• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Howard

Rate this topic

Really wish Howard was moved last season. I really hope Holland tried because we're going to find ourselves in a s***ty situation (actually we already are). The market for goaltenders appears to be a buyer's market with so many teams who look like they are looking to move goalies. I highly doubt we'll get much for Howard but I imagine he'll be a very good option for Las Vegas to take in the expansion draft so I really hope he gets traded this season so that we get something for him.

I think if Quick was going to be out for the season, LA would be watching Howard VERY closely. But if it's three months and they can't take on more salary, then they'll ride it out with Zatkoff/Budaj as long as they can. Howard may be a deadline option If he keeps up his play and Detroit retains salary and he fits a teams budget, or by that point Holland may just keep him for insurance if the Wings are in the playoff hunt then expose him to Vegas and try to move him in the summer.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Kinda yeah, especially since he's never gotten the Wings past the second round since he became starting goaltender 7 years ago and was on some good teams for the first 3 ( I look at the second round loss to Chicago in 2013 after being up 3 games to 1 as the real start of the downfall of the franchise), but it's a risk you take when you trade any player. Sometimes a change of scenery, new team, new coach and new system can rejuvinate a career.

Oh I 100% agree with you. I was just saying from a comedic standpoint how some fans would lose their s*** lol.

I can just see it lol: "KEN HOLLAND IS SUCH A ******* IDIOT!!! HE HAD A STANLEY CUP WINNING GOALIE AND LET HIM GO FOR NOTHING!!!!"

Edited by kliq

9 minutes ago, kliq said:

Oh I 100% agree with you. I was just saying from a comedic standpoint how some fans would lose their s*** lol.

I can just see it lol: "KEN HOLLAND IS SUCH A ******* IDIOT!!! HE HAD A STANLEY CUP WINNING GOALIE AND LET HIM GO FOR NOTHING!!!!"

Hahahaha Ohhh that would absolutely happen. Would be hilarious to watch the meltdown here.

You are not going to get any young players for Howard. Would you make that deal? No. Maybe a mid round draft pick-3rd or 4th. The bigger issue is the cap hits. So you would have to bring back something like his. The key is filling a hole on the team when you do it.

He's always had problems with confidence that expose his weaknesses (lateral movement being a big one), and when he allows that to come out, the team is in for a rough night. I thought even in the SJ game that was a shutout he looked shaky at times, but battled through it.

Last season the team was lucky that when one goalie slipped, the other was there, but eventually that's gonna bite them in the ass. Goaltending is arguably the team's strongest point, and both need to play well every night for them to have a shot at actually doing something in the playoffs, no matter who is starter and who is backup. So far it's been going well.

6 hours ago, Juklitz said:

Zatk-off while he´s IR now. 

Yeah. Injured himself in practice. Haha The Kings can't catch a break.

6 minutes ago, FireCaptain said:

Haha Budaj/Lindback? Now that's a scary tandem. This will be Lindback's SIXTH NHL team and he's only 28, fresh from getting cut at NJ's training camp. Talk about the last moldy remnants in the barrel.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Lest we forget, Holland traded Vernon after winning the Cup in 97 for what I think was a 3rd round pick. Winning doesn't guarantee you'll still be here.

Yeah , I remember when that happened. After he won the Conn Smythe too. Was a head scratcher but he figured Osgood was ready after the the years of Vernon's mentoring and going through long playoff runs watching him. And he was.

13 hours ago, chaps80 said:

This will be Lindback's SIXTH NHL team

Actually won´t be, he was assigned just to minors. Zatkoff will be ready in one week. Btw, LA is 4-0-0 with Budaj.  

Edited by Juklitz

This is definitely great news to see Howard do well in the games he has played.  Nothing really changes at this point though.  Howard and Mrazek may start to alternate starts if Howard keeps up his great play, but that's about it.  Now, what could happen is other teams who need goaltending help may reach out to Holland and ask for Howard or Mrazek if they are both playing well.  I guess we will see if that happens though.

