• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Should any of #91, #13, #40, #30 be retired? Poll/Discussion

Rate this topic

Should any of #91, #13, #40, #30 be retired?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

Too subjective, we need a measure stick in regards to what the hell goes in to putting a shirt on the top of a building.
Players like the Captain and Elbows don't need that. It get's a little more tight around Z, Dats and the Supreme Sergei Fedorov.

So can we get a measure stick? No. Red wings ownership won't release a methodology for this, it's more of a mystic worship. Reminds me of the Sony/Marvel universe in a way.

So no stick, no book, just plain old gut feeling. With that said put Z up. Datsyuk 'fled', Fedorov fled for sure.
Z's last two years I feel don't matter if he 'flees', it's a 1m cap hit per year. Something tells me he'd make arrangements to have that money returned somehow.

Just my two pre(quantum)-scientific 19th century silver coins.

No, its 1mil paid out, caphit is still closer to 6mil or whatever it is.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

No, its 1mil paid out, caphit is still closer to 6mil or whatever it is.

Yeah Z can’t retire or we’re f***ed lol. Unless he LTIRs. I mean Hossa did it, anyone can now. 

100% when Patrick Kane retires in 10 years it will be because he LTIRs due to an STD.

Edited by kickazz

17 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Chelios did pretty well with 24, though. And if your thinking the 8 as a hex - since his career was longer than any other NHL defenseman, I don't think it fits.

Yeah, but Salei wore #24 AFTER Chelios, and was the last dman to wear it. Plus, Chelios is Greek so I think garlic had something to do with it.

BTW, Salei, May, and Brunner all wore 24 after Chelios, I think its unlikely it gets retired.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah, but Salei wore #24 AFTER Chelios, and was the last dman to wear it. Plus, Chelios is Greek so I think garlic had something to do with it.

BTW, Salei, May, and Brunner all wore 24 after Chelios, I think its unlikely it gets retired.

No, I don't think anyone expects 24 retired. Was just responding to a supposed curse for Red Wings multiples of 8.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

No, I don't think anyone expects 24 retired. Was just responding to a supposed curse for Red Wings multiples of 8.

I agree, I don't believe in curses, I just thought it was ironic? coincidental?  eerie? Whatever word you wanna use. It stuck out to me I guess.

6 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Will 19 be retired in Chicago?

19 should be retired league wide in honor of the greatest captain to ever play the game.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Remember when being great meant you were consistently a 100+ point player? Now we're talking 65 points is great? Ugh.....im not looking it up, but has Toews eve hit 100?

First of all Towes isnt great. Second of all, thats just because its harder to score now. Put the goalies in he equipment they wore in the 80's and goal scoring would sky rocket.

i'd say no to these guys being in the rafters.  I  personally like it as "THE Elite of the ELITE" only up in the rafters.  The "NO DOUBTERS".  If you put these guys up in the rafters, then you set the slippery slope of opening the door/debate for some "equally deserving" players who were very good/great (e.g. Shanahan, others).  Then before you know it, we're attending a Brett Lebda jersey retirement ceremony.  Keep is at the Elite OF THE ELITE....The No Doubters.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

1 minute ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

i'd say no to these guys being in the rafters.  I  personally like it as "THE Elite of the ELITE" only up in the rafters.  The "NO DOUBTERS".  If you put these guys up in the rafters, then you set the slippery slope of opening the door/debate for some "equally deserving" players who were very good/great (e.g. Shanahan, others).  Then before you know it, we're attending a Brett Lebda jersey retirement ceremony.  Keep is at the Elite OF THE ELITE....The No Doubters.

Yup. If there's any doubt, it's a no go. Nobody once doubted Yzerman or Lidstrom going up.

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Remember when being great meant you were consistently a 100+ point player? Now we're talking 65 points is great? Ugh.....im not looking it up, but has Toews eve hit 100?

I get the point, but there are very few players that have consistently put up 100+ points.  There are only 18 players in the 100+ year history of the league that have scored 100 points 5 times or more.

I think Toews career high is 76....every other year below 70.

11 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Shanahan didn’t play with the Red Wings his entire career. Lidstrom and Yzerman have. I think you’re missing the point. It’s not about being just elite. It’s about being a true Red Wing while at the same time being a top player. 

Anyways when I made the thread I asked “should they be retired”. The question is already answered for one of them. Zetterberg IS being retired.

Edited by kickazz

54 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Shanahan didn’t play with the Red Wings his entire career. Lidstrom and Yzerman have. I think you’re missing the point. It’s not about being just elite. It’s about being a true Red Wing while at the same time being a top player. 

Anyways when I met the thread I asked “should they be retired”. The question is already answered for one of them. Zetterberg IS being retired.

Ummmmm...Sid Abel didn't play his entire career with the Wings?  Terry Sawchuk didn't play his entire career with the Wings?  Ted Lindsay didn't play his entire career with the Wings???  Lastly, to your "being a true Red Wing" Shanahan has stated that he will forever associate himself with being a Wing. 

