• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BobL

Stamkos to... Tampa

Rate this topic

Don't get me wrong, it would have been nice to add a goal scoring machine like Stamkos. But with the amount we would have had to pay him (which would have been much more than the 8.5 he accepted with Tampa) and a blood clot issue that doesn't always just go away forever (ask Chris Bosh about that one), I think this is truly a blessing in disguise for the Wings.

We can now afford to add 2 good players to the roster. And none that have potentially career ending medical issues, that may or may not resurface somewhere down the road. So hopefully we can add a Lucic and another top name. There's so many reliable options on the market. I think for once, most of us will be pleased on July 1st.

Don't get me wrong, it would have been nice to add a goal scoring machine like Stamkos. But with the amount we would have had to pay him (which would have been much more than the 8.5 he accepted with Tampa) and a blood clot issue that doesn't always just go away forever (ask Chris Bosh about that one), I think this is truly a blessing in disguise for the Wings.

We can now afford to add 2 good players to the roster. And none that have potentially career ending medical issues, that may or may not resurface somewhere down the road. So hopefully we can add a Lucic and another top name. There's so many reliable options on the market. I think for once, most of us will be pleased on July 1st.

Who you think? Heavy rumor is Lucic to Edmonton so I don't see it happening.

I for one will still be watching TSN friday( like it's christmas )awaiting to here what our presents are.Don't get me wrong, i am upset we won't be landing the stud in stammer.However we will see more experienced coaching and *hopefully* emerging talent this year.

Yes, exactly like Christmas; I never got what I wanted.

Wow! The reaction to this signing reminds me of a child having a temper tantrum because the store they went to sold out of the toy they wanted. Stamkos re-signed with the only team he has ever known, it happens. We need to forget about Stamkos and move on.

Its not a sign and trade, TSN is reporting he signed for 8 years at 68 million. Detroit was going to offer 7 years at 70 million. It would make no sense for him to sign for more years and less money if it was a sign and trade.

Edited by kliq

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the right price and reasonable term. The guy has a lot to prove. Give him a short deal to prove it.

Why would he take a reasonable term? He's at the end of his prime, this is his last long term high dollar contract. With Stamkos off the board he would do himself a disservice taking a value contract.

Why would he take a reasonable term? He's at the end of his prime, this is his last long term high dollar contract. With Stamkos off the board he would do himself a disservice taking a value contract.

He isn't going to get a long term high dollar contract. Just watch, he will sign a one year deal somewhere to try and prove he has some hockey left in him.

It's absolutely critical that Kenny and the rest of our management team not panic and over pay (IN MONEY OR TERM) for the good but not great players left out there...

If good players can't be had for reasonable term and dollars leave the space unspent and see what the kids can do. Spending money for the sake of it would make this an epic fail!

He isn't going to get a long term high dollar contract. Just watch, he will sign a one year deal somewhere to try and prove he has some hockey left in him.

At 31, and being the best available center on the board he has no reason to take a value contract. He's had a couple down years, but, who else are teams like the Wings going to sign? I don't know if this is your first year following free agency, but a lot of players a lot worse than Staal have cashed in on being the best available player, despite huge red flags.

At 31, and being the best available center on the board he has no reason to take a value contract. He's had a couple down years, but, who else are teams like the Wings going to sign? I don't know if this is your first year following free agency, but a lot of players a lot worse than Staal have cashed in on being the best available player, despite huge red flags.

I'm actually gonna question your experience watching free agency, as just last year there was no big, reckless spending. Guys like Lucic, Backes, Ladd will get paid. But you're crazy if you think anyone is gonna break the bank for Eric Staal. The guy is a huge question mark right now and has said himself he looks forward to a fresh start and fully expects to have to prove himself first.

How about doing nothing other than bring in some entertainment i.e. Martin, Brouwer (maybe) Bourdelaus and try to get Liljegren next year. He won't be a free agent all you need to do is finish bottom 5

I'm actually gonna question your experience watching free agency, as just last year there was no big, reckless spending. Guys like Lucic, Backes, Ladd will get paid. But you're crazy if you think anyone is gonna break the bank for Eric Staal. The guy is a huge question mark right now and has said himself he looks forward to a fresh start and fully expects to have to prove himself first.

Weiss says hello. Clarkson says hello. Semin says hello. Pouliot says hello. Orpik says hello. Clowe says hello.

And those are just off the top of my head. Seriously, there have been 2-3 terrible signings a year of players who had series red flags, just because teams were desperate to fill a position. Staal's agent isn't stupid and with Stamoks gone it's a sellers market.

Weiss says hello. Clarkson says hello. Semin says hello. Pouliot says hello. Orpik says hello. Clowe says hello.

And those are just off the top of my head. Seriously, there have been 2-3 terrible signings a year of players who had series red flags, just because teams were desperate to fill a position. Staal's agent isn't stupid and with Stamoks gone it's a sellers market.

Keep bringing up this examples from multiple years ago. Last year is a better example of how things will play out. Canadian economy in the s***s, cap barely rose. Teams don't spend wrecklessly like they used to.

Keep bringing up this examples from multiple years ago. Last year is a better example of how things will play out. Canadian economy in the s***s, cap barely rose. Teams don't spend wrecklessly like they used to.

The American economy, where a lot of these signings occurred, though, is doing wonderfully. I could see your argument if Stamkos was on the board, but with Stamkos off the board Staal becomes one of the top centers available. This was a win-fall for him.

The American economy, where a lot of these signings occurred, though, is doing wonderfully. I could see your argument if Stamkos was on the board, but with Stamkos off the board Staal becomes one of the top centers available. This was a win-fall for him.

The Canadian economy has a huge impact on the league as a whole. You know, that whole revenue sharing thing? 6 Canadian teams contributed to 1/3rd of revenue when the economy was good. Now 7 teams can;t crack 25% of revenue. Why do you think the cap barely rose?

There are still other centers that will be signed long before Staal. He isn't magically #1 on teams list with Stamkos gone. He wasn't even on the radar before today. For the most part, still isn't.