• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Hall of Fame Worthy

Rate this topic

There has been alot of talk about this lately prompted by Datsyuk's retirement, so I figured now is the perfect time to create a thread.

I want this topic to be a place where people discuss who will get in, the biggest snubs, players recently retired and whether or not they should get in, and players currently playing and if their career's are on pace to get in.

To start the convo, I looked up a list of the biggest HOF snubs, here it is:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2588817-ranking-the-biggest-hall-of-fame-snubs-in-hockey-history

1) Rogatien Vachon

2) Butch Goring

3) Sergei Makarov

4) Eric Lindros

5) Paul Kariya

6) Tom Barrasso

7) Dave Andreychuk

8) Alexander Mogilny

9) Jeremy Roenick

10) Theo Fleury

Honorable Mentions

Guy Carbonneau

Curtis Joseph

Bernie Nicholls

Mark Recchi

Bobby Smith

Keith Tkachuk

Pierre Turgeon

John Vanbiesbrouck

Mike Vernon

Doug Wilson

Chris Osgood (not on list, added by me)

Here are guys who are going to be eligible in the upcoming years:

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/hockey/the-hockey-futures/2017-hockey-eligibles

Daniel Alfreddson

Ed Jovanovski

JS Giguere

Nikolai Khabibulin

Petr Nedved

Ray Whitney

Ryan Smyth

Saku Koivu

Teemu Selanne

Tim Thomas

Todd Bertuzzi

Tomas Kaberle

Tomas Vocoun

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/hockey/the-hockey-futures/2018-hockey-eligibles

Daniel Breire

Evgeni Nabokov

Kimmo Timonen

Martin Brodeur

Martin St. Louis

Pavel Datsyuk

Brad Richards

Selanne and Brodeur are shoe-ins.

Martin St. Louis will get in. Alfredsson and Datsyuk should also get in but I can see why people argue against them.

I think Roenick needs to be in as well. The guy is a 500 goal scorer and scored over 1200 points. Lack of hardware is costing him.

I think the general consensus for forwards is 1000 points to HoF right? There's rare exceptions I believe.

Edited by kickazz

If I had to guess, I would have to guess that next years class will be:

Teemu Selanne

Paul Kariya

JR

Mark Recchi

*edit* I didnt realize Recchi was 12th all time in points. He should definitely be in the next class.

Edited by kliq

Datsyuk was the best forward in the NHL for a few years, he should get in.

Like when? This leagues been dominated by Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, now transitioning into Kane, Benn etc. Dats was the best defensive foward for a few years. But that's not nearly as valuable to the league (in their perception) as offensive forwards are.

Edited by kickazz

Crosby Malkin and Ovechkin scored more. Datsyuk was still the better player.

I mean we say that because we have bias towards him. But the entire league would probably disagree. If he was the best player he would have the awards to show for it (being voted as best by his peers or the hockey writers). He was the best defensive forward, which is why he has 3 of those awards.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in, but Datsyuk wasn't better than Crosby. Crosby's vision on ice is ridiculous and most Red Wings fans would never admit it because we purely disliked the guy in the late 2000s.

Datsyuk was the most skilled and talented player in this era (although probably one of the worst slap shooters) but that doesn't make him the best. Those two are unrelated. If skills and talent defined being the best then Tomas Jurco would be the best player on our team now that Datsyuk is gone.

Edited by kickazz

Pavel Datsyuk

Brad Richards

By the way, I don't think Datsyuk is eligible for Hall of Fame yet since he still a current player. It takes affect after a player stops playing the game.

Edited by kickazz

By the way, I don't think Datsyuk is eligible for Hall of Fame yet since he still a current player. It takes affect after a player stops playing the game.

If true, my bad. I assumed you had to be out of just the NHL.

He was voted the best Russian, ahead of Malkin and Ovechkin, in 13 and was widely regarded as one of the top 3 players from the 04-05 lockout until injuries started showing him down. Announcers on national broadcasts generally called him arguably the best because of his defense, and most people agree he'd have scored a lot more if he had wanted to.

Lol at Khabibulin eligible but not osgood. The hate never stops.

Well Khabibulan becomes eligible in 2017, that's what that means. It's not everyone that IS eligible as Osgood has been eligible for years. If anything be upset that he didn't even make their "honorable mentions list" as I had to add him myself.

If true, my bad. I assumed you had to be out of just the NHL.

Yeah because last year was 3 years since Fedorov quit the game in Russia and Hasek also got in after he quit in Czech finally.

He was voted the best Russian, ahead of Malkin and Ovechkin, in 13 and was widely regarded as one of the top 3 players from the 04-05 lockout until injuries started showing him down. Announcers on national broadcasts generally called him arguably the best because of his defense, and most people agree he'd have scored a lot more if he had wanted to.

These are all just opinions of announcers though. He could never beat out Crosby or Malkin for Ted Lindsay Award or Hart trophy for a reason. I mean Fedorov was able to win Selke and Hart trophy AND Pearson in the same year so I'm not sure if I agree with the whole "he could have scored more if he wanted to" theory because it's obviously possible for a player to score the most and be the best on defense. Datsyuk was probably a top 3 player for a couple of years but Fedorov was actually number 1 in 1993/94 both defensively and offensively. Unfortunately the other thing for Dats was also his inability to play at the same level in the playoffs, something Crosby and Malkin could do. I think that's mostly what separates those guys from Datsyuk, in the eyes of the league. Dats won't ever be known for any playoff heroics while Malkin and Crosby will be (all while being recognized as top season players in those years). I think the year Malkin wrecked the playoffs in 2009, he also won Ross and came in second for Hart trophy and won the Conn Smythe.

I mean obviously, I prefer Datsyuk but Crosby and Malkin were just on another level in those years. Both season and playoffs. And the fact that Crosby was able to recover from his injuries (which honestly is probably the worst type of injury for a player) and still dominate the league post-injury speaks volumes of his hockey level.

Can't believe I'm actually trying to prove Crosby is the best player. Yuck. I think I'm done.

Edited by kickazz

Is the primary reason Kariya isn't in the Hall because of lack of Stanley Cup?

I think point totals may be a factor, 402 Goals, and 989 Points. Seems stupid if 11 more points made big difference, but who knows.

Edited by kliq

I don't think 1000 points mark will apply to Datsyuk though. Unlike Kariya, Datsyuk actually was the best at something (defensive forward). That aspect of his game is certainly generational.

But like I eluded to in other thread, some people will probably have the ultra conservative thought process and still stick to "1000 points or no Hall" rhetoric.

Edited by kickazz

Just to play devil's advocate, didn't you just say in another thread that Helm isn't the best 3rd line center in the league just because Babcock said so? Why are announcers' opinions of Datsyuk any different than Babcock's opinion of Helm?

I don't think 1000 points mark will apply to Datsyuk though. Unlike Kariya, Datsyuk actually was the best at something (defensive forward). That aspect of his game is certainly generational.

But like I eluded to in other thread, some people will probably have the ultra conservative thought process and still stick to "1000 points or no Hall" rhetoric.

I've been through this before on the forum. If they only allow 1,000 point players in, there will be almost no players entering the HOF in 10 or 20 years. There are few players that entered the league in 2002 and beyond that will hit 1,000 points. You can't only let Ovechkin and Crosby in the HOF. The standards will change because there is no choice.

Man Paul Kariya was a Wing killer.

How so? I don't remember him doing much in the playoffs, other than scoring one big goal in the 2003 playoffs.