• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

Frans Nielson signs 6 year $5.25m AAV contract with Detroit

Rate this topic

Yeah, I feel the same way. We need help at center and Nielsen gives us an all-purpose veteran 2C who can play brutal minutes against top players and come out looking good. Six years is a long time, though. But if that's what it took to land him, well, then that's what it took to land him. (I believe the Isles actually offered him a slightly better deal.)

I think everyone would be cooler with the deal if Helm were out of the picture. Helm's extension complicates things.

yea I agree I just think its the helm and miller signing that has got me sour.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

6 years for a 32 yr old isn't bad to you? :eh:

Better than a 4 year deal for a 36 year old. Shorter term would have been great but outside of a top D finding a center is this teams biggest need. Him and Backes were the best options out there and they both got pretty much the same deal. He had to take on length to get the player. If you think your going to get deals on even decent players in Free Agency nowadays you are wrong. Every deal is going to be overpayment.

Retarded. He is 32 already

Better than laad and backes contract though

Would've like okposo or eriksson someone who can score goals....

Think everyone is overpaid. 6 mil now gets you 40-50 point guys now?

Eriksson and okposo didn't want to come here. Is there anyway to sticky this so people understand Holland just can't sign anyone, there is 29 other teams.

6 million apparently gets you a 40-50 point 2 way center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eriksson and okposo didn't want to come here. Is there anyway to sticky this so people understand Holland just can't sign anyone, there is 29 other teams.

We need to figure out why they don't want to come here (we have no cup potential) and fix that problem.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

It's a dumb deal and there is nothing anyone can say (spin) to convince me otherwise. I would have been happier (and the team better off in the long run) with one of the kids playing, I could care less about the streak and subsequent 1st round exit.

Player A and B didn't want to come here? Fine, tell us that. I can buy that; Holland is not exactly the most charismatic or convincing person in the NHL. I'm not even sure I would sign with Detroit at this point, unless of course Holland gave me 8 years - I mean, I'm only in my late 30's.

Just go and sign Matt Martin now so I have a reason to watch the games other than Larkin.

I don't like this pickup because of the long term, just like almost everyone in here. He will simply be too old unless he is a very special person. Can he deliver for 5-6 years? It depends, and it gets complicated:

What's his injury history? What kind of personality does he have -> How does he handle big setbacks/injuries? Does he have an intense, almost maniacal drive to always improve (think Michael Jordan)? Does he have a strict diet, making sure that he always maintains an elite low bodyfat %? Does he regularly workout, Heavy?

These are some of the factors that will determine if he can deliver the full length of his tenure. A good backoffice would inquire about these things before signing him at this age. I am doubtful our staff did.

It was clear that we had no chance of signing him,...but meanwhile...

Eric Staal to the wild for 3 years at 3.5

I'd have loved that.

Staal would get eaten alive by Wings fans. He's old, losing his legs and fans in NY hated him. He's a classic Holland signing that has blown up in our faces year in and year out.

We need to figure out why they don't want to come here (we have no cup potential) and fix that problem.

Nielsen took less money and term to come here. Apparently some players still like us.

Backes 5 years in Boston would have been a lot happier with him guy brings entertainment according to the isles fans Nielson is a 2 way center, good on the PK, undersized and not physical.

Nothing against him happy the guy gets paid but at this stage it was the wrong decision. Meanwhile Toronto is waiting and doing nothing which is smart.

Also sticky THE OWNER AND MANAGEMENT WANT THE STREAK TO CONTINUE.

It's a dumb deal and there is nothing anyone can say (spin) to convince me otherwise. I would have been happier (and the team better off in the long run) with one of the kids playing, I could care less about the streak and subsequent 1st round exit.

Player A and B didn't want to come here? Fine, tell us that. I can buy that; Holland is not exactly the most charismatic or convincing person in the NHL. I'm not even sure I would sign with Detroit at this point, unless of course Holland gave me 8 years - I mean, I'm only in my late 30's.

Just go and sign Matt Martin now so I have a reason to watch the games other than Larkin.

No one needs to explain anything. You just need to suck it up and deal with it as a fan. No one cares whether you watch the team or not. You will be back guaranteed.

Staal would get eaten alive by Wings fans. He's old, losing his legs and fans in NY hated him. He's a classic Holland signing that has blown up in our faces year in and year out.

Nielsen took less money and term to come here. Apparently some players still like us.

He's old??? 31 is now considered old? Just stop.

