• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xault

Lesser FA players.

Rate this topic

I don't post much at all, so sorry if something like this has already been posted.

I know the hype right now are players like Stamkos, Backes, Okposo, so on. But what about someone like Matt Martin. I've always really liked Martin because he hit everything that moves, everything. If I had to guess not many really care for him, or he may not fit in on our team well. So the question is. What are some of the none top FA guys you wouldn't mind going after if we've got the cap space.

Edited by xault

Well he is signed now, but I really liked what I saw from the New York Islanders 4th liner Casey Cizikas this season. I would have loved him anchoring our penalty kill. With that said I really like Luke Glendening, however Cizikas is another level above him. Something tells me our new PK coach Houda would agree, which I can't validate of course.

Lesser FA signings would be pointless for this team. I'd rather have the young guys fill those roles and develop. We have room for about 2 stud forwards and a stud defenseman. Signing anyone else would force us to expose our good prospects to waivers.

While I partially agree that we need to play home grown talent Matt Martin here is exception in my point of view. We really lack such kind of players.

Lesser FA signings would be pointless for this team. I'd rather have the young guys fill those roles and develop. We have room for about 2 stud forwards and a stud defenseman. Signing anyone else would force us to expose our good prospects to waivers.

Completely agree. Those types of players are great for a team on the verge of a cup when they have the stars and are just looking to upgrade a few of their lower lines, but for us a team re-building I would rather play the kids in those spots. The only kind of UFA's I want to sign are those that are game changers that can be a part of our core for years and years to come. The only exception I would make would be re-signing some of our vets as long as the contracts are reasonable.

Now, if the trade deadline comes and we are one of the top teams in the league and we traded for one of these types of players in anticipation of a a deep playoff run, that I would be okay with, but we are not there yet, not even close.

The only truly elite player available in free agency is Stamkos, everyone else are secondary scorers / depth players. If we're unable to land Stamkos, our best option is probably the trade route. Unfortunately though, we need both an elite level center as well as an elite level defenseman, and we likely only have the assets to acquire one or the other via trade (without completely gutting all future assets).

I'm not even sure who's been rumored to be available at center other than Nugent-Hopkins, Duchene, Bozak and possibly Hanzal. None of which are close to the calibre of Stamkos and all would cost a ton of assets. On defense there's Trouba, Shattenkirk and Fowler. All would be upgrades to our back end, but again would cost a ton of assets...

I think the chances of Holland making one big trade is slim, and the chance of him making two, zero... We need Stamkos, I'm just not so sure how comfortable I would be with him signing $12M for 7 years...

Martin would be nice. Leads the league in hits every year, chips in 8-10 goals a year and isn't a black hole possession wise for a bottom sixer.

If Stamkos doesn't work out, of the secondary guys I hope we get Ladd. 20-30 goal scorer, leadership, physical play, pretty fast player. As intrigued as I am by Lucic, 6 years for a big guy like him at 28 is bad business.

The problem with the Redwing's is they truly lack scoring and that's a big issue. Losing Datsyuk is a big whole and when your leading player in points last season is a declining Henrik with just over 50 it's not looking great. Young players are coming and the development process is there and evident but you gotta score to win in this league, our defense is not elite enough to break even on our lack of producing. Martin would be fantastic, but would fit in a lot better when there's a solid depth of scoring and he can chip in those 10+ goals when times get cold. The biggest need this off season is evident, scoring, scoring, and scoring (and if luck had it, aquiring a top 2 defenseman). Depth is on the back burner until we solve the bigger issues.

justin schultz wasn't qualified by the pens and is a UFA. could be a low risk/ high reward signing

Ruh roh... Wings were aggressively pursuing him in 2012. I wonder if they still feel he'd be worth it. I can see, if they can sign him to no more than a 2 year deal for $3.5 or under, that he might be worth the risk. This is all if they strike out on any other d-men. He and Smith were defensive partners at Wisconsin for one season.

i am on the fence about stamkos.

on 1 hand, elite sniper dont grow on trees. would be epic to have the loaded gun every single power play.

but, his blood clot is an issue, his playoff resume is not good, and he doesn't help on defense.

i am almost in the boat of, okposo+eriksson+martin 22 goals 30 goals 10 goals

then unload nyquist+smith+jurco +2nd for shattenkirk

trade howard for backup goalie +2nd

quincey out- oulette in

helm out-mantha in

sproul/jensen 7th D

Give me Matt Martin and Luke Schenn 2 guys who will hit everything that moves all the time both shouldn't cost much.

