• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Blashill tinkering with lines after Tampa loss

Rate this topic

Of the Wings' top-six forwards, Abby's P/GP dipped the least. (Left out Larkin, considering he wasn't here in 2014-15)

Datsyuk: 1.03 to .74 = .29
Zetterberg: .86 to .61 = .25
Tatar: .68 to .56 = .12
Nyquist: .66 to .52 = .14
Abdelkader: .62 to .51 = .11

Not necessarily defending them, but both Nyquist and Tatar played fewer minutes, too. Gus' TOI/GP dropped by over a minute, and Tatar's by nearly two minutes. Full disclosure, Abdelkader played roughly 30 seconds more per game last season than he did in 2014-15.

At the end of the day, I'd say there should be more concern over how this team is going to replace that "high-end" forward production, and less concern over its complementary wingers.

Edited by Jesusberg

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I honestly hope Ott gets back in soon. Can't really call out anyone on the team to replace, but I'd like to see him in for about a 5 game stretch. 

Well we're not going to take out the guy who leads our team in game winning goals in one goal games! :lol:

How's that for a major league stat!

In all seriousness, I feel that guys like Miller or Ott can have a role, but IMO it should be healthy scratches that play when there is an injury. Similar to Cleary 2 years ago. I hate seeing a young guy like Sproul just sit in the press box, but its better then trying to clear him through waivers.

You got your wish Lefty... Ott in, Athanasiou out...

Also, Sproul is in, like mentioned in another thread...

EDIT: Ouellet is out for Sproul... Xavier plays his best game I've seen him play, was in my opinion our only decent defenseman last game, and he gets scratched... Awesome Blash...

Edited by krsmith17

Also, moving Larkin back to wing... Just keeps getting better...

Sheahan on top line...

Tatar - Zetterberg - Sheahan

Abdelkader - Nielsen - Larkin

Nyquist - Helm - Vanek

Ott - Glendening - Miller

DeKeyser - Green

Smith - Sproul

Ericsson - Marchenko

Edited by krsmith17

Sigh

So much for having a new game plan after last season. That didn't last long. I understand that we're getting roasted in face offs and possession but I don't know if this is the answer

I also really liked Ouellette. He made some really skilled plays and on the other hand Marchenko has been terrible. Getting beat regularly in his own zone while providing no offense, puck movement etc. Basically the Sheahan of the defense. But he's big!

Edited by joesuffP

To be fair Larkin has been the worst face off taker in recent Red Wings history.

I don't know how much he practiced over the summer but clearly it was not enough. 

Don't forget that when Datsyuk and Zetterberg started their careers, they started as 3rd line players and went head to head on faceoffs against lesser competition. Larkin is getting completely wrecked on faceoffs by top line centers. 

They should have him take O-zone faceoffs at the very least though...

Edited by kickazz

Well wanted Ott in, but not for AA....Grrrr!!!!

Nice to see Sproul get in, but I agree, XO was looking very good.  I guess it's just a numbers game with those two. They HAVE to see how Sproul plays against NHL talent.  They are probably going to evaluate the both and decide which one gets traded.  WPG wants a lefty, so you would think XO would be included in any deal with them.

Edited by LeftWinger

according to @GREGGKRUPA, Blashill says AA needs to bring IMPACT to the team...uh, how about a top 6 role then? 4th line you won't get much impact from AA.

How about we just send him back to GR, so he can play top line minutes every night? Sheesh...This is what I question about Blashill, his usage of players.  Sure, for now, he's hit a winning combo with Nyquist/Helm/Vanek, but Sheahan in the top 6? Are they trying to showcase him? AA should be top 6, in the other thread I put him on a line with Nielsen and Larkin, Sheahan should be 4th line.  Ott and Miller should be rotating in and out as the 12th forward.

This is another reason why I'm glad Mantha isn't up, he'd probably be place on the 4th as well.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You got your wish Lefty... Ott in, Athanasiou out...

Also, Sproul is in, like mentioned in another thread...

EDIT: Ouellet is out for Sproul... Xavier plays his best game I've seen him play, was in my opinion our only decent defenseman last game, and he gets scratched... Awesome Blash...

Not a fan of the move either, but it makes sense. Ouellet's got the lowest TOI/GP on the team, and Marchenko's on the top PK unit. Taking him out the lineup would likely mean DeKeyser-Ericsson, Smith-XO as the PK pairings. While I really like Ouellet, and Marchenko's had some ugly moments, those pairings scare me.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd personally prefer he play 3rd line center with competent wingers than top 6 wing... I'm sure he'll continue to work on it in practice. I just hope this is a very temporary thing...

I'd like to see this too, especially if the move to wing doesn't "get him going". I understand Blash's reasoning for putting him there for now, though.

If it doesn't work, I think working as the 3C against lesser competition could do him some good. My only worry would be how they handle Helm if they decide to go that route.

57 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

according to @GREGGKRUPA, Blashill says AA needs to bring IMPACT to the team...uh, how about a top 6 role then? 4th line you won't get much impact from AA.

How about we just send him back to GR, so he can play top line minutes every night? Sheesh...This is what I question about Blashill, his usage of players.  Sure, for now, he's hit a winning combo with Nyquist/Helm/Vanek, but Sheahan in the top 6? Are they trying to showcase him? AA should be top 6, in the other thread I put him on a line with Nielsen and Larkin, Sheahan should be 4th line.  Ott and Miller should be rotating in and out as the 12th forward.

This is another reason why I'm glad Mantha isn't up, he'd probably be place on the 4th as well.

It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I agree that AA didn't look great.Not to say that he can't or won't, but that he didn't really stand out in a positive way, IMO.

That said, I agree that Sheahan hasn't done much of anything in the top-six. I've said it elsewhere on the boards, but if he continues to struggle, that could be Mantha's ticket to the main roster. Seems like they essentially want someone (in addition to Abdelkader) who can take up space and wreak havoc in front of the net. Sheahan hasn't been all that effective in the role, IMO.

Not to mention, the Wings' 2nd PP unit looks a little weird with two NFP guys on it. Mantha can play in front of the net, but he has more to offer than Sheahan does at the half-wall/around the slot. I'd rather see Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha, Abdelkader (NFP), Sproul/Smith.

Edited by Jesusberg

What do you expect from a skilled player playing with Glendening and Miller? Seriously, those guys have zero offense in their game (yeah, yeah I know they each got a point last game...) There is maybe one young player in the entire league that would still look good with those two plugs, and that's Connor McDavid... everyone else would look mediocre at best... Eichel, Matthews, Larkin, etc. none of these guys would look good or produce in a 4th line role with Glendening and Miller...

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What do you expect from a skilled player playing with Glendening and Miller? Seriously, those guys have zero offense in their game (yeah, yeah I know they each got a point last game...) There is maybe one young player in the entire league that would still look good with those two plugs, and that's Connor McDavid... everyone else would look mediocre at best... Eichel, Matthews, Larkin, etc. none of these guys would look good or produce in a 4th line role with Glendening and Miller...

I thought his issues had more to do with timing, pace and battling along the boards. Things that are within his control, regardless of which line he's skating on. And yes, he's a "skilled" player, but he needs to learn how to work with/read off his linemates better. It's something Mick mentioned during one of the last two games, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

AA was on the first line in his first game and still didn't do anything. The kind of player he is, playing on a lower line should give him a better opportunity to stand out. He didn't have much problem doing so last year. We need to stop blaming Miller and Glendening for everything. 

He won't be out long anyway, unless they swap him for Mantha. 

On 21/10/2016 at 5:39 PM, DickieDunn said:

Blashill is clueless. He's taken Babcocks everybody has to grind mantra and doubled up on it. Not everyone has to play safe hockey. Wonder why you can't score? Let the guys push the puck.

Yet they've scored 2 or more goals in all but 1 game so far...