• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

Frans Nielson signs 6 year $5.25m AAV contract with Detroit

Rate this topic

People cry and cry here that Holland never signs players...he signs a decent hockey player for a contract that isn't terrible on a day that is famous for the worse deals. People still whine...whats he supposed to do?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Not re-sign Darren Helm and Drew Miller, wasting cap space that potentially could go toward a better player who can maybe crack 15 goals in a season.

Not re-sign Darren Helm and Drew Miller, wasting cap space that potentially could go toward a better player who can maybe crack 15 goals in a season.

What player at what price?

Islanders offered 7 years $5.5 million

Signing the best available center that was willing to come to Detroit and as you said would have led our team in points doesn't make us better? Yup the math adds up. Ken Holland sucks.

he does suck..signing helm and miller makes him suck x10

What player at what price?

Vanek at 3.5-4 million on a 1 year, Brouwer at 4.5 for 4 years, McGinn at 3.5 for 4 years... or if those players truly didn't have any interest in the Wings, let Athansiou play real minutes on the third line. Helm's deal screws the young guys, unless he plays 2C, and that would be him sorely over-valued.

Vanek at 3.5-4 million on a 1 year, Brouwer at 4.5 for 4 years, McGinn at 3.5 for 4 years... or if those players truly didn't have any interest in the Wings, let Athansiou play real minutes on the third line. Helm's deal screws the young guys, unless he plays 2C, and that would be him sorely over-valued.

You can't explain these types of things to Holland apologists. There is like 3 people on here that think what holland did today was a good thing. Even the folks from past off-seasons who were fine with him are questioning Holland and thats including me now.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

You can't explain these types of things to Holland apologists. There is like 3 people on here that think what holland did today was a good thing. Even the folks from past off-seasons are questioning Holland and thats including me now.

On one hand, I get the apologists... I used to be one of them. It's true that some players just don't want to come here, but who's fault is that really? It's the GM's responsibility to put the best team on the ice and draft/develop the future. He showed it with Lidstrom/Rafalski and he's showing it again now with Datsyuk/Zetterberg. He doesn't know how to prepare for when our all-stars are getting ready to head out. He'd rather wait until they are at the end or already leaving and then try to hustle to grab the best that's out there. Great. We got a 2nd line center, and I like Nielsen. I think he'll do fine here so long as his wingers can produce as well. That doesn't change the fact that we're sitting here without a first line center. Zetterberg can't play that role anymore and Larkin may have to be thrown into it before he's truly ready for it. Do you want to know why we can't attract solid wingers to this team? They look and don't see any strong Centers to feed them the biscuit, so, of course, they're going to go to other teams. But again, that is Holland's fault. Maybe not this off-season, but over the past 6 years he has failed to ready this team appropriately to move forward in a strong fashion.

You can't explain these types of things to Holland apologists. There is like 3 people on here that think what holland did today was a good thing. Even the folks from past off-seasons who were fine with him are questioning Holland and thats including me now.

You always question Holland lol. Stop kidding yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On one hand, I get the apologists... I used to be one of them. It's true that some players just don't want to come here, but who's fault is that really? It's the GM's responsibility to put the best team on the ice and draft/develop the future. He showed it with Lidstrom/Rafalski and he's showing it again now with Datsyuk/Zetterberg. He doesn't know how to prepare for when our all-stars are getting ready to head out. He'd rather wait until they are at the end or already leaving and then try to hustle to grab the best that's out there. Great. We got a 2nd line center, and I like Nielsen. I think he'll do fine here so long as his wingers can produce as well. That doesn't change the fact that we're sitting here without a first line center. Zetterberg can't play that role anymore and Larkin may have to be thrown into it before he's truly ready for it. Do you want to know why we can't attract solid wingers to this team? They look and don't see any strong Centers to feed them the biscuit, so, of course, they're going to go to other teams. But again, that is Holland's fault. Maybe not this off-season, but over the past 6 years he has failed to ready this team appropriately to move forward in a strong fashion.

Given the system that is in place (salary cap, draft order) it is incredibly difficult to build a team to a contender without a long and painful rebuild, which is also no guarantee of success (see all teams that aren't the Hawks and Pens haha).

I could be open to a full blown rebuild but I understand why they don't, it's just the nature of sports. I think there are likely better GMs out there, but it seems unlikely that anyone could have put the wings in anything but a marginally better position than they are now.

just under 7.5 million. So 3.5 for DK and 3.5 for Mrazek. Holland is going to have to make some moves.