Joe Thornton - 36 years old, 4th in points this past season

Joe Pavelski - 31 years old, 6th in points

Alex Ovechkin - 30 years old

Patrice Bergeron - 30 years old

Jaromir Jagr - 44 years old

Ryan Getzlaf - 31 years old

Loui Eriksson - 30 years old

Jason Spezza - 33 years old

David Krejci - 30 years old

Corey Perry - 31 years old

Jeff Carter - 31 years old

Daniel Sedin - 35 years old

The facts are not on your side, friend. Unlike the players mentioned above, Staal has had to play with a bunch of kids for a while, oh and Semin. I would be willing to bet he bounces back on a new team with solid wingers. He wasn't with NYR long enough to click with anyone.

He's old??? 31 is now considered old? Just stop.

Joe Thornton - 36 years old, 4th in points this past season

Joe Pavelski - 31 years old, 6th in points

Alex Ovechkin - 30 years old

Patrice Bergeron - 30 years old

Jaromir Jagr - 44 years old

Ryan Getzlaf - 31 years old

Loui Eriksson - 30 years old

Jason Spezza - 33 years old

David Krejci - 30 years old

Corey Perry - 31 years old

Jeff Carter - 31 years old

Daniel Sedin - 35 years old

The facts are not on your side, friend. Unlike the players mentioned above, Staal has had to play with a bunch of kids for a while, oh and Semin. I would be willing to bet he bounces back on a new team with solid wingers. He wasn't with NYR long enough to click with anyone.

All of the players you listed can still produce points. At 31 Staal plays like he's 40. How do you not see an issue with that? A 31 year old should NOT decline like Staal has. That's extremely concerning and an immediate red flag. He's been playing with the same crappy Carolina team for the last few years and was producing just fine 3 years ago. Why is it that his production declined NOW rather than years ago when they still sucking?

Edited by kickazz

People cry and cry here that Holland never signs players...he signs a decent hockey player for a contract that isn't terrible on a day that is famous for the worse deals. People still whine...whats he supposed to do?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Ken talks about wanting to get a bit bigger, maybe get more offense. We get a soft pass first player, I knew on Wednesday when Stamkos re-signed in Tampa that this would be the likely outcome so I don't really care that much.

This is just insane. Holland seems to get worse every single year.

Can anyone remember a decent free agent signing within the last 6 years? I can only think of Hossa.

Oh and he just LOVES locking people past their prime to massive contracts and then being screwed when they can no longer play at an elite level. 6 year contract for a 32 year old? Are you kidding me?

Can anyone remember a decent free agent signing within the last 6 years? I can only think of Hossa.

Oh and he just LOVES locking people past their prime to massive contracts and then being screwed when they can no longer play at an elite level. 6 year contract for a 32 year old? Are you kidding me?

Danny Dekeyser

People cry and cry here that Holland never signs players...he signs a decent hockey player for a contract that isn't terrible on a day that is famous for the worse deals. People still whine...whats he supposed to do?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Holland signed a decent player today for contract that isn't terrible?? Who? Did I miss something?

Though I am not huge on the term it seems it was probably the only way it was getting done was by overpayment in hit or term. I would have rather seen they overpay the cap hit for like 2 or 3 years but people would still not have liked that either.

Though I too question KH logic and am not overly optimistic about our front office I do think nielson will be a good player for us for like 3 years and that people will like him. Just like others have noted I wish he wasn't 32 and signed for 6 years but nonetheless he will help us in many different facets short term. Watch some highlights I think you'll feel a little better about him at least for a few seasons.

What this team lacks is scoring, and so we go out and get a 2-way center who puts up 50 something points in a good year. Granted, last year, he would have led the Wings in scoring (I think), but what we need is s scoring winger to go with him. It feels like, "ok, need a center, who's out there at center, ok, throw some money at him, hey, he signed, i'm done, let's go golf!" like he's dropping a bid on an Ebay auction.

What I think everyone wants out of Kenny is CREATIVITY. To BE the smartest guy in the room like he pretends to be. To take other GM's candy. Granted, he traded the contract of Datsyuk, great, but it doesn't make us better. And it sure won't motivate me to scratch a check for season tickets.

Islanders offered 7 years $5.5 million

What this team lacks is scoring, and so we go out and get a 2-way center who puts up 50 something points in a good year. Granted, last year, he would have led the Wings in scoring (I think), but what we need is s scoring winger to go with him. It feels like, "ok, need a center, who's out there at center, ok, throw some money at him, hey, he signed, i'm done, let's go golf!" like he's dropping a bid on an Ebay auction.

What I think everyone wants out of Kenny is CREATIVITY. To BE the smartest guy in the room like he pretends to be. To take other GM's candy. Granted, he traded the contract of Datsyuk, great, but it doesn't make us better. And it sure won't motivate me to scratch a check for season tickets.

Signing the best available center that was willing to come to Detroit and as you said would have led our team in points doesn't make us better? Yup the math adds up. Ken Holland sucks.