• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

frankgrimes

Shea Weber for Pernal Karl Subban

Rate this topic

I think the trade was terrible, but not because Shea Weber isn't a good defenseman.  Usually people tend to view trades in terms of Player X vs. Player Y, and I get that, but that's not the reason why the trade was so lopsided.  It was a bad trade because it showed that Marc Bergevin has a spectacularly poor understanding of which direction the game is trending.  His team was already slow, and had trouble keeping the puck out of his own zone.  Carey Price gets shelled all the time, and it's a testament to him that he's been so successful at keeping the Canadiens competitive.  Montreal needed MORE guys like Subban, not less.  They traded puck moving ability, which it at a premium because of the affect it has DEFENSIVELY, for a few more points and few more goals from one player over the other.  That's why it's a really bad trade.  Well that and the fact that Weber is older and has a horrible contract.  But those things are sorta secondary IMO. 

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I think the trade was terrible, but not because Shea Weber isn't a good defenseman.  Usually people tend to view trades in terms of Player X vs. Player Y, and I get that, but that's not the reason why the trade was so lopsided.  It was a bad trade because it showed that Marc Bergevin has a spectacularly poor understanding of which direction the game is trending.  His team was already slow, and had trouble keeping the puck out of his own zone.  Carey Price gets shelled all the time, and it's a testament to him that he's been so successful at keeping the Canadiens competitive.  Montreal needed MORE guys like Subban, not less.  They traded puck moving ability, which it at a premium because of the affect it has DEFENSIVELY, for a few more points and few more goals from one player over the other.  That's why it's a really bad trade.  Well that and the fact that Weber is older and has a horrible contract.  But those things are sorta secondary IMO. 

Subban didn't respek da systum

If you go back to the 3 Bold Predictions thread, one of my predictions was that Nashville would win the Cup over Washington. The major reason that I thought/think this is because I view this trade in a similar fashion to the Shanny/Coffey/Primeau trade. I believe it is going to go down as the trade that gave Nashville the piece they needed to finally put them over the top. I don't believe Weber is a bad player, and this is in no way an effort to put him down, but I do believe that Subban is the superior player in 2017. I also believe that making a change like this completely changes the dynamic of a team, and I do not believe that if Weber was there over Subban they would still be doing what they are doing this post season. Hockey is not that simplistic, this is not a video game where if you simply take player A out, and put player B is, nothing changes. In my mind, Nashville is the run away winner, and that is not even taking Weber's ridiculous contract into consideration. Montreal got fleeced here.

Crazy how this trade ended up. Weber and his team gets KO'd round 1 and Subban is officially in the Stanley cup playoffs with Nashville for the first time in franchise HISTORY. 

What Weber couldn't do in 11 years with Nashville, Subban helps do it in a year. 

10 points in 16 playoff games too. 

Montreal got robbed big time. 

Edited by kickazz

10 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Crazy how this trade ended up. Weber and his team gets KO'd round 1 and Subban is officially in the Stanley cup playoffs with Nashville for the first time in franchise HISTORY. 

What Weber couldn't do in 11 years with Nashville, Subban helps do it in a year. 

10 points in 16 playoff games too. 

Montreal got robbed big time. 

Then when you consider that Subban is 28 and Weber is 31, and Subban is under contract for another 5 years (becoming a UFA at 33) while Weber is under contract for another 9 (becoming a UFA at 40) its just not even close. Montreal possibly made one of the worst trades in NHL history. 

How funny if it blows up in their face year 1. I thought that it would at least take a couple of years until this happened.

I really doubt that the teams wouldn't have done what they did this year if the trade hadn't been made.  The only difference is that the Habs fans would be foaming at the mouth trying to blame Subban for flaming out and the Preds fans would be pumping Weber up as some All Time Great.  Montreal fizzled because of reasons other than Weber and Nashville advanced because of a great team defense and getting enough timely scoring for the first time in their history.  This isn't the NBA where one superstar is the team and everyone else defers to him.

12 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I really doubt that the teams wouldn't have done what they did this year if the trade hadn't been made.  The only difference is that the Habs fans would be foaming at the mouth trying to blame Subban for flaming out and the Preds fans would be pumping Weber up as some All Time Great.  Montreal fizzled because of reasons other than Weber and Nashville advanced because of a great team defense and getting enough timely scoring for the first time in their history.  This isn't the NBA where one superstar is the team and everyone else defers to him.

I have a very hard time believing that star players don't matter enough to influence outcomes. If just having a good team on paper and replacing one star with another doesnt mean anything, then Washington would have multiple cups right now and this doesnt even touch on the energy that one guy like that can bring to the room.

52 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Durant or Curry? 

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

This isn't the NBA where one superstar is the team and everyone else defers to him.

In the NBA a star player can be the difference between a team being good or being bad, in the NHL I agree they mean less, but I do believe that certain players can help a team get over the hump.