That's right. Means we are not done. Might take a while though.

just under 7.5 million. So 3.5 for DK and 3.5 for Mrazek. Holland is going to have to make some moves.

but we can spend around 5 million over the cap with Franzen and Vitale on LTIR.. So technically 7.5 but we still have around 12.5 to spend

we are worse than we were last year unless neilson becomes a ******* super star

i forgot we will have franzen and vitale on LTIR so we have like 12 mil left in cap space.

need to make a trade

shattenkirk, fowler, brodin someone young and good

Given the system that is in place (salary cap, draft order) it is incredibly difficult to build a team to a contender without a long and painful rebuild, which is also no guarantee of success (see all teams that aren't the Hawks and Pens haha).

I could be open to a full blown rebuild but I understand why they don't, it's just the nature of sports. I think there are likely better GMs out there, but it seems unlikely that anyone could have put the wings in anything but a marginally better position than they are now.

The thing is simple:

If the Wings started a real rebuild after Lidstrom retired, there would have been more top picks and therefore a better chance of getting some star out of it. Would they be ready to content by now? For sure not but the future wouldn't look as bleak Yes, a rebuild is painful but it can also be very exciting just look at Buffalo, Edmonton and soon even Toronto McJesus, Eichel and Matthews jerseys are going to fly of the shelves and people actually WANT to be part of their future (see Okposo and Looch).

It was also the same last week, when some people like me questioned how realistic Stamkos would really be and if trading Chychrun for Cholowski would be worth it.

This isn't even something personal against Holland the reality is what it is, this team is not seen as the go to place anymore and it's the job of a GM to make that happen. Either via UFA, trade or draft picks.

Nielson is not a number 1 center so how does that help the Wings? I hope nobody has the idea of throwing Larkin to the wolves in the upcoming season because he is not ready for such a role.

The thing is simple:

If the Wings started a real rebuild after Lidstrom retired, there would have been more top picks and therefore a better chance of getting some star out of it. Would they be ready to content by now? For sure not but the future wouldn't look as bleak Yes, a rebuild is painful but it can also be very exciting just look at Buffalo, Edmonton and soon even Toronto McJesus, Eichel and Matthews jerseys are going to fly of the shelves and people actually WANT to be part of their future (see Okposo and Looch).

It was also the same last week, when some people like me questioned how realistic Stamkos would really be and if trading Chychrun for Cholowski would be worth it.

This isn't even something personal against Holland the reality is what it is, this team is not seen as the go to place anymore and it's the job of a GM to make that happen. Either via UFA, trade or draft picks.

Nielson is not a number 1 center so how does that help the Wings? I hope nobody has the idea of throwing Larkin to the wolves in the upcoming season because he is not ready for such a role.

Well it's pretty simple, we currently do not have any player that can be regarded as a number 1 center. We are just going to have to do with what we have. Management will most likely slot players in their positions during training camp. Needless to say we will be overmatched at 1C against the top teams almost every NHL team regardless who gets the job.

Edited by Jacksoni

Think he just did better on Vanek than you thought was a good idea. Holland is such an idiot!

He's old??? 31 is now considered old? Just stop.

Joe Thornton - 36 years old, 4th in points this past season

Joe Pavelski - 31 years old, 6th in points

Alex Ovechkin - 30 years old

Patrice Bergeron - 30 years old

Jaromir Jagr - 44 years old

Ryan Getzlaf - 31 years old

Loui Eriksson - 30 years old

Jason Spezza - 33 years old

David Krejci - 30 years old

Corey Perry - 31 years old

Jeff Carter - 31 years old

Daniel Sedin - 35 years old

The facts are not on your side, friend. Unlike the players mentioned above, Staal has had to play with a bunch of kids for a while, oh and Semin. I would be willing to bet he bounces back on a new team with solid wingers. He wasn't with NYR long enough to click with anyone.

Staal plays old, I should say. He's done. Some guys drop off.

Staal plays old, I should say. He's done. Some guys drop off.

I'm honestly very surprised by his decline, he is not that old in terms of hockey age maybe he's had a serious injury and just a tough time bouncing back.But man going from an almost 9 mill paycheck to "only" 3.5 is a clear sign.

Isles fans tell me he's a 50 point 2 way C who plays #1 pp and pk, while drawing the toughest defensive assignments. He's also one of the best at the shootout. Wish he was 2 years younger.

I've heard he's one of the most underrated players in hockey a couple times. If all of the above is true, getting him for $5m a season is fantastic.