• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

Frk claimed by the Carolina Hurricanes

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, sputman said:

Has been in every game so far.

Is there a rule regarding players who are picked up from waivers that they have to play in a certain number of games/cannot be sent down?  I don't know the specific details but there is definitely some stipulation.

1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

Is there a rule regarding players who are picked up from waivers that they have to play in a certain number of games/cannot be sent down?  I don't know the specific details but there is definitely some stipulation.

I don't know, sorry. Frk has only played in one I believe and I think he's just rolling as an extra forward. Nestrasil has been a healthy scratch lately, too. As far as I know neither has played with the AHL team this year.

1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

I think as far as "playing" the team can do whatever they want, I'm pretty sure they have the right to make the guy a healthy scratch. As far as sending them down to the minors, I believe they would have to pass through waivers again. Though I would need a fact check to confirm that.

That would annoy me if a team like Detroit lost someone because they had to pass the player through waivers in an attempt to send them down to Grand Rapids, but then Carolina could pick them up and send them down to their farm team and not have to do the same.

7 minutes ago, sputman said:

I don't know, sorry. Frk has only played in one I believe and I think he's just rolling as an extra forward. Nestrasil has been a healthy scratch lately, too. As far as I know neither has played with the AHL team this year.

Maybe its they can't be sent down to a minor league team then.  I honestly can't recall. krsmith will let us know

Edited by Echolalia

I don't know exactly what the ruling is other than that player has to stay on your active roster (doesn't necessarily need to play) for x amount of days. 30 rings a bell but that could be way off... And yes, they would have to clear waivers again if the team wanted to send them down to the American League after the minimum day or game requirement.

No, there's no game requirements.

He could be sent to the minors, but would have to be put on waivers again. If that happened within 30 days/10 games of when he was originally claimed, and we re-claimed him, we could send him down right away though. Not sure if there's special waiver priority for us or other teams that made an original claim. I've heard there is, but didn't see anything in a cursory look at the CBA.

A player claimed on waivers can't be traded until the end of the year, unless he's first offered "on the same terms" to any other teams who put in a claim for him. That's the only restriction as far as I know.

No idea what management has been doing the past few seasons. Losing all these young guys like Pulkkinen, Frk, Ferraro, etc. who have shown some promise and then trading picks for guys like Legwand. Signing guys like Vanek, Ott & Nielsen. Seems very counter-intuitive to what they should be doing. I think 25 years of playoff success has clouded Holland's judgement into always thinking that Detroit is a contender when in reality they haven't been in several years and have been super lucky to have an incredible farm system but now unfortunately it's been ravaged a bit in favor of vets.

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

NHL caliber.  Lots of guys get a cup of coffee.  Doesn't make them NHL players.

If you are on an NHL roster, then you are an NHL player. What you mean to say is they are not NHL caliber players.

1 minute ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

No idea what management has been doing the past few seasons. Losing all these young guys like Pulkkinen, Frk, Ferraro, etc. who have shown some promise and then trading picks for guys like Legwand.

I get why some fans are not happy with Holland, but losing guys that are borderline NHL players really shouldn't be one of them. If one of these guys end up being top end talents, go ahead and get upset, but as of right now the majority of them had/have no trade value.

As far as the Legwand trades goes, I think any GM given an opportunity to trade a lower tier prospect for a player that could mean the difference between making the playoffs or not making them would do. If you remember, that year Andersson was our fricken first line center lol.

14 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

No idea what management has been doing the past few seasons. Losing all these young guys like Pulkkinen, Frk, Ferraro, etc. who have shown some promise and then trading picks for guys like Legwand. Signing guys like Vanek, Ott & Nielsen. Seems very counter-intuitive to what they should be doing. I think 25 years of playoff success has clouded Holland's judgement into always thinking that Detroit is a contender when in reality they haven't been in several years and have been super lucky to have an incredible farm system but now unfortunately it's been ravaged a bit in favor of vets.

No complaints I regards to the Vanek signing that's for sure! Taking him over Frk or Pulk is a no-brainer IMO.

1 hour ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Anyway what's the odds Frk gets to play at the Joe Tuesday and gets on the scoresheet? You just know that's going to happen 

He will score two, both assisted by nesty, then not score another this year lol.

16 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

Vanek, and Neilsen are way better players then Pulks, Frk and Ferraro so I have no idea what your point is on that.

