• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Patrick Roy steps down as Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations

Rate this topic

*pithy remark here*

Kind of a jerk move this close to the pre-season and after other teams have hired all the good free agent coaches..

Wait.. what do I care? Hope the Avs come in at the bottom of the West!!

P.S. We could use some of your Dmen on a fire sale..

Roy's a tool and all but at least he doesn't keep it a secret.

I'm elated at the Avs failing under Joe Sakic though. That clown is the most overrated player in the history of the NHL. I'm glad his no-analytics approach is killing his franchise.

Sakic, overrated? Seriously? Why do fans that hate opposing teams have to hate every player on those teams? The Wings Avalanche rivalry is long over. Not a single player involved remains on either team. Why do people still hate them so much? I guess for the same reason they still hate the Penguins and Crosby... or should I say "Criesby".....

Burnaby Joe was a beast in his day and to say otherwise is flat out wrong...

Sakic, overrated? Seriously? Why do fans that hate opposing teams have to hate every player on those teams? The Wings Avalanche rivalry is long over. Not a single player involved remains on either team. Why do people still hate them so much? I guess for the same reason they still hate the Penguins and Crosby... or should I say "Criesby".....

Criesby lol

With you on the first part, but man do I hate Crosby's face.

On topic, wow. Roy's outta here

I'm elated at the Avs failing under Joe Sakic though. That clown is the most overrated player in the history of the NHL. I'm glad his no-analytics approach is killing his franchise.

Yeah, screw that historic jerk.

maxwell_smart__confused.gif#confused%20g

Wow, I respected Wahhh's abilities... but forever knew he was a total jerk otherwise. Sometimes skill makes up for ass-hattery otherwise - he was pretty much in that category for me, but I love most goalies. ;)

He apparently thinks he failed the Avs, and I have to agree, in terms of his coaching and managerial ...uh... prowess.

q3iCWqE.jpg

Edited by WhiteLightning91

So, is this what happens when you hire unqualified people based on their name and relationship to you and not because they're good at their job?

The business world of connections.

Though Roy did win that Jack Adams.

I'm elated at the Avs failing under Joe Sakic though. That clown is the most overrated player in the history of the NHL.

Are you kidding? Sakic was basically Steve Yzermans hockey doppelganger. Saying Sakic is overrated is saying Yzerman was. The fact that Brett Hull physically grabbed and sat Avery down and told him hes not allowed to talk to "Mr Sakic" shows the level of respect that guy earned. Through the whole rivalry Sakic was the only guy you couldnt hate. Pure class.

As for Roy leaving

21b.jpg

Are you kidding? Sakic was basically Steve Yzermans hockey doppelganger. Saying Sakic is overrated is saying Yzerman was. The fact that Brett Hull physically grabbed and sat Avery down and told him hes not allowed to talk to "Mr Sakic" shows the level of respect that guy earned. Through the whole rivalry Sakic was the only guy you couldnt hate. Pure class.

Agreed. His wrist show was one of the best I have ever seen. The guy deserves every bit of praise he gets.

So, is this what happens when you hire unqualified people based on their name and relationship to you and not because they're good at their job?

I don't know if that was the case with Roy. His 8 years coaching in the QMHL he did pretty well. He won a Memorial cup there and that's the top achievement at that level. He was also the GM, owner, and vice president there as well.

Maybe you meant Sakic? I wouldn't say that was the case either. He work his way up a la Yzerman.

I don't know if that was the case with Roy. His 8 years coaching in the QMHL he did pretty well. He won a Memorial cup there and that's the top achievement at that level. He was also the GM, owner, and vice president there as well.

Maybe you meant Sakic? I wouldn't say that was the case either. He work his way up a la Yzerman.

Lol that's right he was a coach in the QMHL. Coached Radulov too. It's weird how Roy just doesn't come across that in my mind. He'll always be a goalie. Some things just get blocked out

Via Terry Frei at the Denver Post:

“Myself and my staff are going to get together (Saturday) and look at candidates, and go ahead and look for the right guy to take us to the next level,” Sakic said.

“We’re going to put a group of candidates together and then start the interview process,” he added. “As you can probably all understand, this caught us all off guard. There’s no timetable. Obviously, we’d like to have it done before training camp. But we want to interview quite a few people and see who we all feel is the best fit.”

Frei noted former Calgary Flames coach Bob Hartley as a potential replacement. Hartley helped guide the Avalanche to a Stanley Cup championship in 2001.

A few more names out there to consider include Dave Cameron, Kevin Dineen, Dallas Eakins, Sheldon Keefe, and Ron Wilson. If Sakic and Co. are looking for someone who can replicate Roy's intensity and bring a similar old-school approach, there's always Mike Keenan...consider that a long shot.

Remember when Colorado had Landeskog, and Duschene, and O'Reilly, and Stastny, and Shattenkirk, and looked like a promising up and coming team? Lol.

I meant Roy. As the struggles of our very own Anthony Mantha attest, dominating a bunch of teenagers in the Canadian Juniors weakest league is a far cry from being able to do so in the most elite hockey league on earth. If Roy had been a competitive AHL coach I wouldn't be saying this. But he was reasonably successful in a child's league and that was good enough for Avs management because "hey, he's Patrick Roy. The fans will love it.". Good thinking fellas. Edited by kipwinger