• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jacksoni

2016 World Cup of Hockey thread

Rate this topic

Which team wins the World Cup of Hockey?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just think it's stupid they scheduled this at this time of the year.

Actually, scheduling it now has always been the draw of this event. In the middle of the season, there's more injuries and less players feel like going. The idea is that these players have nothing else to do now and are willing to represent their country (or continent in Team Europe's case)

Yep, I had the same question. Apparently they wanted to be able to showcase kids 25 and under on a team, PLUS have the older vets play (USA and CANADA)

I seem to remember hearing that, but since forgot it. What a joke of a tournament format. They may as well have a team full of goons or a team full of celebrities who can play hockey (basically Canadian celebrities).

I just looked into potentially taking my son to a game (I went to Canada vs Russia that last time they had this....'04 I think). But after seeing the prices on ticketmaster, I decided I'll just watch on TV. I'm sure there are much cheaper tickets, but I was looking at Team Canada games....close to $400 for the last few rows in the building.

I just looked into potentially taking my son to a game (I went to Canada vs Russia that last time they had this....'04 I think). But after seeing the prices on ticketmaster, I decided I'll just watch on TV. I'm sure there are much cheaper tickets, but I was looking at Team Canada games....close to $400 for the last few rows in the building.

Check Stubhub, Russia vs Sweden (random checked a game) and first row tickets are $135 and some tickets go for as low as $35 ...plus fees

I don't think the idea was that they wanted to showcase kids under 23 on a team. I think the main reason is that they needed 8 teams. They didn't want to have weak teams involved last prior tournaments (i.e. Germany). 6 teams isn't enough, so this is the way they came up with another 2 teams (a rest of Europe team + under 23 NA team). I think everyone felt NA could easily ice a 3rd competitive team, so this is the way they decided to differentiate.

I'm not a fan of this at all, but I see why they did it. There were probably other ways they could have done it (Canada 1 and Canada 2 for example...but I think that would have been worse as Canada 2 would clearly be getting leftovers).

Check Stubhub, Russia vs Sweden (random checked a game) and first row tickets are $135 and some tickets go for as low as $35 ...plus fees

I know, but I was looking for Team Canada games....which I see has some cheaper tickets on stubhub (still expensive though). I didn't even look at the CAN vs. CZK game because ticketmaster only showed a few single seats, but stubhub has seats together.

Edit: I never even thought to check stubhub as the last time I was looking there, tickets were priced way above face value, so I figured it couldn't have anything cheaper than ticketmaster. Funny, I checked Leaf tickets a few years ago when they were in the playoffs...there were a pair of tickets going for $88,000....not sure if that was USD or CAD or per ticket or for the pair....but didn't really thought that mattered too much.

Edited by toby91_ca

I know, but I was looking for Team Canada games....which I see has some cheaper tickets on stubhub (still expensive though). I didn't even look at the CAN vs. CZK game because ticketmaster only showed a few single seats, but stubhub has seats together.

Edit: I never even thought to check stubhub as the last time I was looking there, tickets were priced way above face value, so I figured it couldn't have anything cheaper than ticketmaster. Funny, I checked Leaf tickets a few years ago when they were in the playoffs...there were a pair of tickets going for $88,000....not sure if that was USD or CAD or per ticket or for the pair....but didn't really thought that mattered too much.

Oh I know, I was looking for some tickets there and some were up to $5900 usd, not kidding, some in the upper level. I bet those are from ticket holders that want to be reimbursed the full amount of what they paid for their plan in one single ticket.

Hopefully you can get good tickets and take your son to a game.

On NHL Radio on SiriusXM this morning, Bill Daly stated that the league is starting about a week late - 10/12/16 instead of their normal time that they would have liked - 10/5/16. So, it sould like a full camp and preseason, just starting a week late and condensing that week's games into the regular season (read: more back-to-backs, I guess).

The Czech team will be interesting. So does the league have to shorten training camp in order to have this tournament?