• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Howard

Rate this topic

Great to see him play well in his first game. We need him to do this early and often. At the minimum it gives us 2 very good G's and at the best it creates a valuable asset for trade. With teams like LA and the Yotes already losing their starting G's for a while the chance increases that he could be moved.

...and this:

NEW YORK – The New York Rangers skating in on Jimmy Howard in waves. The scoreboard at the end of the Detroit Red Wings’ 2-1 victory at Madison Square Garden read ’32 saves,’ but that was a shallow evaluation of Howard’s night: The breakaways, odd-man rushes and high-percentage scoring chances he stopped en route to that victory.

We found a way on the road to get a ‘W’ and that counts for something,” he said after the game on Wednesday night, still catching his breath.

[ Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Hockey contest now]

It was Howard’s first appearance since April 15, when he gave up four goals on 30 shots in Game 2 of the Wings’ first-round loss against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Petr Mrazek had moved ahead of him on the Wings’ depth chart.

Howard was once the Red Wings’ starter; suddenly, he was a financial anchor on the Detroit salary cap: Making $5.3 million for each of the next three seasons. He wasn’t going to request a trade. But he knew the economic reality of his situation meant he could be moved. “It would be disappointing. I’ve met a lot of great people in this city, made a lot of great friends. That’s the nature of this business. Sometimes you got to pack up and move on,” he said in April.

Howard wasn’t moved. He’s back again for Detroit, a $5.3 million backup goalie.

“I never wanted to leave. On the business side of things you never know. But I never wanted to leave. I love this team,” said Howard on Tuesday.

Staying with the Wings meant wrapping his head around the backup role in a way he hadn’t last season.

“Let’s be honest: Right now, Pete’s the No. 1,” he said. “I think I know how to handle this situation better now. Last year I didn’t quite understand how to be the backup. I’ve never done it before. I fully understand the role now, and how to keep mentally sharp in-between starts.”

For Howard, that’s meant “living in the moment” and “being ready to work, being ready to learn.” That meant committing to the summer plan of new goalie coach Jeff Salajko, as well as some tweaks to his technique suggested by Salajko. “There’s still a little transition there for me. There were times tonight when I was a little too aggressive,” said Howard after the Rangers game.

But he wasn’t overly aggressive. And in his first start of the season, he was rather outstanding. It was the kind of effort that make the argument for increased playing time, or at least starts the discussion about it.

Yet Howard doesn’t necessarily see it as a statement game.

“Every game is a statement. Every single night you have to go out there and re-prove yourself. If you don’t do that, this game can chew you up and spit you out,” he said.

But if it wasn’t a statement effort, is he content to be the backup for the Red Wings this season?

“You guys all know the answer to that,” said Howard to the reporters around his locker.

Howard is from up state New York, his stats against the Rangers are pretty good from what I remember. Howard has something to prove to everyone and himself. 

He won the game last night with some help from Vanek/Nielson Glendenning/Miller 

Wings as a whole did not help out their cause again, 3 games now they have pretty much handed the game to the other team. Difference is the wings ended up winning last night, Petr played just as well in those games as Howard and we lost 

This was one game, not 10-15 in row. Yes LA and the Yotes may need a goalie, but doubt they will looking at Howard as an option this early on in the season  

Howard's problem has always been mental. Most of the time if he gives up an early goal or a bad goal he's toast for the rest of the game and sometimes the next three games. With his contract, nobody is going to want him regardless ofhow well he plays though. If he was on his last year, maybe a team that loses their #1 for the season picks him up, but not with two more years left.

Glad he played great last night. It's win-win for us to have Howard play well. Goaltending has potential to be a huge strength for us at worst, and at best, if he keeps it up, he does increase the likelihood of being able to trade him.

But...

Alas, this is hardly the first time we've seen flashes of brilliance from Howard, and as everyone has said, it's still going to be quite tough to move him. I'm definitely not putting much stock in one game. Either way though, hopefully he keeps it up. 

Maybe Howard with less work is better for this team. But, I do believe he will not be here by this time next season. If not sooner. I've never been a huge fan, but can appreciate his effort last night. If he gets 15-20 games and 7-10 are performances like last night, I don't think we'll have any trouble moving him BEFORE the expansion draft. Of course let's hope post January Mrazek keeps clear of this team this season. That'll create a stickey wicket for sure!

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Maybe Howard with less work is better for this team. But, I do believe he will not be here by this time next season. If not sooner. I've never been a huge fan, but can appreciate his effort last night. If he gets 15-20 games and 7-10 are performances like last night, I don't think we'll have any trouble moving him BEFORE the expansion draft. Of course let's hope post January Mrazek keeps clear of this team this season. That'll create a stickey wicket for sure!

Aren't the Wings carrying 3 goalies currently?

And it has been in speculation for a long time that with the expansion draft we will lose some players with heavier contracts?

