• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shocky2002

Who do you have as the top 5 Wings of all time..

Rate this topic

In ranking based on " holy s*** I've never seen a guy do that before " Dats would be #1 for me. In the 80's Datsyuk would've been absolutely scary. I digress. I'm going to base mine on guys i've seen play ( Im 37) :

1. Lidstrom

2. Yzerman

3. Fedorov

4. Datsyuk

5. Shanny

In ranking based on " holy s*** I've never seen a guy do that before " Dats would be #1 for me. In the 80's Datsyuk would've been absolutely scary. I digress. I'm going to base mine on guys i've seen play ( Im 37) :

1. Lidstrom

2. Yzerman

3. Fedorov

4. Datsyuk

5. Shanny

Yeah that's pretty much how I made my list also.

Best Red Wing, or best player who ever played for the Wings? Because any or all of Fetisov, Larionov, Hull, Robitaille, and Chelios are among the best players ever at their positions. Just maybe not when they played for the Wings.

Best Red Wing, or best player who ever played for the Wings? Because any or all of Fetisov, Larionov, Hull, Robitaille, and Chelios are among the best players ever at their positions. Just maybe not when they played for the Wings.

I think best Red Wing. So players who played a significant amount of time here. How would your overall list look?

Edited by kickazz

If we're talking about pure physical talent, then I have Fedorov number one. Maybe of any player in NHL history. After him, I'd have to pick Howe, followed by Red Kelly. 4th and 5th would probably be Yzerman and Datsyuk.

I'm surprised Lidstrom doesn't make your list.

I'm surprised Lidstrom doesn't make your list.

Why? Lidstrom had limited physical talent. He wasn't a strong skater and didn't have the hardest shot or fastest hands. Was very light for his height. His greatness is cerebral.

Why? Lidstrom had limited physical talent. He wasn't a strong skater and didn't have the hardest shot or fastest hands. Was very light for his height. His greatness is cerebral.

A lot of those could be said about Yzerman though. At least when comparing to Fedorov. Although I'm not sure who had a harder shot between the two but Yzerman was pretty small, not really a flashy playerw with his hands like Fedorov or Datsyuk. Definitely not one of the faster skaters either.

Edited by kickazz

GMR you're right about Lidström and his cerebral play of course. Lidström was strong for his size, but otherwise not physically imposing. His advantage was his genius cunning and anticipation.

Which makes me wonder, when will we see someone like that again? Who has the ability? We saw flashes of it in this years playoffs from Pietrangelo of the ST Louis Blues, he is very skilled but hardly a Lidström.

Edited by Jacksoni

At the end of the day though, isn't results what matter? I would take a guy with physical limitations that is the best player year after year, then a guy who has elite skill, but doesn't execute to the same level of a Lidstrom? Otherwise you could argue Kovalev is one of the greatest of all time.

At the end of the day though, isn't results what matter? I would take a guy with physical limitations that is the best player year after year, then a guy who has elite skill, but doesn't execute to the same level of a Lidstrom? Otherwise you could argue Kovalev is one of the greatest of all time.

Agreed, but I thought the OP was asking about physical talent only.

Yeah I guess if we're talking physical "on ice" talent then for sure Datsyuk, Fedorov are top and Lidstrom would fall off my list too.

Physical on ice talent doesn't equate to best player though. I regard Datsyuk as having more talent and being more skilled than Sidney Crosby but I think Crosby is a better individual hockey player overall.

Based on this I guess my list would probably be.

1. Howe

2. Fedorov

3. Datsyuk

4. Yzerman

5. Zetterberg

I still have Howe on my list. Being ambidextrous is an automatic top physical talent that no one on that list ever had. I bring in Zetterberg on the list (and remove Shanny) because he was similar to Fedorov in that he could play from any corner on ice whether center or left wing or right wing, quarterback the PP. An excellent slapshot although not the hardest. He also had a wicked backhand. And I don't need to explain why Datsyuk makes the list :)

Edited by kickazz