• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Lindros, Makarov, Vachon, Quinn going to the Hall

Rate this topic

Nice to see Lindros get the nod. He deserves to be there. But overall, holy hell what a weak class compared to the last few.

Weak class? I have no idea who Quinn (Pat?) and Vachon were but Sergey Makarov is one of the best players in the history of hockey. Top 50 of all time easily. His NHL career was short but I'm sure that 40+ fans clearly remember Makarov dominating the best NHL's while playing for USSR.

We all know who Lindros was as well. A unique forward dominating NHL in his prime.

Weak class? I have no idea who Quinn (Pat?) and Vachon were but Sergey Makarov is one of the best players in the history of hockey. Top 50 of all time easily. His NHL career was short but I'm sure that 40+ fans clearly remember Makarov dominating the best NHL's while playing for USSR.

We all know who Lindros was as well. A unique forward dominating NHL in his prime.

Don't lecture people on hockey when you don't even know who Pat Quinn is.

Don't lecture people on hockey when you don't even know who Pat Quinn is.

Well, I guessed Pat. Just forgot that the HOF standard for coaches is way lower than for players.

I rooted against Eric Lindros for the majority of his career, but he is very deserving of this honor. Dominate power forward throughout the 90's. He shot hard, hit hard and was always a big presence on the ice. Unfortunately, when you're as hated as he was and got physical as much as he did, injuries are inevitable. Regardless of the level of this particular class, I'm glad he is going to be recognized as one of the best to ever play.

Vachon is certainly a head scratcher. I know of him, but have never seen him play....which usually means he was pretty good, otherwise, why would I have heard of him?

It is difficult to compare goalie stats from his day to more recent years though. On the radio today, the discussion on Vachon came up and they didn't think he really had HOF type credentials, guys like Andy Moog were brought up...again, someone that doesn't really jump out as HOF worthy (Curtis Joseph, Chris Osgood, etc.).

watching Lindros, Stevens is just awesome two big boys playing hockey the way it should be played.

Stevens may as well be the best open ice hitter ever

Definitely a great hitter, but its hard to compare guys like him and Vladdy to players now a days because the majority of their hits would no longer be legal.

Just one example, but Imagine the what Kronwall could have done over the last 10 years if he had 1990's rules. Its all for the best mind you, as I dont want to see players with severe brain trauma and CTE as they age, but before I knew the long term effects it was damn entertaining.

Kinda like the top 10 Stevens' hits ....how many games would he have been suspended....

Kozzie hit was number 3 after that hit he was speaking Russlish neither Russian or English...

sorry to derail but some of the hits are absurd plus he answered the bell if challenged.

Makarov is the best winger of the 1980's. It's not a weak year, unless you started watching hockey in the 90's and never bothered learning about the game's history. Lindros and Vachon, along with Makarov were the best players not in the HHOF. Long time coming for two of them.

Makarov is the best winger of the 1980's. It's not a weak year, unless you started watching hockey in the 90's and never bothered learning about the game's history. Lindros and Vachon, along with Makarov were the best players not in the HHOF. Long time coming for two of them.

Weak year comparitively to last. Had Lidstrom, Fedorov been eligible this year, I doubt Lindros would have gotten in.

I think that's overstatement. People don't know him as well because he was only in the NHL for 6 years (+6 games) and the Soviet league had little coverage in North America. His NHL years were 89-96 so 90s fans would know him, but he was only among the league's highest producers for the first 2-3 years

Also, I can't buy him as the best winger of the 80s. I think you have to go with Mike Bossy. Probable Jari Kurri ahead as well. Also just the problem of comparing leagues since he wasn't in the NHL in the 80s

PVD...Makarov was not amount the league's highest producers for the first 2-3 years or ever. Those years, he was 4th or 5th on his team in scoring, the highest he ever finished from a league perspective was 28th. This is why a lot may not think of him much.

I admit to not seeing a lot of him and never thinking of him when I was a kid, but I know enough now to understand he was one of the best back in the 80s. It was entirely due to his Russian experience though, not NHL, that's why people don't think of him much. Larionov is very similar that way, his stats in the NHL were not that great, his accomplishments were more international (Markarov's were better in that respect).

PVD...Makarov was not amount the league's highest producers for the first 2-3 years or ever. Those years, he was 4th or 5th on his team in scoring, the highest he ever finished from a league perspective was 28th. This is why a lot may not think of him much.

I admit to not seeing a lot of him and never thinking of him when I was a kid, but I know enough now to understand he was one of the best back in the 80s. It was entirely due to his Russian experience though, not NHL, that's why people don't think of him much. Larionov is very similar that way, his stats in the NHL were not that great, his accomplishments were more international (Markarov's were better in that respect).

Agreed. I was just including 28th and 29th in points (his first 2 years, slipped to 53rd in 3rd year) as a "amongst the league's highest producers." Maybe that was a bit generous, though.