• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Gordie Howe has passed away. 1928-2016.

Rate this topic

I have not seen this confirmed anywhere else. If true, I am happy Gordie got a second chance with the medical treatments he received, and got to enjoy a little quality time with his family -- and got to witness how much Hockeytown fans love him at his birthday at the Joe.

I'm actually coming out of retirement to post what appears to be confirmation — http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/hockey-legend-gordie-howe-dies-at-age-88

2016 can go straight to hell.

Edit: Confirmation from the Red Wings — http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/06/10/gordie-howe-dies-according-to-numerous-reports/?cid=twitter_971theticketxyt (thanks to Edicius for the link)

Edited by Electrophile

"I pick Gordie as my No. 1 all-time player. He played the longest. He was the toughest player of his era. He was the best offensive player and defensively. He was used in all situations. He could play center, right wing, and defense. He could shoot right and he could shoot left. If you could make a mold for a hockey player it would be him. I never thought there was another player close to him.

-Scotty Bowman

He didn't look good the last time he was on TV, so I'm not surprised.

It's amazing how many years he played in an era when that wasn't as common. I don't see any athlete in any of the major sports (count counting sissy baseball) who could play until they're 52 and still play at a good level.

Just watched a tribute on sportsnet. When Lidstrom came to Detroit he asked to wear # 9. They pointed to the rafters and told him he couldn't wear that number. #5 looks pretty good up there too. RIP Mr Hockey.

He didn't look good the last time he was on TV, so I'm not surprised.

It's amazing how many years he played in an era when that wasn't as common. I don't see any athlete in any of the major sports (count counting sissy baseball) who could play until they're 52 and still play at a good level.

Right?! I've read his stats a ton of times and they still surprise me.. In an era where the average career length was probably around 6-8 years, Gordie was named to 23 Allstar games.

There will never be another like him.