• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Should any of #91, #13, #40, #30 be retired? Poll/Discussion

Rate this topic

Should any of #91, #13, #40, #30 be retired?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wings win in 02 with or without Lidstrom. He was great, but nobody was beating that HOOF team. I think in 08, he wasn't as big a factor either. He was great, but that team was a puck possession magic show. He was a big part of it, for sure, but if he wasn't there, they may have still won.

There is no way you can say that with even close to 100% certainty.

In 2002, round 1, you take away Lidstrom's half ice goal against Cloutier, we possibly dont get out of the first round.

Round 3 against Colorado down 3-2, take away our #1 Norris caliber d-man, and there is a very good chance we don't pull it off and shut them out in game 6.

Not to mention, the guy won the Conn Smythe. Take away the Conn Smyth winner from any Stanley Cup winning team, and the argument can be made that they wouldn't have won.

IMO Osgood should be next. His numbers speak for themselves.

Only reason he wasn't a career Red Wing, which many people give as the reason against retiring his number,is because they had the chance to get Hasek, who they would have been stupid not to get, and there wasn't room for him. He was picked up by NYI and had great numbers there and was a main reason they made the playoffs for the first time in years. When Hasek "retired" they went after Joseph. When Joseph's contract was up and Osgood was a UFA, he was resigned and won another cup(nearly two). After Osgood it should be Fedorov before Dats and Z are even considered.

What about 96?

HA! I love Holmstrom. He was my favorite player for a long stretch and a part of FOUR Stanley Cup teams.

However, he's no superstar. He's not universally heralded nor acclaimed.

Holmstrom is one of those dudes that gets stuff done. He might not be the flashiest, or have all the deke's, ice time, or goals to show for it.

He's a breed of folks that won't have numbers retired, but will be in the hearts of folks for a long time. When I think of his type of player, I think of the heavy lifters like Draper, McCarty, and Murphy (pre-new glasses).

No, there's no way in hell Holmstrom's number should be retired.

Great description of Homer and the others. You're spot on. I laughed at the Murphy's glasses reference.

What about a ring of honor in the new arena to recognize that second tier of significant Wings, kind of like what Montreal has? It would be a good way to recognize the Grind Line, Shanny, Holmstrom, Redmond, etc. without cheapening the jersey retirement.

As of today, none of them for me, thanks. Yzerman and Lidstrom stand alone among the "modern" players both in terms of importance to the sport in general and, of course, the Wings specifically. They're both firmly in the "legendary player" category, none of these others are. This has nothing to do with the HOF or pure stats for me, a retired jersey is a much higher honor since it's so much more rare, especially for the Wings.

I love Osgood, he's one of the legendary Red Wings in the sense that Maltby, Draper and McCarty are legendary. He absolutely got us that '08 Cup but I don't think we should retire his number. He was rarely that crucial lynchpin for the team through lots of years that Federov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were. Datsyuk is synonymous with the number 13 in my book. I used to believe that Zetterberg should go with Datsyuk, too, but his decline has been sharper than Datsyuk's, and while he did carry this team into the playoffs--in '13 was it?--he didn't carry this team as consistently as, say, Yzerman. I wouldn't be opposed to his number being retired eventually but I don't think we need to rush to do it. Maybe do an unofficial retirement like Aurie's number 6 for a while until his legacy really solidifies over time.

HA! I love Holmstrom. He was my favorite player for a long stretch and a part of FOUR Stanley Cup teams.

However, he's no superstar. He's not universally heralded nor acclaimed.

Holmstrom is one of those dudes that gets stuff done. He might not be the flashiest, or have all the deke's, ice time, or goals to show for it.

He's a breed of folks that won't have numbers retired, but will be in the hearts of folks for a long time. When I think of his type of player, I think of the heavy lifters like Draper, McCarty, and Murphy (pre-new glasses).

No, there's no way in hell Holmstrom's number should be retired.

I'd put him up there right after Fedorov, if he were to be chosen. A folk hero that paid for his services with blood and a permanently destroyed lower back. Pivotal in getting us the cups in my opinion, albeit not obviously so for some.

Fedorov - The best player among the 3 - and only 48 other players in NHL history have outscored him, statistically speaking it should be a lock. Unfortunately, stats aren't everything and don't tell the entire story... The only reason it hasn't happened is because ownership hasn't let it. Not sure how I feel here.

Datsyuk - May have handled his departure worse than anyone in the history our team. For that reason, no. Absolutley, no.

Zetterberg - He doesn't really deserve it but sure, who cares about the # 40?

Fedorov - The best player among the 3 - and only 48 other players in NHL history have outscored him, statistically speaking it should be a lock. Unfortunately, stats aren't everything and don't tell the entire story... The only reason it hasn't happened is because ownership hasn't let it. Not sure how I feel here.

Datsyuk - May have handled his departure worse than anyone in the history our team. For that reason, no. Absolutley, no.

Zetterberg - He doesn't really deserve it but sure, who cares about the # 40?

Isn't that overstating it a little?

I look for players that changed the game when I think about retiring their number. I think the only one that fits the mold is Fedorov. He was a big part of the Russian infusion into the NHL. He was a role model for probably every Russian player since he played his first game as a wing. I would feel comfortable retiring his number but as much as I like the other options, I would say no.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Wings win in 02 with or without Lidstrom. He was great, but nobody was beating that HOOF team. I think in 08, he wasn't as big a factor either. He was great, but that team was a puck possession magic show. He was a big part of it, for sure, but if he wasn't there, they may have still won.

