• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyuk Announcement to Officially Leave NHL

Rate this topic

I thought that the hypothetical here was that Datsyuk was out with an injury and went to see his family in Russia? Meaning out for more than a day or 2? In that case, you fly there, sleep for 6-8 hours and you are fine the next day. Spend a week in Russia, fly back, repeat. I have done it myself, it is not a big deal if you are going for more than a few days. I don't care about the salary cap hit at all. I doubt we will get Stamkos, and if we don't, then we are not going to get anyone better than Datsyuk would have been, even at his age. So it's a wash for me - having Datsyuk for one more year or getting tier 2 FA or 2 instead.

I think it all makes sense for you, but somehow it wasn't good enough for Pavel. I respect his decision and the upside from it all is that KH was able to make the moves for it not to be a problem. It doesn't matter if we don't get Stamkos, at least we have the room to make moves.

Time difference is a huge deal. I don't know how often you've had to sit in a plane for 18 hours and then deal with the subsequent jet lag, but its def not worth it for a few days (and couple thousand bucks on a plane ticket). I would also absolutely hate being limited to speaking with my loved ones to either 11pm or 8am (11pm here likely would be when she's in school, and 8am here he's likely getting ready or already at practice, so who knows if even those are an option). You keep saying that you have nothing against Dats, but you're really coming off as a bitter fan, especially when you say things like "oh just call your daughter at 11pm here/9am there. Its not onerous at all."

Look. I am from Siberia, and I have family there. I know exactly how flying there and back feels, and how to Skype with the time difference. It just requires some prior planning and it is NOT a big deal. Which is why I believe that this couldn't be a reason for moving from Detroit to St Peterburg. If he moved to Ekaterinburg, or, failing that, Magnitogorsk or Nizhny Novgorod or even Omsk, it would have made significant difference for family reasons. But moving to St Peterburg or Moscow doesn't improve things in that respect significantly, compared with being over here. Therefore, he is motivated in his decision not by family but by other things. So just say so, no reason to imply family hardship when you are not going to relieve it that much by moving. That is my only point. I don't like when public figures assume that the public is dumb and would eat up anything they say.

Look. I am from Siberia, and I have family there. I know exactly how flying there and back feels, and how to Skype with the time difference. It just requires some prior planning and it is NOT a big deal. Which is why I believe that this couldn't be a reason for moving from Detroit to St Peterburg. If he moved to Ekaterinburg, or, failing that, Magnitogorsk or Nizhny Novgorod or even Omsk, it would have made significant difference for family reasons. But moving to St Peterburg or Moscow doesn't improve things in that respect significantly, compared with being over here. Therefore, he is motivated in his decision not by family but by other things. So just say so, no reason to imply family hardship when you are not going to relieve it that much by moving. That is my only point. I don't like when public figures assume that the public is dumb and would eat up anything they say.

Look at my previous post. I think family is a small factor. I think it was moreso because he wanted to play in his home country. Maybe he got sick of Detroit, Michigan?

Look at my previous post. I think family is a small factor. I think it was moreso because he wanted to play in his home country. Maybe he got sick of Detroit, Michigan?

My reply was not meant for you. Rather for one of the previous posts. I tend to agree with you on this though

If you don't find that it is a big deal it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't find it a big deal. Your view on long distance relationships on opposite ends of the planet vs long distance relationship of a couple hours isn't the absolute correct view and anyone else who feels differently isn't automagically a pansy. I've had to deal with family being 2 hrs away vs 4 hrs away and I found even the extra two hours was so much easier for us. I do agree with Kickazz that he probably has several reasons. But to say that his daughter is not a valid reason is frankly cruel.

As long as his loved ones are within a 90 minute radius

I think you misunderstood my argument.

Here's what I am trying to say: Let's stipulate that Pavel wants to 1. Play in his home country 2. keep playing hockey even if he can't/doesn't want to paly at NHL level 3. Be closer to his family He has 3 possible choices: A. Play one more year in Detroit B, Play in St Petersburg C. Play in Ekaterinburg for much less money

Option A doesn't satisfy any of his desires Option B satisfies 1 and 2, but not so much 3, Option 3 satisfies all 3 of his goals. Pavel chooses Option B. That suggests to me that in his ranking of wants, want #3 is not very important, because he could have chosen Option C that meets all 3 requirements, but instead he chose option B that pays more but doesn't meet desire #3. Ergo, he prefers to make more money rather than being 2-3 hours closer to his family. Given this logical chain, I say that he is not motivated by family reasons as much as he is by the first 2 reasons. Therefore I dislike him saying that he wants to be closer to his family, when his behavior shows clearly that this is at best the 3rd reason in importance compared to playing in Russia and making most money he can get there.

To illustrate my point: Suppose you went to the grocery store and saw apples and peaches sold for $1.99/lb You bought apples. If you then tell me that you like peaches better than apples, I will look into your shopping basket and know that you do not actually like peaches more than apples, because you could have bought peaches, but got apples instead.

Edited by sibiriak

Pavel Datsyuk writes open letter to Detroit Red Wing fans

Dear Friends,

I am blessed to have received an offer to continue my hockey career at home with SKA in St. Petersburg. It was a difficult decision to retire from the Red Wings and NHL, but in my heart, I believe it is the best decision for me an my family.

“My decision was not an easy one. Your support of the Detroit Red Wings and of me personally has meant so much to me. I arrived a young man that few had heard of and I am leaving with so many offering their kind wishes, love and respect. I am so thankful. You have provided so much for me and my family and I will be forever graceful to the game of hockey, the NHL, the Detroit Red Wings and most importantly, to you, our fans.

“With the reality that I will no longer be a Red Wing or playing in the NHL, I realize there are a lot of people I would like to personally thank.

“I also want to especially thank Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch and the entire Ilitch family for all their support over the years. They are tremendous owners and I loved playing for them. Similarly, I owe a great deal to Ken Holland for his understanding and support during the last few years in particular, but really throughout my career. Ken and the entire organization have always treated me well and he, together with all of the organization, are a major reason why every player in the league wants to play in Detroit.

“I would also like to thank all of my teammates. We have had many successes, and many times fell short of our goals, but it has been an honor and privilege to play by your side.

“I also want to thank all of my coaches, in particular Mike Babcock for his support, wisdom and guidance over most of my career and Jeff Blashill for taking over and leading us to another playoff year. I am confident that Coach Blashill will have a high level of success and will continue to add to the great history of the Detroit Red Wings.

“Finally and most importantly, to the fans of the Detroit Red Wings throughout Michigan, the United States and Canada (as well as those in Russia and elsewhere). I so appreciated your passionate support over the years and truly enjoyed playing for you. I loved playing in Detroit!

“From the bottom of my heart I thank you all for everything.”

Edited by NerveDamage

So, this guy renigs on his contract to play close to family...then signs to play on a team 30 hours away from his daughter.

Automatically disqualifies has # from being retired in my book.

But you want Fedorov's number retired? Come on lol.

I think 91 should be and if 13 is so should 40. Otherwise only 91 and neither 13 nor 40. Or none of them.

Edited by kickazz

So, this guy renigs on his contract to play close to family...then signs to play on a team 30 hours away from his daughter.

How long of a flight if he has the ability to take a private jet?

Edited by kliq

There isnt a flight in the world that takes 30 hours. Lol