• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shocky2002

Who do you have as the top 5 Wings of all time..

Rate this topic

Datsyuk is close but come on... Feds is better yeah he left but the numbers don't lie and neither do the highlights.

Howe

Lidstrom

Yzerman

Sawchuck

Federov

HM Datsyuk

He could make plays too wasn't just a goal scorer and I'd say when you balance the pros & cons there two way game is pretty even Idc about Feds playing defense Pav could play D on an all star team and with his stick it be Lidstrom like how he'd steal pucks and get em up ice

I'm on the Howe, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Sawchuk, Datsyuk or Fedorov bandwagon. The Fedorov/Datsyuk debate is a good one. Pav was a lifetime wing who didn't have nearly the supporting cast Sergei did most of his career. Fedorov was dominant, and darned close to being the total package (in a better than Lex Luger way) but his post Wings numbers took a steep dive if I recall correctly. Both were great. The cap/non-cap rosters make a difference as well. I wonder what the analytics would say comparing the two in their primes (yes, I realize that the analytics weren't around in anything close to their present form during Fed's tenure, but it would be a very interesting comparison nonetheless).

HM for Red Kelly, Sid Abel, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Linsday off the top of my head.

Overall Fedorov had better linemates long term but during their primes I'd say Datsyuk had better linemates.

Federov had Koslov and Larionov in his peak. Shanny came around a bit later.

Datsyuk basically had Zetterberg and Hull from the get go. Had Zetterberg all the way until he turned 30 before Babcock split them up

Overall Fedorov had better linemates long term but during their primes I'd say Datsyuk had better linemates.

Federov had Koslov and Larionov in his peak. Shanny came around a bit later.

Datsyuk basically had Zetterberg and Hull from the get go. Had Zetterberg all the way until he turned 30 before Babcock split them up

True as far as even strength lines, but with the depth of the whole team, was the top pair facing Fedorov or Yzerman? Also, the Russian 5 was deployed as a five man unit as opposed to a line of forwards and a defensive pairing, which was rather unique. What about the power play groupings? I'd love to see an analytical overview because it is such an interesting comparison of two truly great players.

My favorite Fedorov memory - I was at the Nassau Coliseum the game after Sergei scored five in one game. I was with some folks I'd met on the old Red Wings listserv Dave Vergolini ran out of MSU in the 90's. One of the guys was a Russian speaker and made a small sign in Russian that said "Sergei, five more please?" His girlfriend held it up was he was coming into the face off circle. He looks over, sees the sign, smiles and winks, then scores on that shift.

Edited by TheXym

My favorite Fedorov memory - I was at the Nassau Coliseum the game after Sergei scored five in one game. I was with some folks I'd met on the old Red Wings listserv Dave Vergolini ran out of MSU in the 90's. One of the guys was a Russian speaker and made a small sign in Russian that said "Sergei, five more please?" His girlfriend held it up was he was coming into the face off circle. He looks over, sees the sign, smiles and winks, then scores on that shift.

Wow what a story. That sounds exactly like something Fedorov would do. Good times.

Edited by kickazz

I don't think it's that close between them to be honest. I think Dats just has the "WoW" factor because of his dangles. Truly Fedorov was the best player in the league for a good 2-3 years.

Feds was a 50 goal scorer, had more than 10 game winning goals in so many seasons. He also had 31 short handed goals! (holy crap) And the fact that Bowman was able to put Fedorov on defense (where he did really well) truly shows how good he was as a two way player. Also I think there was a time when Fedorov was one of the best faceoff guys in the league as well.

Not to mention Fedorov was the fastest hockey player in the world for a long time. A lot of these factors are something Dats lacked imo.

I think if there's any player that I've witnessed as the most complete player, my vote would go to Fedorov. However I'd rank Yzerman before him simply because Stevie was a better playoff performer. Which at the end of the day.. is what matters most.

Steve only had 9 more playoff points than Fedorov, yet played in 32 more playoff games. Fedorov was and is the best playoff performer in Detroit Red Wings history. Yzerman is actually a career -11 in the playoff and Fedorov is a +38. Yzerman was great, but Fedorov was better.

Steve only had 9 more playoff points than Fedorov, yet played in 32 more playoff games. Fedorov was and is the best playoff performer in Detroit Red Wings history. Yzerman is actually a career -11 in the playoff and Fedorov is a +38. Yzerman was great, but Fedorov was better.

No. In the cup victories the Red Wings had, Yzerman was mostly the better player, especially in 98 and 2002 (while he was injured he was still able to produce more than Feds). All of our cup victories, Yzerman was always the guy who stepped up. Sure Fedorov did better on the years we didn't win but it really didn't translate to anything when we got knocked out.

Edited by kickazz

Not to be a stickler, but 1997 Fedorov led the team in playoff scoring, 98 he was 2nd 4 points behind Steve (He lead the team in goals with 10) and 02, 2nd again 4 points behind Steve.

Steve was a better leader than Sergei, but production-wise, Fedorov was the better player. Regular season and playoffs.

But they both make my top 5 all time anyway!

Edited by LeftWinger

Not to be a stickler, but 1997 Fedorov led the team in playoff scoring, 98 he was 2nd 4 points behind Steve (He lead the team in goals with 10) and 02, 2nd again 4 points behind Steve.

Steve was a better leader than Sergei, but production-wise, Fedorov was the better player. Regular season and playoffs.

But they both make my top 5 all time anyway!

My point is that although Fedorov was better producer in the 90s, Yzerman was more valuable to the team because when he did well, the team overall did well. When he couldn't produce, we wouldn't make it far. 2 out of the 3 times when he tore it up in the playoffs, we ended up winning the cup. I think he was more valuable when it came down to the final push. That's also why, I believe Stevie is a the captain of all captains. And yes, Fedorov did better in the 97 playoffs.

Take off the Miller fan boy glasses being the best pker and shot blocker in the history of the NHL only gets you into the top 5.

oh come on! The only reason why you rank him only fifth is because he didn't get the chance to play in Howe's era. Had he, we'd have another Hockey legend in our ranks and number 20 would be right up in the rafters.

ROPQx1d.jpg

Edited by NerveDamage

oh come on! The only reason why you rank him only fifth is because he didn't get the chance to play in Howe's era. Had he, we'd have another Hockey legend in our ranks and number 20 would be right up in the rafters.

ROPQx1d.jpg

The boys back then sure knew how to play real hockey. Not this crap they do today.