• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Drew Miller re-signs... 1 year deal $1.025 million

Rate this topic

Somewhere, Holland has a smug look on his face... only because he always has a smug look on his face.

Personally, I would have rather used that money and gone after Matt Martin, not least because his trash talk his better.

Detroit Red WingsVerified account ‏@DetroitRedWings 7m7 minutes ago

UPDATE: #RedWings sign Drew Miller to a one-year contract extension: http://redwn.gs/29gW8F1

Basically you are replacing Vitale LTIR contract with this one

1 mil for a 1 year... Not bad

Vitale was never gonna be on the roster , a throw in for us to pay his salary , now with miller's resigning it means more bad news for the kids

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign one ufa and bring back helm , sent down mantha and lose/trade pulkkinen frk jurco and basically have the same roster we did last season

It's the redwing way ... Heck for the hell of it sign clearly as the 13th guy

Vitale was never gonna be on the roster , a throw in for us to pay his salary , now with miller's resigning it means more bad news for the kids

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign one ufa and bring back helm , sent down mantha and lose/trade pulkkinen frk jurco and basically have the same roster we did last season

It's the redwing way ... Heck for the hell of it sign clearly as the 13th guy

Jeez dude it's not that bad... look what happened to our PK when he left

I'd rather have him on the 4th line than Pulkkinen Frk or Jurco IMO

Jeez dude it's not that bad... look what happened to our PK when he left

I'd rather have him on the 4th line than Pulkkinen Frk or Jurco IMO

I agree, and besides it's just a one year extension. or do some people still think that Drew Miller is taking AA's spot?

Miller and Glendening are possession black holes. Whatever positives they bring are outweighed by the fact that they spend all of their time at even-strength without the puck (often against top players, because reasons). You don't win with a fourth line that's "gritty and real good defensively." You win with a fourth line that's talented enough to be a third line and can devour other teams' bottom-sixers. Also, this is one less spot for a kid, which is always good to see. (yeah but thoes kidzn arnt real gud defensivly)

Edited by Dabura

People still believe Miller is needed on this team? I don't get it. He's terrible 5on5 and is incredibly overrated on the penalty kill. I'm not going to complain too much about a $1M depth signing, but there are a number of kids that could have stepped in and provided everything Miller can plus more, and would have costed slightly less...

Miller and Glendening are possession black holes. Whatever positives they bring are outweighed by the fact that they spend all of their time at even-strength without the puck (often against top players, because reasons). You don't win with a fourth line that's "gritty and real good defensively." You win with a fourth line that's talented enough to be a third line and can devour other team's bottom-sixers. Also, this is one less spot for a kid, which is always good to see. (yeah but thoes kidzn arnt real gud defensivly)

It's almost impossible to have that in a cap league. If the 4th line cam contribute in any way, it's a positive. The real issue is over use of them, and that's a coaching issue.

Again, Miller's penalty killing is 'Incredibly Overrated'... ^ Prime example...

Yes, there absolutely are better penalty killers on team currently that will get less time with this signing, as well as players down in Grand Rapids that won't get their shot due to this signing...

People think because Miller can block shots that he's a great penalty killer. Well there's a hell of a lot more that goes into a penalty kill than just blocking shots... You know who doesn't block a lot of shots and is a great penalty killer? Athanasiou. You know why? Because his aggressiveness and speed allows him to get on top of the shooter quicker, before they're able to get in a shooting position.

You know why our PK was so successful 10 years ago? Because we had our best players killing penalties. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were great penalty killers and how many shots did they block? They killed penalties with skill and smarts, not heart and grit...

Houda is our new defense and PK coach. You know why the Bruins penalty kill was so successful? Because he had some of their best players (Bergeron, Marchand, Eriksson, Krejci) killing penalties.

Of course we had Draper and Maltby killing penalties as well, and Boston had Kelly and Campbell, but the best penalty killers are always the smarter, more skilled players in my opinion. Speed certainly doesn't hurt either, which is something Miller lacks, and a number of other players on our team have to burn...

If it were up to me Helm would be back and Miller would have been let go, and we would have had a penalty kill unit filled with skill and speed...

Glendening - Larkin

Athanasiou - Helm

with Abdelkader and Sheahan subbing in when needed and Callahan and / or Bertuzzi if / when they get a look...

why overplay Larkin and expose him like that?

So that one day Larkin can grow up to do this.

It's not overplaying or exposing. Hank also broke the franchise record that year for all time points in a playoff season.

If a player is good enough to do it all, he should do it all. Fedorov, Yzerman, Datsyuk, Zetterberg killed penalties, played on the PP, and played major minutes 5 on 5. Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron do it now. Larkin will be doing it all soon enough.

Edited by kickazz

How would playing Larkin on the penalty kill "expose" him? As for over playing him, I'd personally prefer him on the penalty kill than power-play, but that's a whole other topic... Like I mentioned before, in the past our best players played both power-play and penalty kill and excelled in both areas. Why should it be any different now?...

A penalty kill should be threatning. Miller is not an offensive threat. When we have the superstars killing our penalties, more often than not it resulted in short handed goals. Remember what AA this did year? (not a superstar yet but definitely a higher upside than Miller)

Edited by kickazz