• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

The Players Tribune: Jim Rutherford "The Box"

Rate this topic

Excellent article written by the Pens GM

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jim-rutherford-what-you-dont-know-about-being-a-gm/

Highlights:

The majority of the job is about surrounding yourself with smart people, managing personalities, and, of course, making sure that your franchise is financially sustainable. (This one might seem boring, but it’s very important.)

When you have a deal on the table, you think about many different factors: a guy’s character, the culture fit, the system fit, and, of course, your salary cap situation — not just this season but two or three years down the line.

The league always moves in cycles. And there’s not just one way to win. When I came to Pittsburgh in 2014, the trends had been flip-flopping back and forth. L.A. won with size and physicality. Chicago won with skill and discipline. (Personally, the Blackhawks are my favorite team to watch and learn from.) Then the Kings won again … size again. Then Chicago won again … skill again. Once a team wins with a certain philosophy, the rest of the league moves to either copy or counter it.

The answer isn’t to follow along with the trends. The answer is to figure out the best identity for your team.

After looking at the deal from every angle, what I asked myself before I got on the phone with Stan Bowman in Chicago was the same question I’ve used to guide almost every move I’ve made over the last 30-plus years.

“Does this guy have the heart?”

Call me old-fashioned, but I think that question will take you a long way in this game.

Interesting to read that only 10 % of the job are actually making trades and signing players and the rest clearly shows why having connections is so important as a GM.

Also awesome gesture by Sid to hand the cup over to Dailey first.

Edited by frankgrimes

One thing I already knew from watching the cup being award on the ice, etc., but what was also in this is that he has an 8 year old son. I remember watching and thinking "that's his son?" How old is Rutherford? I guess he had his son either at 59 or 60.