiful pictures of Gordie's service:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/06/gordie_howe_remembered_in_movi.html#incart_river_index

@kevin_mcgran: Pastor "On Friday, the King of Comebacks closed his eyes. He will open them and see Someone who'll say 'I've been calling you for a while.'"

:(

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Wow. Really? I was referring mostly to the fact he dodged the draft and the supposed justification for doing so. Nothing to do with race at all. Thanks for assumptions. Love it. Like you don't even know. Also, my point was as we all agree, Howe was a stand up class act. But only sports outlets are discussing him. Not even a hey, btw Hockey legend gordie Howe died on any of the mainstream and even alternative news media, nothing. So really my point was the news just likes controversy and stirring the pot. I would appreciate a feel good story from time to time. Gordie deserves it 100%.

Edited by plopster

I also think it's important to acknowledge the grace and humanity the Howes showed through this process. It's hard enough to grieve in private, but to open up a very personal process to the public and be so gracious about it speaks volumes to that whole family's character.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Ali was more than the face of Boxing, and to those whom diminish him to just a divisive and controversial figure your speech seems racist. I can't imagine how opressive must have been to have lived as a person of colour back then. Imagine that, Ali (or Cassius Clay as some might prefer to call him) being an Olympic Champion and was still treated as a second-class citizen. Him taking a stand against the system of his era is something only Legends do.

Wasn't Ali a draft dodger?