Howard has all the tools, like others have said mentally, he can be his own worst enemy. 

And let's be honest, the team has let the goalies hang out to dry many times over the last few years and of course the goalies themselves have had bad games which we should have won 

This is what brings me back for more, the excitement and love for the game 

1 hour ago, Rivalred said:

Aren't the Wings carrying 3 goalies currently?

And it has been in speculation for a long time that with the expansion draft we will lose some players with heavier contracts?

Howard has all the tools, like others have said mentally, he can be his own worst enemy. 

And let's be honest, the team has let the goalies hang out to dry many times over the last few years and of course the goalies themselves have had bad games which we should have won 

This is what brings me back for more, the excitement and love for the game 

We can only lose 1 player. I assume Howard, Ericsson and Green will be the higher paid guys left unprotected. I hope Kronwall and Zetterberg get left unprotected as well, but I seriously doubt those two will be selected.

Honestly, if Green has a career year, and we pick up one of Trouba or Fowler, I wouldn't mind seeing him protected along with DD and which ever one we acquire. Yes it leaves some young kids open, but again, we can only lose 1 player.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

We can only lose 1 player. I assume Howard, Ericsson and Green will be the higher paid guys left unprotected. I hope Kronwall and Zetterberg get left unprotected as well, but I seriously doubt those two will be selected.

Honestly, if Green has a career year, and we pick up one of Trouba or Fowler, I wouldn't mind seeing him protected along with DD and which ever one we acquire. Yes it leaves some young kids open, but again, we can only lose 1 player.

I highly doubt Green is going to score more than 31 goals or 76 points this year.

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

The Kings are not looking at longterm contracts so there is no way they are going to take on Howard. He is better than the other options (Pavelec, Mason) but Howard is also signed for longer. Which is why guys like Howard, MAF or Miller will not be an option for LA.

I hope you are wrong, but I agree with this sentiment. Once Quick comes back, they would be in trouble with the cap.

I hope you are wrong, but I agree with this sentiment. Once Quick comes back, they would be in trouble with the cap.

yup, with Quick out the Kings have 1.54 cap space so the Jets would have to eat 50 percent of Pavelecs contract plus take a cap dumb back. They don't have much choice maybe even trade for Retto Berra.

5 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

with Quick out the Kings have 1.54 cap space so the Jets would have to eat 50 percent of Pavelecs

once again, what  would be the  logic for Jets doing  such a move? Are they budget team with need of saving some money? (I believe they are not, actually they are ok with sending Pavelec and his contract to minors). Because the rest of this move is like:

- save LA´s a** with goalie situation

- save LA´s a** with cap space

- don´t have Pavelec

- still paying Pavelec till eos

- have nothing back as a reward

Jets aren´t obviously desperate to move out their assets for free and obviously they are (with example in Trouba´s case) not going to be instant sellers. 

Could happen, but LA should send them some higher quality D what they are looking for Trouba. 

Edited by Juklitz

10 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

The Kings are not looking at longterm contracts so there is no way they are going to take on Howard. He is better than the other options (Pavelec, Mason) but Howard is also signed for longer. Which is why guys like Howard, MAF or Miller will not be an option for LA.

Your point is a good one but Miller is in the last year of his contract.. he does have a high salary though (and a modified NTC) so he wouldn't get moved to LA, or probably at all, for that reason. 

Could see the jets moving Pavelec for a draft pick to get something for him while they can. This is assuming their other goalies have been good enough to make them comfortable moving him. Eating half his salary would make it a better pick.. that could be motivation enough. 

2 hours ago, amato said:

Could see the jets moving Pavelec for a draft pick to get something for him while they can. This is assuming their other goalies have been good enough to make them comfortable moving him. Eating half his salary would make it a better pick.. that could be motivation enough. 

Pavalec was demoted by the Jets and is playing in the AHL so I'm sure the Jets wouldn't mind moving him. 

2 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Pavalec was demoted by the Jets and is playing in the AHL so I'm sure the Jets wouldn't mind moving him. 

ah well there ya have it haha, seems they're pretty confident in their other goalies then. 

On October 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Howard can be fantastic.  It's never about how good he can be.  It's about how often it's going to happen and what happens when he's not on his A game.  He doesnt appear to have a B or C game that can scratch out a W here and there.  If he's not standing on his head, he's letting everything in.  The valleys are too low.

Well put. He's played two great games and i'm happy for the wins and for him, but he's long way from redeeming himself, or having other teams wanting him I just knew there'd be a Howard thread after Thursday. Lol

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

I doubt anyone would trade for him with two years left after this at that cap hit, unless they decide he can be their starter going forward.  Then they'd have to convince Holland to give up his precious DEPTH.

Why are you always so cynical? you really think Holland wouldn't want to free up $5.3 in cap space? you can hate on the moves he makes all you want, but to be that naive about something like that is crazy.