• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

frankgrimes

Shea Weber for Pernal Karl Subban

Rate this topic

Old, slow, declining Weber is now going to be the go to guy in every single situation and have to play 25mins a night, it's going to be a trainwreck :P

And they're stuck with that 10year contract to add insult to injury.

Thankfully all you guys and even the Habsfans who think Weber is past his prime will have the ability to watch him. As a Wingsfan that's just scary.

Thankfully all you guys and even the Habsfans who think Weber is past his prime will have the ability to watch him. As a Wingsfan that's just scary.

It's not the least bit scary, have you seen his stats? The other team has the puck all the time when he's on the ice.

And that's when he played with Josi...

Edited by Ekmanc

It's not the least bit scary, have you seen his stats? The other team has the puck all the time when he's on the ice.

And that's when he played with Josi...

I don't need to I know what Weber can and brings to the table. Leadership bar none (hence him winning the Messier award), physicality, offense, defense and a shot straight out of a laser canon. Oh and btw. the guy had 20 goals. Yeah he wasn't that good in the playoffs but if this years playoffs are a standard for anything even mr. perfect Duncan Keith would be on the "decline"

You must be thinking of 2009 Weber...

Modern hockey is all about possession, quick outlet passes and being mobile, Weber is awful at all of those things and will just get worse every year.

Edited by Ekmanc

I don't need to I know what Weber can and brings to the table. Leadership bar none (hence him winning the Messier award), physicality, offense, defense and a shot straight out of a laser canon. Oh and btw. the guy had 20 goals. Yeah he wasn't that good in the playoffs but if this years playoffs are a standard for anything even mr. perfect Duncan Keith would be on the "decline"

Duncan Keith has been playing hockwy until June most years as a reason to not have a lot left in the tank these playoffs. What's Weber's excuse?

Weber's foot speed is almost gone, if anyone watched the playoffs they'd see that. Stats and the eye test don't lie, Nashville's D went from best in the league to... still best in the league. Josi-Subban are going to be incredible together.

You must be thinking of 2009 Weber...

Modern hockey is all about possession, quick outlet passes and being mobile, Weber is awful at all of those things and will just get worse every year.

I guess you are refering to puck movement, well puck movement is 1 style but it's not the only style and thanks god it isn't because it's such a boring to watch style. There are all sorts of styles puck movements, heavy hitting, playing physical, defense first and what not so I wouldn't say "modern hockey is all about this or that". And if the last year is an indication of modern hockey, I'd gladly say no thanks because it was boring as hell.

And this is the beauty of a player like Weber, he is an absolute horse who can play every style you want. I think Chara light would be a good comparison.

I guess you are refering to puck movement, well puck movement is 1 style but it's not the only style and thanks god it isn't because it's such a boring to watch style. There are all sorts of styles puck movements, heavy hitting, playing physical, defense first and what not so I wouldn't say "modern hockey is all about this or that". And if the last year is an indication of modern hockey, I'd gladly say no thanks because it was boring as hell.

And this is the beauty of a player like Weber, he is an absolute horse who can play every style you want. I think Chara light would be a good comparison.

As in past his prime?

Sadly for you you can't say no, the league is getting faster by the day and Weber is going the opposite way, he's a dinosaur, a dying breed.

Well I can because last year wasn't what I consider hockey. I mean when 1 minute highlights from almost 20, 30 years ago are more entertaining than the whole game today something is wrong. And I'm not saying that because the Wings where bad it's an overall assumption.

Weber just turned 30 and people will soon see that not only is he one of the best defenders in the game in terms of overall package what he brings to the table is unmatched...age aside there's nobody I'd rather have in the blue line

This thread is turning into a "is Weber washed up or not thread".

I dont think anyone truly believes Weber is a bad player, its just when you are traded for a player of PK's caliber, you are going to be put under a microscope as everyone wants to asses who "won" the trade.

Personally I think Nashville won, but not so much based on what hey can both do in 2016, more so the long term implications of this deal. Now with that being said, if what we are hearing is true, PK not being liked in the locker room and creating a divide AND with his no movement clause kicking in July 1st maybe this is the best they could get in return with the short window remaining. Alot of teams are likely unwilling to make a deal with free agency not even starting yet.

For me, the killer is Weber contract as the guy has an 8million cap hit until I think 2026. Because of this alone, Nashville wins. Weber is going to be a cap killer for Montreal in 5 years. Subban will likely be a good player for the majority of his contract.

Nashville made out like bandits here. While Weber is still a legitimate offensive threat, he isn't the greatest skater anymore and his defensive positioning suffers because of it. Having his defensive partner change from Josi to Andrei Markov likely won't help him.

This move doesn't make much sense for Montreal.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Another little note per General Fanager Twitter:

If Weber retires before contract ends, #Preds will be charged on the cap $24,571,432 divided by years remaining in recapture penalties.

Edited by amato

Subban must have wanted out of Montreal. Or they didn't see eye to eye with him. I don't see why you make this trade unless there were off ice issues.

I doubt he wanted out of MTL. He just donated 10mil to a children hospital MTL. I'd say he was pretty invested and had no plans of leaving.

Weber is unreal it doesn't matter what some arm chair GMs believe. What will matter is the brute force , lethal shot and unmatched leadership abilities Weber will bring.

Teams like the Wings will again have the pleasure of facing him 6 times a year, not exactly encouraging.

I think the first 3 years it isn't even a question that the Habs won this trade, if Subban can further round out his game then it might change after that but till then...Poile traded their leader and best blueliner Nashville ever had.