31 minutes ago, Nightfall said:

This is definitely great news to see Howard do well in the games he has played.  Nothing really changes at this point though.  Howard and Mrazek may start to alternate starts if Howard keeps up his great play, but that's about it.  Now, what could happen is other teams who need goaltending help may reach out to Holland and ask for Howard or Mrazek if they are both playing well.  I guess we will see if that happens though.

Teams can ask for Mrazek, but they won't get him. Lol

18 hours ago, Juklitz said:

Actually won´t be, he was assigned just to minors. Zatkoff will be ready in one week. Btw, LA is 4-0-0 with Budaj.  

Yeah I realized that after I posted that it was just a short term contract to play with the Reign because the two goalies who are supposed to be there are both up in LA. As for the 4 wins, goo for Budaj. Didn't expect that from him.

Just enjoy Howard playing well.  I wonder just how much of an impact having a new goalie coach, coupled with the clarity of the situation of Jimmy being the backup maybe giving him a chip on his shoulder is factoring into his play.  Maybe he had gone as far as he could with Bedard as his goalie coach.  (Sort of like a talented student musician moving on from their high school director to a college professor for lessons).

As has been said, worst case we have two great goalies if he keeps it up.

8 minutes ago, TheXym said:

Just enjoy Howard playing well.  I wonder just how much of an impact having a new goalie coach, coupled with the clarity of the situation of Jimmy being the backup maybe giving him a chip on his shoulder is factoring into his play.  Maybe he had gone as far as he could with Bedard as his goalie coach.  (Sort of like a talented student musician moving on from their high school director to a college professor for lessons).

As has been said, worst case we have two great goalies if he keeps it up.

Depth.  What a horrible thing to have!! 

I mean, realistically, if we can't get an upgrade on defense having two studs in the net can go along way to help propel this team pretty far.

Ya some teams have injured starters and are relying on borderline NHL goalies (LA has their starter and backup from their minor league team filling those roles on the big team, Price is hurt again leaving Montoya to start) going forward instead of trying to work out a deal for Howard when it's been known he's been available for awhile now. Normally when a (former in this case) starter is available, some team with a need finds a way to bring him in. Jimmy should be gone by now, but he obv has too many question marks for a team to take him on. Those two good games, while i'm happy about the result and happy for Jimmy, they really mean nothing.

As noted previously, I'm a fan of depth. Hanging onto Howard has been good for both Mrazek's development and hopefully re-raising the value of Howard in a trade.  Last season there was only a small window of opportunity to trade him for anything of value before his stock plummeted. Trading him prior to the season start would have been nothing more than a salary dump and we probably would have had to retain more than desired anyway.

So, as far as "Jimmy should be gone by now"   Where?  When?

Even though Jimmy has been available and teams know it -- it's pretty early in the season for some teams to be making a move like bringing in what might end up being a $5.3 million backup.  A starter going down this early isn't a concern for teams like LA or the Habs. It's not crunch time when every game counts, or desperation time to make the playoffs or time to bring in a vet to backup a young hot netminder that may not have it once the playoffs start.  Other teams are seeing if they can make a go of it with lesser goaltending without taking on a guy like Howard.

I know I keep harping on about how Howard should go to th' 'Peg in a package for Trouba, but I don't really believe that will happen.  TBH I'm not even sure I want it to happen this early in the season.  I hate the fact we're rolling with $9.3 million in goaltending but I do like the fact that we get solid, determined goaltending from Howie in a backup role, and exceptional young skill from Mrazek.  We should relish in the fact that we don't have to worry about goaltending night in and night out.

I'm not a Howard-slappy by any stretch of the meaning but, if he keeps up his play from the start of this season, steals a couple more games here and there, and shows he's overcome his mental blocks --  he deserves a shot at being a #1 somewhere.

Jimmy Howard should and hopefully will go to a team that needs a #1. It will hopefully be a meaningful trade for us, not just a salary dump. Worst case scenario, he gets picked up in the expansion draft and well... "we lose him for nothing."