• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyuk Announcement to Officially Leave NHL

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this would work ... it makes a lot of sense to me, we'd have lots of room to go after Stamkos if we get rid of Datsyuk's contract and Jimmy's.

dont think they would take jimmys contract without us retaining something

I just dont see why a team wouldn't make a trade for the contract, if the team is in the other conference (ie. not competing for a playoff spot) and needs to get to the cap floor.

I understand teams trying to get the best deal possible, but if Holland doesn't budge if its only bad offers are out there, then a team is going to pass on get something for literally nothing.

Some team could get a player like Pulkkinen and a low pick for just taking a contract and terminating it. Too not make that deal as a GM of a team like Arizona is just bad business if its that or nothing.

Edited by kliq

because at the time of signing the contract, datsyuk was still an elite player. according to holland, datsyuk did not want to do one year deals. which as datsyuk said in the mitch album article says was a mistake and that he should have taken the one year deals

holland has made a lot of mistakes the last few years, but the datsyuk situation is not one of them

I wouldn't sign #99 for 3 years fat 7.5 million per if he was in his mid to late 30's. At some point you have to be realistic. It's not like the team was a cup contender at the time. Face it. The team is fighting to keep the streak alive. I'd get it if we still had a Norris winning Lidstrom on the team. But he was already retired.

Overall, it looks like the person Datsyuk is not as smart as the player Datsyuk was. At best, it's just bad advice by his agent. How you can damage your own reputation and legacy like this is beyond me.

https://www.nhl.com/news/pavel-datsyuk-leaves-legacy-with-red-wings/c-280995762

This pretty much hits it... it's just so inappropriate.. :confused:

Overall, it looks like the person Datsyuk is not as smart as the player Datsyuk was. At best, it's just bad advice by his agent. How you can damage your own reputation and legacy like this is beyond me.

https://www.nhl.com/news/pavel-datsyuk-leaves-legacy-with-red-wings/c-280995762

This pretty much hits it... it's just so inappropriate.. :confused:

It's all Sh*tstain...er I mean Greenstin's fault.

Sadly, I can see them not retiring his jersey because he failed to honor his contract. I don't think there's been any franchise player in the Red Wings history who failed to honor their contract. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

6 hour ankle surgery is all I can say to that article. Also it doesn't matter how much money someone makes at some point going home is going to be more important than hockey. This guy gave the Wings 14 years without ever complaining, if there were Pasha's and less Kovalchucks there wouldnt even be a Russian factor.

No ill feelings from me...only thing is I wanted to see him, Z and Kronner win another keep.

Sadly, I can see them not retiring his jersey because he failed to honor his contract. I don't think there's been any franchise player in the Red Wings history who failed to honor their contract. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Even if he did, should he really have his number retired? It's close..but he wasn't anything like a Lidstrom or Yzerman. Maybe if he led us to another cup.

6 hour ankle surgery is all I can say to that article. Also it doesn't matter how much money someone makes at some point going home is going to be more important than hockey. This guy gave the Wings 14 years without ever complaining, if there were Pasha's and less Kovalchucks there wouldnt even be a Russian factor.

No ill feelings from me...only thing is I wanted to see him, Z and Kronner win another keep.

You're mistaken here. Datsyuk wanted to leave in 2014 season. His ankle got injured after in 2015. The injury has nothing to do with him going home, it's always been about his daughter/family.

Edited by kickazz

Here's the entire press conference from Holland about Datsyuk for those who want to watch. It's 45 minutes long. He talked about everything that went down from when they signed the contract extension in 2013 to now and possibilities of moving contract.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/video/ken-holland--media-618/t-278867578/c-44233203

Edited by kickazz

This is sad way for him to go because the discussion everywhere seems to about the contract rather than celebrating the NHL career of one of the best players to put a Wings jersey on.

I don't hold anything against Pav. He's been loyal to us. We had him at a 6.7 caphit 08-14, which is definitely a hometown discount and helped out the team financially. That should be considered in the picture. Also, from Holland's characterization of the situation and him firing his agent, it seems clear that Datsyuk wasn't aware of the rules involved when he signed the 3 year, 35+ deal.

I see many situations where it's not advantageous to trade the Datsyuk contract (trading youth, high picks) but I hope we trade the contract just so people don't blow this little blemish out of proportion; saying he crippled us by leaving the caphit. Especially if we were to miss the playoffs, I could foresee some blame being dumped on him.

I'd like to see his number retired, but I think Fedorov is more deserving and should be done first

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Well said PVD. Pretty much exactly how I feel about the whole situation as well. The main reason I would want Pav's contract moved isn't because I think we would land Stamkos, and it certainly isn't that it would leave the team cash strapped for one season. As much as I would love to have Stamkos on this team, there are three or four other teams that have just as good or better shot at landing him, and other than him, there's not really any big named UFA's that would cost that kind of money anyway. The reason I want that contact traded is more to do with the backlash from fans if we're unable to move it. People are only now starting to come around on the whole Fedorov situation, it would take just as long or longer for people to forgive Pav for something I don't really believe should be entirely on him...

If you watch the press conference with Holland, he literally brought up Datsyuk's contract and how he wanted to leave right away about 5 or 6 times. It's as though he was pushing it on the media.

Fans react to the information they are given, Holland could have easily downplayed the situation. But it seems like he wants people to know that the organization got f***ed (but at the same time he's playing Mr. Nice Guy). Who to blame is left to interpretation. Some might say Greenstein the agent, some might say Datsyuk, others might say Holland.

In a 45 minute press conference you would think Holland would focus on Datsyuk's career as a Wing. Nope. Only brought it up twice. The rest of the time was spent on contract issue. The other thing is, when someone would ask him a question not necessarily related to the backstory of the contract, he would go BACK to it and bring it up lol.

Edited by kickazz