Win without Lidstrom? Did you watch that playoff? We wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. We were down 0-2 to the Canucks and it was Lidstrom who scored from center ice on Cloutier to turn that game and series around. That was a pivotal point in that cup run.

http://octopusthrower.com/2014/01/15/henrik-zetterberg-pavel-datsyuk-olympic-captains/http://octopusthrower.com/2014/01/15/henrik-zetterberg-pavel-datsyuk-olympic-captains/

Everyone talks about how Datsyuk and especially Zetterberg aren't generational talent. But when Datsyuk is chosen over Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeny Malkin as the Team Russia Captain and when Zetterberg is chosen over Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin and Daniel Alfredsson to be Team Sweden's Olympic Captain - it makes me wonder what others in this world really think of these two. Probably more highly than some of us here :)

Edited by kickazz

And apparently Wayne Gretzky - aka "The Great One" saw Zetterberg in a different way than some of us as well. An article from about 3 years ago.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653805

“I think Zetterberg is the best player in the game (at his age),” Gretzky told NHL.com. “He’s been so physically beat up from the Stanley Cup playoffs, Olympics – all that goes with that – but he’s just very special.” Gretzky, the NHL’s all-time leading scorer, then took his admiration for Zetterberg to another level by saying, “I think he’s the best Swedish player they’ve ever put into the National Hockey League, and there has been a lot of great ones, from (Borje) Salming to (Nicklas) Lidstrom.”

Edited by kickazz

Datsyuk left in the middle of his contract. If you're using Sergei leaving to Anaheim as a free agent to go to Anaheim as a reason to not have his jersey retired, you should not be saying datsyuk will have his retired. He bolted to Russia without playing out his contract.

He didn't leave in the "middle" of the deal. It had one year left on a 3 year deal. And he was only leaving to be back with his family (in a different Country and league), at basically the tail end of his playing career.

Fedorov's departure isn't even comparable. He left us for another NHL team, left for less money than we offered him. And worst of all left for the Ducks who were one of our biggest rivals at the time (they had just swept us out of the playoffs the season before). And then had to play against us as the enemy 4 times a year. And on top of all that was still basically in his prime at the time. Much worse than Datsyuk's scenario. And that's likely why we'll never see #91 in the rafters.

He didn't leave in the "middle" of the deal. It had one year left on a 3 year deal. And he was only leaving to be back with his family (in a different Country and league), at basically the tail end of his playing career.

Fedorov's departure isn't even comparable. He left us for another NHL team, left for less money than we offered him. And worst of all left for the Ducks who were one of our biggest rivals at the time (they had just swept us out of the playoffs the season before). And then had to play against us as the enemy 4 times a year. And on top of all that was still basically in his prime at the time. Much worse than Datsyuk's scenario. And that's likely why we'll never see #91 in the rafters.

You're obviously bias towards Datsyuk. His situation is much MUCH worse on paper than Fedorov's whether you like to admit it or not. Fedorov didn't handicap us by wanting to leave in the middle of a contract. He left as a free agent because he's allowed to.

Datsyuk wanted to leave the Red Wings within the first year of his contract in 2014. It took a lot of convincing from Ken Holland and Mike and Marian Illitch to get him to play for 2 more years and at one point the Red Wings management basicaly threatened to sue Datsyuk in a lawsuit for trying to walk out on his contract. They basically cut a verbal deal that if he honored the contract for the 2015 season he was free to go.

I'm obviously "pro Retire #91, #13 and #40" But I'm not going to try to make excuses for Fedorov or Datsyuk. Nor am I going to try to make their situation worse than some others make it to be. The facts are facts guys. Datsyuk didn't honor the contract and Fedorov was a bit of a drama queen and bailed. The question is does management forgive them (it seems like they have) and if we as fans can move past it.

Edited by kickazz

You're obviously bias towards Datsyuk. His situation is much MUCH worse on paper than Fedorov's whether you like to admit it or not. Fedorov didn't handicap us by wanting to leave in the middle of a contract. He left as a free agent because he's allowed to.

Datsyuk wanted to leave the Red Wings within the first year of his contract in 2014. It took a lot of convincing from Ken Holland and Mike and Marian Illitch to get him to play for 2 more years and at one point the Red Wings management basicaly threatened to sue Datsyuk in a lawsuit for trying to walk out on his contract. They basically cut a verbal deal that if he honored the contract for the 2015 season he was free to go.

I'm obviously "pro Retire #91, #13 and #40" But I'm not going to try to make excuses for Fedorov or Datsyuk. Nor am I going to try to make their situation worse than some others make it to be. The facts are facts guys. Datsyuk didn't honor the contract and Fedorov was a bit of a drama queen and bailed. The question is does management forgive them (it seems like they have) and if we as fans can move past it.

Not bias towards Dats at all. Just stating my opinion on which departure was worse. In fact, I'd rather see #91 in the rafters than #13. People seem to forget (or are too young to remember) how dynamic and amazing Feds was. And how much of a huge part he was of all 3 of those Cups. And the fact that the Wings basically smuggled him out of what was communist USSR when he entered the league.

The report was that Datsyuk had no clue about that "over 35" rule with contracts when he signed the deal. And with his motivation being his family, and him being in his late 30s, I have no ill will towards him whatsoever. IMO Feds situation was much worse. My heart was broke the morning I woke up and read that he left us for one of our biggest rivals at the time. Where we then had to play against him. But to each his own on which scenario was more offensive to the fans. For me it's not even close. And that's coming from me who would love to see #91 up there. I'm just guessing that's why the Wings will never retire his number.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings