• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

10/19 GDT - Red Wings 2 at Rangers 1

5 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

Lets settle down there cowboy.

4 hours ago, kliq said:

Obviously the previous poster is is getting way to ahead of themselves...

You know, we're not supposed to tell each other "how to fan" around here but...

Hell, four games into the season, I'd rather have a guy tell me to suck it because he thinks somethings going right than people telling me how this team sucks before the puck even dropped for the first real game.  

Yes, the defense is weak which makes your goalie stand on his head and all your forwards have to play better defensively. ...but a win is a win and if Jimmy can pull off a win like that, we should be happy about it because in previous episodes of Red Wings hockey, he's been less than stellar in his role.  ...and if we can pull out a win like that now, who's to say that it can't continue through the season?  ....or that the defense won't get their s*** together?  ...or we won't get a trade or two that miraculously launches us into the upper echelons of the league

Yes, we are currently sitting in the lower rankings of the standings.  Where we sit at .500. FOUR FREAKING GAMES into the season.   

Winnipeg, with their stacked defensive, offense that isn't in need of an Red Wing winger upgrade unless they're Larkin+, stars in the making - - Laine, Scheiffle, etc, are also 2 -2.  Pulling out an OT win against a re-building Toronto, losing to Boston, winning against Carolina in OT.  Scorching the Flames 4 - 0 in their first game, their only definitive win. That's a less than stellar start to the season, wouldn't you say?  Are they lower tier?  Some teams haven't even played four games.  Does that make them lower-tier by definition? Nashville and the Isles sit below us in league standings... Buffalo sits below us in the standings within our division? Are they too lower tier?

Lower-tier?  That's like, just your opinion, man... ;)

Edited by e_prime
Clarity

6 hours ago, joesuffP said:

i know we sucked possession wise but I think that's more to do with the defense being trash then our scoring players getting benched. We were playing on our heels regardless because of the defense play and our big forwards won the battles and cleared the zone where AA Larkin would be puck chasing and not blocking shots. I'm sorry but it's a real thing. Miller had about as good of a game as you can expect. Most of the credit goes to Howard obviously no sarcasm

Miller had a good game, I'm not arguing that. All I'm pointing out is that Zetterberg and Nielsen led in ice time so they were obviously most relied upon. And to close out the game it was Zetterberg/Nielsen not the 4th line guys, although Glendening was on there for a shift as a backup center. Larkin might have been chasing the puck but he was also led in takeaways with 2 last night, so he must obviously be good at chasing and taking, which is a part of defense/ Selke voting by the way. And even the blocking shots concept.. our top lines players did a good if not better job of blocking shots last night than our 4th line did. Tatar blocked 2 shots, Abdelkdar 2, Zetterberg 1, Nielsen 1. So while the 4th line might be good on "Traditional defense", it seems like the top line guys can do all that (they have been) and score points as well.

Traditional defense and possession aren't mutually exclusive. You can be good at both. Ask Kris Draper or Kirk Maltby. 

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

Well something ain't right. Helm was not suppose to score that goal Tuesday and we were certainly not suppose to win at Msg tonight.

2 and 2 is a record I'll buy any day at season start with 3 away games. 

I'm in good spirits for now. Doubt it'll last but I'll take it. 

We've been outplayed badly 3 out of 4 games. I don't see reason for optimism. 

1 hour ago, kylee said:

We've been outplayed badly 3 out of 4 games. I don't see reason for optimism. 

The 3rd period was a little better than the first 2

Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin, and Z are baffling to me 

Turnovers, penalties, the defense, positioning, and losing face offs are hand cuffing this team 

6 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

Just to clarify so I am not wrong on your opinion. You dont agree with me saying the wings are a lower tier team or that forcing your goalie to stand on their head every game shows they are not better than last year?

If it happened every game I would 100% agree with you. I'm saying that I dont believe 1 game or 4 games prove that they are a lower tier team because it's too small of a sample size. In the 4 games they played this season, they had two games where their defense was dominated, a game where they looked amazing, and a game where their goalie stole one. You could tell three different narratives from the games they have played so far.

My comment has nothing to do with if they are or are not a lower tier team, my comment was based on how a person can reach a conclusion on one game. I would say the same thing if someone said they were amazing because of the Ottawa game.

17 hours ago, kliq said:

I agree with kickazz....if LA wants Howie, do it straight up for Budaj. Don't get greedy and ask for more, just getting rid of that cap hit is a HUGE win for us. This is nothing against Howard, I actually really like him as a goalie. Its just cap management.

I'd rather have Zatkoff, but Budaj makes less I think. Not like the Wings have to play him anyways with better options in GR.

11 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I'd hope not.  Hopefully he's being showcased.  

No there's no battle on the team, but there's always a battle on LGW. Lol But I think he was being showcased too with LA's situation. I found it weird that he was getting a start after only three games in which Mrazek was great overall and he's the #1. But then the Ottawa and NYR games were a day apart, and you have Howard's good numbers at MSG, which factored in as well i'm sure. If he keeps up his play when given starts, he might get his fresh start somewhere else soon enough.

15 hours ago, kliq said:

I agree with your first narrative, disagree with your second. Obviously the previous poster is is getting way to ahead of themselves, but so are you. I dont care if the Wings are 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 1-3, or 0-4.......4 games into an 82 game season proves nothing. Please understand, I am not saying you are wrong, you may very well end up being right, what I am saying is that nothing is "proven" yet.

We may differ in our approach how to fix that bad team longterm but in this case you are right. It's way too early to draw any conclusions, which is why I'm surprised to read headlines like the Canucks are the comeback kids, the Flames are in trouble and all that stuff.

I think before the 20 game mark nobody should draw any conclusions and even then the bet somewhat can do is to point to some trends which is s till only a quarter of the season.