• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/13 GDT : at Tampa Bay Lighting 6, Red Wings 4

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Saturday, Miller sits, Sheahan moves down to 4th, AA plays with Nyquist and Helm.

Maybe if we had a guy like Jon Cooper behind the bench, but Jeff prioritizes that compete level and grinding style that only Elite Penalty Killer Drew Miller provides.

OK, didn't see the game for a couple reasons. #1 it wasn't on here except for NHL Center Ice which now for the 4th year I refuse to buy because I can see NYC out my front window but I can't Center Ice in hi def. Oh, I can get it in standard def but I'll also have the benefit of paying the same price as those who do get hi def in their markets. Thus I REALLY appreciate the game day threads gang, I can get a feel for what is truly happening w good analysis.

Also, an.857 save % is no way to go through life.

Edited by Jersey Wing

Not too bad, I think we played pretty well until the wheels fell a little bit off in the third. Vanek was great, PP looked much sharper than last season, Smith/Green were a force out there but our PK still needs some training. All in all I've seen far worse season openers. Oh, and f*** the Refs.

Just now, CaliforniaWingsFan said:

Unacceptable to take two bench minors in the 3rd which of course directly lead to goals. I though our PK was like 10% better with Miller, but that is obviously not true. Honestly what does the guy bring to the table? Or Helm for that matter. 

One of those bench minors was a direct result of the Lightning committing obvious interference against our guy trying to get off the ice.  Yes, our skater shouldn't have gotten onto the ice until his man was off, but that should have been a moot point by the time it occurred.

Damn .... damn ... sloppy game.  Before, I was like, OK ... we're not going to win against TB.  But after we went up 2-0, then 3-1, I thought we should be able to pull this off.  Then the old Wings came back.  Yah, it's just the first game, blah blah blah.  

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Saturday, Miller sits, Sheahan moves down to 4th, AA plays with Nyquist and Helm.

Now, now, it's way too early to start making sense. It'll take management at least 10 games before they realize Miller is useless, another 10 ten to admit it by benching him, which of course by then will be too late. I feel sorry for AA and Mantha, although he at least is getting to play instead of sitting in a press box while his lightning fast legs atrophy until he's as useless as Miller. Yeah I'm bummed about this game alright....

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Why? The PK let us down. It's not like I'm being unreasonable and saying Helm sits.

Nyquist - Helm -AA

Sheahan - Glendening - Ott

Has Miller EVER gotten benched? In the last few years? I mean I hope I'm wrong but the chances of it happening are low. 

2 minutes ago, RedWingsRox said:

Damn .... damn ... sloppy game.  Before, I was like, OK ... we're not going to win against TB.  But after we went up 2-0, then 3-1, I thought we should be able to pull this off.  Then the old Wings came back.  Yah, it's just the first game, blah blah blah.  

Classic Wings, instill hope into what seems like a losing situation, just to actually lose.

PK was the undoing, especially losing so many key face offs. Good excuse to get AA in the lineup. That kind of PKing is unacceptable and also Mrazek has to be better. Not a good game from him

Still a huge struggle coming up ice and the defense still gave up a lot of big plays. Looking like one of the worst defense groups in the league

I think our forwards can make plays and score but their not getting the puck efficiently and they can't play defense

A lot of holes on this team. Yeah the defense is awful but the forwards have got to be a lot better in their own zone

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaWingsFan said:

Unacceptable to take two bench minors in the 3rd which of course directly lead to goals. I though our PK was like 10% better with Miller, but that is obviously not true. Honestly what does the guy bring to the table? Or Helm for that matter. 

The more I think about the Helm signing, the more it pisses me off. It stinks of another of Holland's 'sentimental signings'. We didn't need him with both AA and Mantha being ready, and the only guys that don't have contracts right now for next year are Miller, Ott, and Vanek. I hope Vanek has a good year, but if he does, it will only encourage Holland to hand him some ridiculous contract that will clog up our forward lines even more and further stifle the development of our supposed 'youth movement'.

Petr looked strong in net. He let in one that he would like back, but he more than made up for it with some incredible saves. He had little chance on most of the goals. 

On forwards, Vanek had a strong outing, Nyquist had his moments, Abby had a good game, Z was okay. I thought Nelson had moments, but was also a little soft on the puck at times. The whole Larkin line needs to be better and frankly I have no idea why Sheahan is even on that line. Should be AA. As many people have said, Miller should have been gone a couple seasons ago.

On defense, Smith and Green were fantastic! I love how Green is not hesitating to shoot the puck, Smith is joining in rushes and creating scoring chances. Ericsson was to no surprise not very good, but I think Dekeyser was our worst Dman tonight. Bad positioning, gave the puck away numerous times on what should have been an easy out. I really wish we would have sent him in a trade for Trouba. 

As for the coaching staff, our PP looks a lot better than last year, but our PK looks terrible. And the poor bench management continues (I think we led the nhl last season in too many men calls). 

Overall I liked some things that I saw, but they simply need to be better. They got outcycled way too much. I think playing Sproul over Ericsson woud be a fantastic idea.