• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Glendening signs 4-year, $1.8m AAV extension

Rate this topic

Wow quite a lot of money. He has to be one of the most enigmatic players for LGW. On one hand he's a fourth liner. Period. On the other, Babcock and now Blashill are more than comfortable giving him extended minutes in all situations atypical for a fourth liner. One coach doing it is maybe poor judgement, but two? I'm happy he will remain with Detroit but this seems like overpayment.

There was more than one game played in this series and more than 1 win needed to win the series. Even if you blame the game 4 loss to glendening leaving injured it still doesn't explain the fact that Johnson lit us up before and after than game too. (Game 2 and 6).

And it's a bad comparison because Glendog vs Johnson ended up leading to Johnson still being the Tampa hero while Zetterberg vs Crosby in 2009 led to Malkin winning the conn smythe. But you can overrate Glendening if you want. In a world where Manny > Ozzy I guess anything is possible lol.

Edited by kickazz

There was more than one game played in this series and more than 1 win needed to win the series. Even if you blame the game 4 loss to glendening leaving injured it still doesn't explain the fact that Johnson lit us up before and after than game too. (Game 2 and 6).

And it's a bad comparison because Glendog vs Johnson ended up leading to Johnson still being the Tampa hero while Zetterberg vs Crosby in 2009 led to Malkin winning the conn smythe. But you can overrate Glendening if you want. In a world where Manny < Ozzy I guess anything is possible lol.

Not to split hairs here, but in 2005 when I created this handle, manny>>>>>ozzie.

Also maybe you should look at their career stats, pretty sure manny has a better gaa and sv%

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Not to split hairs here, but in 2005 when I created this handle, manny>>>>>ozzie.

Also maybe you should look at their career stats, pretty sure manny has a better gaa and sv%

Lol I liked Legace more than Osgood too I was just poking fun at you.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ken Holland needs to go. Now.

Wow quite a lot of money. He has to be one of the most enigmatic players for LGW. On one hand he's a fourth liner. Period. On the other, Babcock and now Blashill are more than comfortable giving him extended minutes in all situations atypical for a fourth liner. One coach doing it is maybe poor judgement, but two? I'm happy he will remain with Detroit but this seems like overpayment.

The Red Wings fetishize stupid things that don't -- or barely -- contribute to winning.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't mind this signing at all...I actually like it.

Glendening is the type of guy you want on your team and in your Locker Room. He is probably one of least naturally talented players in the league, yet he makes it because he constantly outworks his opponents, on and off the ice. That kind of commitment and will to work is worth something...I truly believe that.

Additionally, he is young - this contract will take him through his prime years. This isnt us signing some 30+ year old career grinder who has seen his best days. How often have the Wings signed a player to a contract which consists only of their prime years (ending at age 31). I honestly cant think of many...

He has improved his point totals every single year hes been in the league, going from 7 to 18 to 21. I see no reason to think he cant surpass 30 pts in a season at some point over the duration of this contract.

He reminds me of Draper in many ways - and their careers have been prerty similar to this point.

Draper was overlooked and essentially given to the wings for free.

Glendening was un-drafted and not taken seriously until the age of 24 when he finally cracked an NHL roster.

At the age of 27 Drapers career high in pts was 23. Glendening just had a 21 pt season.

Drapers next 4 seasons he had pt totals of 12,24,30,35 pts.

Who's to say Glendenning can't have a similar career path? If you think otherwise what evidence supports this?

It's true the Wings have far to many forwards at the moment, but there that doesn't mean this is a bad signing, it just means Holland needs to trade some of them. Of all the contracts Holland has given out this offseason, this nowhere near the worst. IMO of course

He is like Draper in many ways. The good thing with Draper was we could afford to keep re-signing him because we had an elite team. He was always low risk for us (and very very high reward).

The difference now is the team has been on regression for a while. If we had our 2008 team re-signing Glendog to 4 years would probably be brushed aside. But we are a team that just backed into the playoffs last year. Every contract signed will come under scrutiny from fans. "Is this needed to become a good team again"? And all those questions etc.