Thing is, I believe the Wings could still afford these 2 guys even WITH Stamkos. But if you sign a UFA D, which one or two of our guys do you trade away? We have 6 NHL defensemen once DD and Marchy are re-signed and 3 kids in GR with no more exemptions. XO having the most NHL experience of the three. Keeping in mind, outside of a buyout, no way we can rid ourselves of E....not unless we can convince Nill to take him on and retain some money.

Thing is, I believe the Wings could still afford these 2 guys even WITH Stamkos. But if you sign a UFA D, which one or two of our guys do you trade away? We have 6 NHL defensemen once DD and Marchy are re-signed and 3 kids in GR with no more exemptions. XO having the most NHL experience of the three. Keeping in mind, outside of a buyout, no way we can rid ourselves of E....not unless we can convince Nill to take him on and retain some money.

Yeah I agree. I would think after we sign whatever top FA we would be able to still get someone like Martin.

I also rather have the "kids" play in AHL if they are going to get less than 10mins a night. Nothing pissed me off more than AA getting ZERO ice time in the 3rd during the playoffs, this wasn't just during the playoffs. I'm sorry, but no one can tell me 8-10mins a night in the NHL is better off for a young player than playing top 3-6 role in the AHL. If we are going to play the kids, that we hope to be top players on our team, let them play real minutes.

Edited by xault

I don't know. In general I agree about ice time, but at a certain point I think a young player does benefit from playing against bigger, stronger, faster and smarter guys, even if it's only for 8 minutes a night. Low ice time was a waste of Athanasiou's talent, but I bet he's learning more about how the game plays in those limited minutes than he would in the AHL. More ice time in the AHL helps with rounding out physical talent, but adapting and thinking the NHL game can only happen through playing, and limited minutes gives him a chance to think about what he's learning.

I'm also not too concerned about us having too many defensemen. We're only "stuck" with Kronwall, Green, Ericsson, and DeKeyser. Marchenko, Oullet, Sproul, and Smith are all tradeable. My money is only one of the kids getting packaged for a trade. Smith, too, because he's been shopping already last season. Nobody wanted him, but nobody wanted Kindl at first, either. We can unload him for something. If he can pull off a top two defender (preferably a clear number 1), Holland will have us set up with a decent (though still not spectacular) defensive core.

New Guy-Green

DeKeyser-Kronwall

Ericsson-Marchenko/Oullet/Sproul

If we have the roster or cap space, might as well have the kids rotate in and out to see if one runs with the position. Marchenko was good for us last year, but he's not an untouchable by any means, so that opens up some options, too. The defense is not some unsolvable riddle just because we have so many inked to contracts.

Yeah I agree. I would think after we sign whatever top FA we would be able to still get someone like Martin.

I also rather have the "kids" play in AHL if they are going to get less than 10mins a night. Nothing pissed me off more than AA getting ZERO ice time in the 3rd during the playoffs, this wasn't just during the playoffs. I'm sorry, but no one can tell me 8-10mins a night in the NHL is better off for a young player than playing top 3-6 role in the AHL. If we are going to play the kids, that we hope to be top players on our team, let them play real minutes.

Yeah you could be right. I may still feel salty about what happen with AA and Mantha at the end of the season and during the playoffs. I just feel like if I'm gonna have someone play 8-10 minutes a night, may as well be the league leader in hits over the last 3-4 seasons.

Troy Brouwer will come at a cost, but he'll be worth it. Solid depth player with a scoring touch and outstanding leadership skills. If and when the big fish sign elsewhere, Brouwer will be a very underrated signing and will instantly become a fan favorite in Detroit.