Also Hockey at the end of the day is a business. If your boss says make the playoffs to generate more revenue, well guess what? your job is to make the playoffs. The 25 year playoff streak might not be important to you, but to the owners it might be.

21 hours ago, Buppy said:

No, there's no game requirements.

He could be sent to the minors, but would have to be put on waivers again. If that happened within 30 days/10 games of when he was originally claimed, and we re-claimed him, we could send him down right away though. Not sure if there's special waiver priority for us or other teams that made an original claim. I've heard there is, but didn't see anything in a cursory look at the CBA.

A player claimed on waivers can't be traded until the end of the year, unless he's first offered "on the same terms" to any other teams who put in a claim for him. That's the only restriction as far as I know.

According to Khan...

"The Hurricanes are in the process of determining whether Frk belongs on their team. He must be on the NHL roster for at least 30 days after being claimed on waivers. But he can be waived after that."

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

According to Khan...

"The Hurricanes are in the process of determining whether Frk belongs on their team. He must be on the NHL roster for at least 30 days after being claimed on waivers. But he can be waived after that."

Interesting, but I wonder if Khan might be mistaken.

In 2013, Zack Boychuk was waived by Pittsburgh on March 5th, and claimed by Nashville. Then on March 21st, Nashville waived him and Carolina re-claimed him. (Carolina had him originally, and waived him on Jan 31st, when Pit claimed him.) That was the lockout season though, so maybe a pro-rated time period.

Then in 2015, Mark Arcobello was waived by Nashville on Jan 14th, claimed by Pittsburgh. Waived again on Feb 11th. But he had played 10 games with Pitt. 

Plus. there's nothing in CBA about it that I can find, though that doesn't mean much.

Clear as mud.

And after re-reading the CBA, I think I was a little off before. I believe it's if he's waived again, and we are the only team to put in a claim, we could then send him down without waivers within 30 days/10 games of the time we claim him, rather than from the time of the original claim as I said previously.

I remember from a few years back there was some stipulation that a player claimed on waivers had to stay on the NHL roster for some period of time as well.  I don't trust my memory entirely but with Ken Daniels and Khan both supporting my vague recollection I feel more comfortable believing it to be true.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:43 AM, DatsyukianDekes said:

Vanek, and Neilsen are way better players then Pulks, Frk and Ferraro so I have no idea what your point is on that.

Also Hockey at the end of the day is a business. If your boss says make the playoffs to generate more revenue, well guess what? your job is to make the playoffs. The 25 year playoff streak might not be important to you, but to the owners it might be.

My point is exactly what you're saying but I think the approach is wrong. I surely understand the playoff streak and personally I love the fact that we've made the players for a quarter of a century. However, at the same time, that streak has spoiled us as Red Wings fans to have very highly competitive teams for over a decade. I don't feel as though we've actually had any Stanley Cup equity in the past few years because of these types of trades.

I will concede that Vanek and Nielsen are better players, however, I think that's the wrong approach to take by sliding into one of the wild card spots and realistically have a ~0% of actually winning the Stanley Cup.

What I'd rather see is taking a chance of some of these prospects and trade for picks/prospects rather than give them up. We've also been spoiled to have an insanely good farm system but I'm not sure how long that is going to last and we could end up in a situation that doesn't look very good. The last thing I'd want to see is us end up like the Oilers have been for close to 10 years.

By the time these guys get waived, the team has seen them in practice and games for several years.  Just because they haven't been given 14 minutes a might on a scoring line in the NHL for 20 games doesn't mean they weren't given a chance, or they weren't properly evaluated, or anything else that's been said when the Wings have lost Netrasil, Ferraro, Pulk, Frk, etc.  You can see how a guy skates in practice to see he isn't fast enough.  You can see how hard he works and competes to determine he's not good enough.  You can look at film of a player's AHL goals and see that an NHL caliber defense wouldn't have given him the time to shoot, or that an NHL goalie probably wouldn't have left that hole open.  As far as trading them goes, what value can they possibly have when virtually every team in the league has fringe players like them?  Just because a GM is willing to take a guy for free doesn't mean he'd give up an asset for it.  Would you trade a pick for these guys if you knew you could get them for nothing?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/andrew-miller-40149

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/emerson-etem

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/ben-smith