Imo 4 years is too much. Should have given 1-2 years and see where the team stands. But we are slowly getting locked with the same exact team that lost the first rounds of playoffs three years in a row.

Edited by kickazz

The signing doesn't really bother me, to be honest. It's pretty much market value for a players with his role/production. Just kind of a slap in the face to everyone who's already frustrated with the logjam up front/AA and Mantha looking as if they're headed back to Grand Rapids. Glendening was already this team's fourth-line center this year, so it doesn't change much this season. Really, if Blashill decided to use Athanasiou in that role, people would complain about his low TOI, so either way...

I'm annoyed with the current roster situation, but I'm not really going to get on Holland's case until the offseason is over. Although, the longer he puts off addressing the logjam up front/needs on defense, the worse it's going to get. They want the prospects to push guys out of the top-nine, but I'm not counting on a trade magically falling into his lap when/if that happens. Holland's going to have to decide who's worth keeping and who he wants to move, and then pull the trigger on a legitimate deal. He can't just patch-up the holes anymore. The situation isn't going to resolve itself.

The thing that bothers me the most about this signing is that for whatever reason it needed to be done this offseason... Why the urgency to lock up a 4th line plug to a 4 year contract when he still has a year remaining on his contract? Why not see what happens in another full season and worry about re-signing him next off-season if you really feel the need to? Glendening wasn't going anywhere, so why the rush? Were you really afraid that his value was going to skyrocket above $1.8M? Not likely...

I like Glendening, he works his a** off every shift of every game, and I don't doubt he's a great guy to have in the locker room, especially to help the kids get in shape. But none of that makes up for the on ice product, and the on-ice product is bad... He's good at face-offs? Great, but what good is gaining possession if you're just going to lose it right away? He's good at blocking shots? He damn well better be, because he never has the puck...

Zone starts is one of the many different stats calculated into advanced analytics, so no, I don't think the numbers are skewed at all. Glendening is THAT bad at possessing the puck... but who needs that little black thing when you're awesome at blocking it... amirite?

Extending Luke doesn't piss me off, it's more the signings of Miller and ott and thus putting the kids in the back burner yet again

I just don't understand what the hurry with getting the contract done was though? Couldn't wait till after the expansion draft?i swear if we end up using one of our spots for the expansion draft on Luke ...

And his cap hit is 500k too much , but with it being under 2 million if we actually wanted to trade Luke on day I don't think it would be a hard contract to move

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I just don't understand why they did this now and not next offseason. I don't see any scenario where Glendening magically racks up 40 points and increases his value enough to where he would get more in the open market next year. Seems Kenny jumped the gun for no reason to me.

Edit: My point is he has a greater chance of showing he is worth less after this season than increasing his value

Edited by UpstateNYRedWingsFan

This team hasn't gotten past the 1st round in three years and we're resigning the same players until the year 2021.

All of Helm, Glendog, Abdelkader, Ericsson contracts are way too long. (can't blame anyone for Ericsson contract- he was expected to be a good top 4 D-man)

Kenny is doing bad guys. Still not a hater but legitimately calling him out.

It's not Glendog or maybe even his individual contract that's a huge problem. It's the sum of all parts. Right now the team is built around Helm, Ericsson, Glendog, Abdelkader, Nielsen for the next 4-5 years. Yikes...

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/detroit-red-wings

Edited by kickazz

This team hasn't gotten past the 1st round in three years and we're resigning the same players until the year 2021.

All of Helm, Glendog, Abdelkader, Ericsson contracts are way too long. (can't blame anyone for Ericsson contract- he was expected to be a good top 4 D-man)

Kenny is doing bad guys. Still not a hater but legitimately calling him out.

It's not Glendog or maybe even his individual contract that's a huge problem. It's the sum of all parts. Right now the team is built around Helm, Ericsson, Glendog, Abdelkader, Nielsen for the next 4-5 years. Yikes...

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/detroit-red-wings

Yeah, after reading about the extension I went to check out our cap situation and it's pretty ugly. Bad contracts, and a lot of long contracts. I really hope George McPhee likes Howard and Ericsson....