• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Steve Ott signs 1 year, $800k deal with Detroit

Rate this topic

His grit means nothing, tbh. We're the only hockey franchise that can win 4 titles in a decade being last in the league in fights and PM's and still think tough guys have any place in the NHL.

^This guy??? Did a tough guy pee in his kool-aid?

But if I'm being honest, I don't like this signing, mostly because I don't like Ott - In fact, I hate him. He's one notch above Matt Cooke (who's one notch above shocky2002 now) in my book. This guy went out and tried to injure, not hit hard or make a hockey play, but injure players every time Detroit played Dallas. On top of that, he can't fight to save his life and can't produce points anymore. His effective years are behind him. We needed to get tougher, add a little grit, but I don't think this was the way to go. Bertuzzi or Callahan, or even this Dylan Sadowy kid, would probably be more effective than Ott imo. But I'm not so sure Ott's not going to be buried in GR and this isn't Ken Holland saying, "see, I wasn't lying, we got tougher". But if he plays and can be a disruptive force and actually hit opposing teams defensemen (there's a novel concept!), I can't complain.

But getting back to shocky2002, is this guy for real? Is he trolling or what? Did he honestly say McCarty was a worthless hockey player? "Like every other tough guy"? This guys opinion is less than nothing to me from now on.

I won't GTFO for being right. McCarty is human trash. He f***ed some high school girls while he was married IIRC. Worthless hockey player as well, just like every other tough guy.

Good read about McCarty here: http://detroitsportsrag.net/hey-darren-mccarty-keep-sergeis-name-out-of-your-filthy-mouth/#more-5642

Sounds like he f**+ed your girlfriend. That's not something to be mad about. Wear it like a badge of honor...

I agree that a tough guy doesn't help us win. What we need are tough hockey players. Like an Abdelkader with a bit more talent. We need guys who can hit and clear space more than guys who will fight.

I won't GTFO for being right. McCarty is human trash. He f***ed some high school girls while he was married IIRC. Worthless hockey player as well, just like every other tough guy.

Good read about McCarty here: http://detroitsportsrag.net/hey-darren-mccarty-keep-sergeis-name-out-of-your-filthy-mouth/#more-5642

Boy are you a bitter person.

I agree that a tough guy doesn't help us win. What we need are tough hockey players. Like an Abdelkader with a bit more talent. We need guys who can hit and clear space more than guys who will fight.

He's an agitator not really a fighter anyway. Love the agitators.

This is true. Fighting is a bonus, but the hockey fight is a dying art form soon to be extinct, unfortunately. Now you need guys who can pound and be disruptive, but who have some semblance of hockey skill, which Probert, Kocur and McCarty all did have.
The playoffs are a battle of attrition, so having guys like Drake, like Maltby, like Abdelkader can only help. Lucic without a doubt would have helped. I think Tyler Bertuzzi, while not as physical or as skilled as his uncle (Vancouver days), could also be that guy for us. Givani Smith down the road. Matt Martin on the 4th line would have been fun to watch; the guys hits anything moves.
As I said, Ott does very little for me and is not really an effective player anymore. Dallas Steve Ott, while an absolute a-hole, might have fit the bill better.
All in all, none of yesterday's signings made us particularly harder to play against. But what's done is done.
Though, if you want the headache, there is this guy... http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/6/30/12068068/nhl-free-agency-rumors-buffalo-sabres-considering-trading-evander-kane But I think I know where most fans stand on that.
Me? f*** it, I'd take him, but only if he promised to be a good boy.

Some people really underestimate Ott, he isn't just a guy who hits and fights he's also been in the league since a long time he knows what it takes to grind through pain and work even harder with "lesser" talent (although he still made it to the NHL so great talent) something young players can learn from.

I would have been happy with Chris Neil but Ott is a great option, for me the best signing yesterday. Cheap and a guy who does it all.

I'm just someone who hates players that can't do anything but fight.

You must've been watching someone other than McCarty then.

But...but...but... I thought only the "all-stars" were responsible for winning?

I sense that shocky will never truly understand just how wrong he is on this subject.

He also would've hated watching Probert and Kocur in the good ol' days, sheesh.

People need to remember, we need to put 3 guys in the press box each night to essentially be backups to out lineup. With no more Andersson and some trades likely coming this opens up some spots. This is where I believe Ott and Miller will be on opening night baring any injuries.

No, McCarty's book is a good read (really good actually). Anything I've ever had the unfortunate chance of being click baited to by "detroitsportsrag" has been nothing more than click bait trash.

But...but...but... I thought only the "all-stars" were responsible for winning?

I sense that shocky will never truly understand just how wrong he is on this subject.

I'm not wrong. Hits, Penalty Minutes, Fights have 0 correlation with winning. McCarty having a lucky playoff game that one time is pretty insignificant in the long run when he's a net negative for his entire career.

Edited by shocky2002

I mean, if you love DMac, fine. At least he played in an era in which every team would regularly skate s***ty players that can only fight. At least he was probably better than most of his counterparts. But in today's damn NHL you have STEVE OTT playing on opening night? GTFOOH.

I'm not wrong. Hits, Penalty Minutes, Fights have 0 correlation with winning. McCarty having a lucky playoff game that one time is pretty insignificant in the long run when he's a net negative for his entire career.

I love a good fight—not the staged ones but the retribution fight where when one of our guys gets hurt by the opposition and then one of our guys steps up. Besides I’ve never seen hardly anyone sit and be bored when one broke out.

I mean, if you love DMac, fine. At least he played in an era in which every team would regularly skate s***ty players that can only fight. At least he was probably better than most of his counterparts. But in today's damn NHL you have STEVE OTT playing on opening night? GTFOOH.

How do you even know he's even going to be playing opening night. He can play by the way not just fight besides he's more of an agitator.

Yeah the best signing of yesterday should GTFOOH cause shockey2002 said so lol

Yeah the best signing of yesterday should GTFOOH cause shockey2002 said so lol

Marchenko won't play on opening night imo

I love a good fight—not the staged ones but the retribution fight where when one of our guys gets hurt by the opposition and then one of our guys steps up. Besides I’ve never seen hardly anyone sit and be bored when one broke out.

How do you even know he's even going to be playing opening night. He can play by the way not just fight besides he's more of an agitator.

He's playing on opening night. There's no way Mantha/Pulk would be on the major league roster until November. It's Ken Holland running things after all

Edited by shocky2002