• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Darren Helm re-signed: 5 years, $3.85m AAV

Rate this topic

Ya, look at the log jam caused by re-signing Helm. This guy will be the downfall of this all because he MUST play in the top 9. He is no better than a 4th liner, but no, he is now going to bump more deserving 3rd liners out of the organization...

Ya, look at the log jam caused by re-signing Helm. This guy will be the downfall of this all because he MUST play in the top 9. He is no better than a 4th liner, but no, he is now going to bump more deserving 3rd liners out of the organization...

Krs-one covered most of my response, but also Helm never said this bolded no matter how many times you refer to it. He said he's fine with playing on the lower lines as long as there's "that respect factor." Whatever the hell that means, but he does seem to be fine on the 3rd and 4th.

Krs-one covered most of my response, but also Helm never said this bolded no matter how many times you refer to it. He said he's fine with playing on the lower lines as long as there's "that respect factor." Whatever the hell that means, but he does seem to be fine on the 3rd and 4th.

Yeah but would you play a guy making almost $4 million on 4th line? Just looks like bad management.

I'd prefer Helm on the 3rd line, but I don't see anything wrong with him being down on the 4th either. It's not like he's a one dimentional 4th liner that just eats minutes. He drives possession and is one of the best penalty killers in the entire league. That is where he makes his money, not necessarily 5on5.

Like I said from the beginning, $3.85M is 'slightly' high, but I have no more of a problem with that kind of money on our 4th line than I do with Ericsson and his $4.25M on the 3rd pair...

Well remember that Ericsson was on the first pair with Kronwall for almost 3 years. (And we all kept screaming WHY). Money plays a big role for the team imo. Which is exactly what concerns me about the roster overall right now.

Blash seems to be a bit different, doesn't seem like he cares *as much* about juggling the lines. He did demote Richards to 4th line at one point.

Edited by kickazz

Well remember that Ericsson was on the first pair with Kronwall for almost 3 years. (And we all kept screaming WHY). Money plays a big role for the team imo. Which is exactly what concerns me about the roster overall right now.

Blash seems to be a bit different, doesn't seem like he cares *as much* about juggling the lines. He did demote Richards to 4th line at one point.

I don't think it was money that kept E on the first line. Kronwall and E were an established pair by the time Blash came here. If it was that high salaries levitate you in the lineup then we would have seen K+Green.

Also, people have complained for years about Abby or Helm being in the top six and them being there (before their current contracts) shows that our coaches haven't been shy about putting lower contracts higher up.

Also, we've had big contracts like Weiss on the 4th and Jimmy sitting.

There were soooo many people here that wanted to sign Matt Martin, even when the reported asking price was upwards of $4M. Martin produces half the points as Helm, isn't used on either special teams, had much worse possession numbers, but he somehow would have been a better option over Helm?... Haha "the grass is always greener..."

It doesn't hurt to have a guy as fast as Helm who can be slotted into either the top six or play on a checking line and be effective. He just can't be relied upon to be a scoring winger. So, I really don't think he's the problem with this team. He was one of our best players in 2008 and 2009 because he had a great team around him so he could play his role. Also, apparently he could have gotten more money elsewhere so it's not like the Wings actually "overpaid" to keep him.

Yeah, we never should have signed that bum Helm, he's not good at hockey... Now Martin, that's who we should have signed, guy's a stud... Grass is always greener...

i would def be ok with a line of AA Larkin and Helm could you imagine that speed alone? i dont think any line could touch them

There were soooo many people here that wanted to sign Matt Martin, even when the reported asking price was upwards of $4M. Martin produces half the points as Helm, isn't used on either special teams, had much worse possession numbers, but he somehow would have been a better option over Helm?... Haha "the grass is always greener..."

Its funny, WIngs fans are crying about us not getting Martin, Leafs fans are crying about getting Martin. A GM just can't win with everyone.

I'm facing my own job review this week and I find myself thinking, "Gee this would be so easy if Holland was my boss!" Big raise and long term security for mediocre results.

Fortunately my boss and I have higher standards.

Unfortunately the Wings standards of individual performance are going to pile up and hurt our future. If only the playoff streak had been broken last year, where would we be now...

Edited by lwing

I'm facing my own job review this week and I find myself thinking, "Gee this would be so easy if Holland was my boss!" Big raise and long term security for mediocre results.

Fortunately my boss and I have higher standards.

Unfortunately the Wings standards of individual performance are going to pile up and hurt our future. If only the playoff streak had been broken last year, where would we be now...

Be on the same treadmill especially if we had missed by a whisker.