Anyway, to go back and stay to my original point: 91, 13, 40, and 30 should not be in the rafters.  And neither should Shanny.

10 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Ummmmm...Sid Abel didn't play his entire career with the Wings?  Terry Sawchuk didn't play his entire career with the Wings?  Ted Lindsay didn't play his entire career with the Wings???  Lastly, to your "being a true Red Wing" Shanahan has stated that he will forever associate himself with being a Wing. 

Anyway, to go back and stay to my original point: 91, 13, 40, and 30 should not be in the rafters.  And neither should Shanny.

And that’s probably why Sid Abel and Sawchuck didn’t have their jerseys retired till much later on. Almost 30-40 years after they retired. Whereas Lidstrom and Yzerman had theirs retired RIGHT AWAY.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk have more accomplishments than Sid Abel and Ted Lindsay btw. So if Abel and Lindsay got their numbers retired than Z and D are shoe ins lol. 

Btw you keep saying “should not”. You do realize that Zetterberg’s jersey is getting retired right? Like, Holland said it is. Officially. Done deal.

The only question now is #91, #13, #30

Edited by kickazz

I think Zetterberg's jersey should be and will be retired, but I wouldn't say it's "official". Ken Holland may have said it will be some day, but Ken Holland may not even be with the organization as soon as next season. Holland's opinion (voice) obviously holds more weight than Blashill's, but Blashill could come out tomorrow and say the same thing, which wouldn't make it official either. Until it's announced officially by Chris Illitch, I'd say it's entirely possible that it doesn't get retired, or maybe not right away anyway. I don't think it will take 30-40 years, but it may not happen right away like it did the two previous captains.

If I were to guess, 40 does go up within a year or two after he officially retires though. As for the other three? No idea. I'd say, 13 - 75% chance, 91 - 50%, and 30 - 25%...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I think Zetterberg's jersey should be and will be retired, but I wouldn't say it's "official". Ken Holland may have said it will be some day, but Ken Holland may not even be with the organization as soon as next season. Holland's opinion (voice) obviously holds more weight than Blashill's, but Blashill could come out tomorrow and say the same thing, which wouldn't make it official either. Until it's announced officially by Chris Illitch, I'd say it's entirely possible that it doesn't get retired, or maybe not right away anyway. I don't think it will take 30-40 years, but it may not happen right away like it did the two previous captains.

If I were to guess, 40 does go up within a year or two after he officially retires though. As for the other three? No idea. I'd say, 13 - 75% chance, 91 - 50%, and 30 - 25%...

I think Holland is speaking on behalf of the owners. I don’t think Holland decides on whose # gets retired. I think he's always just been the middle man. Especially for something like this, I don’t think he’s going to go around saying “Zetterberg number will hang on the rafters” without the owners consent, that wouldn’t be professional of him. Holland’s the type of dude that beats around the bush a lot when he’s unsure of things (like about Fedorov’s number getting retired).

Plus the fact that Chris Illitch personally recognized Z at the 1000th game ceremony to me was an indiction of what they think of him. Chris Illitch rarely shows up to Red Wings events. And we probably won’t see him make an appearance again for a while. Maybe even until Z’s number is retired to be honest. Or if we win the SC before that.

Edited by kickazz

Does the Hockey Hall of Fame do like the Baseball Hall of Fame and let the player choose what sweater he is wears in the Hall? I don't know, I've never been, so I dont know how they do it. If so, I think any player in a Red Wings sweater in the Hall should definitely be considered for jersey retirement.

Also 40 will be retired and then 71.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Does the Hockey Hall of Fame do like the Baseball Hall of Fame and let the player choose what sweater he is wears in the Hall? I don't know, I've never been, so I dont know how they do it. If so, I think any player in a Red Wings sweater in the Hall should definitely be considered for jersey retirement.

Also 40 will be retired and then 71.

Woah lets not get ahead of ourselves lol. Larkin could end up being a complete flop.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

I think Holland is speaking on behalf of the owners. I don’t think Holland decides on whose # gets retired. I think he's always just been the middle man. Especially for something like this, I don’t think he’s going to go around saying “Zetterberg number will hang on the rafters” without the owners consent, that wouldn’t be professional of him. Holland’s the type of dude that beats around the bush a lot when he’s unsure of things (like about Fedorov’s number getting retired).

Plus the fact that Chris Illitch personally recognized Z at the 1000th game ceremony to me was an indiction of what they think of him. Chris Illitch rarely shows up to Red Wings events. And we probably won’t see him make an appearance again for a while. Maybe even until Z’s number is retired to be honest. Or if we win the SC before that.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but do you have a link? Preferably video, because as we know, context is everything.

Regardless, I agree. #40 will be retired, and I think it'll be well deserved.