• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

The MANtha watch.....

Rate this topic

Since we have a thread on Trouba already, I thought this would fit. Were else can we get a 6-5/225 scoring winger? No where. Through 4 games MANtha has 6 goals. Scored in every game this season so far.

Tied to the MANtha watch is the who goes watch. Someone has to leave or be put on IR for him to be called up. I would not be shocked atm if AA and MANtha switch teams.

Its so hard to asses if scoring from the AHL will translate over to the NHL. The best example of this I can come up with is Pulkkinen. Jurco is another, last year when he was sent down he absolutely tore up the AHL, but when he came back he did nothing (though you can argue he wasn't given the opportunity).

My point is, AHL success is great, and is nothing but a good sign, but I dont think that a guy scoring in the AHL automatically means he will be a stud in the NHL, or that he is ready for the NHL full time. I hope he's ready, and I would love to see him up, but I would prefer to see him on the first line in GR, then in the press box or playing with Glenny and Miller.

17 minutes ago, kliq said:

Its so hard to asses if scoring from the AHL will translate over to the NHL. The best example of this I can come up with is Pulkkinen. Jurco is another, last year when he was sent down he absolutely tore up the AHL, but when he came back he did nothing (though you can argue he wasn't given the opportunity).

My point is, AHL success is great, and is nothing but a good sign, but I dont think that a guy scoring in the AHL automatically means he will be a stud in the NHL, or that he is ready for the NHL full time. I hope he's ready, and I would love to see him up, but I would prefer to see him on the first line in GR, then in the press box or playing with Glenny and Miller.

I agree with this 100%, but out of the three of them I think Mantha is the one most physically built to translate his skills to the NHL level.  The guy is a behemoth. 

I agree that it is much better to have Mantha playing top minutes in Grand Rapids then having him play on the 4th line in Detroit with Glendening and Miller / Ott. But that shouldn't have to be the only two options... There's no reason Sheahan couldn't drop down for Mantha, if Blashill weren't so insistent that he's a top 6 player... Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it too much because it's really only a matter of time before he gets the call.

I'd also say that the chance of Mantha's game translating to the NHL is much more likely than just about any prospect we've seen in a long, long time. We've already seen glimpses of what he'll become, and with the extra weight (20 lbs.) he added over the summer, he's even stronger and quicker than last season. I think worst case scenario, Mantha becomes a 2nd / 3rd line 20 goal / 40 point player, best case scenario, he becomes a top line 40 goal / 80 point player. And yes, I do think that ceiling is very attainable with his skill set.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I'm in the same boat. I want them to call him up, but only if the situation is right.

Personally, I'd like to see how he would fare in Sheahan's current spot. I think he could work as a NFP on a line, but also has the ability to shoot the puck on the team's second PP unit. Just a matter of when/if Blash decides that Sheahan's not working out in his current top-six role.

I don't get the top minutes in GR vs 4th line minutes in the NHL. You need to play in the NHL to learn how to play in the NHL. Period. 

Surely he should be called up and have Sheahan move down to the fourth line. But even 10 minutes a game with AA and disney.com would be more beneficial to him at this time than playing in GR.

10 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I don't get the top minutes in GR vs 4th line minutes in the NHL. You need to play in the NHL to learn how to play in the NHL. Period. 

Surely he should be called up and have Sheahan move down to the fourth line. But even 10 minutes a game with AA and disney.com would be more beneficial to him at this time than playing in GR.

I think it's important for Mantha to get more top minutes in the AHL because he really hasn't been a dominant/high impact guy since he was in the QMHL. He had a tough first year pro with the broken leg, then he was pretty good last year, but we need him to be an elite scorer here, so let him get to that point in the AHL first. I hope he keeps ripping it up, gets his confidence up and then come up with guns blazing.

23 hours ago, amato said:

I'll be doing some real live Mantha watching tonight :P Go Griffs Go! 

I wasn't able to catch last nights game as I was at a wedding (just finished watching PVR'd Wings game). I seen they won 3-2, how did they look? Big night for Bert. Did Mantha play a good game despite not figuring in the scoring?

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I wasn't able to catch last nights game as I was at a wedding (just finished watching PVR'd Wings game). I seen they won 3-2, how did they look? Big night for Bert. Did Mantha play a good game despite not figuring in the scoring?

The team overall was good but were up 3-0 at one point and made it a little close for comfort in the end.

Mantha looked good but not great imo. He'll have better games (especially statwise obviously) but he definitely had his chances.. had a lot of shots get blocked or deflected wide but overall he looked like he was skating harder than last season when I went to see them. The monsters were doing a pretty good job of pressuring him when he had the puck but overall, I like what I saw out of him. 

Bert was great! He's so much fun to watch. Hits everything that moves and is solid offensively.. love it! 

Lighter side note: they did a thing on the big screen where they asked each player who the worst driver is on the team and everyone said bert.. then it got to bert and he wasn't sure who to say :P

I also really like what I saw out of Russo. He's got a good shot and skates well.. hope he keeps progressing as he has been. 

On 10/22/2016 at 5:34 PM, marcaractac said:

With his skill set, I don't see him doing well with only 10 minutes per night. More than that, I think they need to bring him up with a clear role in mind. If/when Blashill decides Sheahan isn't working out in his current role, I think that's the perfect opportunity for Mantha. Play the NFP role at even strength and get some minutes with the second power-play unit.

I'm not saying it's a top-six spot or bust for Mantha, but we've already witnessed players with offensive skill-sets (Jurco, and to a lesser extent, Pulkkinen) fail on the fourth line.

28 minutes ago, Jesusberg said:

I'm not saying it's a top-six spot or bust for Mantha, but we've already witnessed players with offensive skill-sets (Jurco, and to a lesser extent, Pulkkinen) fail on the fourth line.

I feel like the only reason it doesn't work is because they get stuck with two guys that have been offensive suck holes (Miller, Glendening, Cleary, Weiss, etc.). Sticking a young guy with no help doesn't help their production. I agree I'd like to see him top six though. Sheahan doesn't belong there.

MANtha is still better than 1 g per game with the Grifins. Now we learn that Vanek may be out another week or more. Put Vanek on the LTIR and call up MANtha like should have happened already. Sometimes the teams refusal to use the IR/LTIR/conditioning time is mind blowing. Why isn't Kornwall on the LTIR? Once healthy why don't players go to GR for conditioning? It would help us over the course of the year.

5 hours ago, Richdg said:

MANtha is still better than 1 g per game with the Grifins. Now we learn that Vanek may be out another week or more. Put Vanek on the LTIR and call up MANtha like should have happened already. Sometimes the teams refusal to use the IR/LTIR/conditioning time is mind blowing. Why isn't Kornwall on the LTIR? Once healthy why don't players go to GR for conditioning? It would help us over the course of the year.

They are not putting Vanek on LTIR because to do it he has to miss either 10 games or 24 days.

25 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Nothing is going to get Zetterberg back to close to the player he was. He is what he is.

Which has been my concern for a while.  He's had injury troubles and I doubt that is going to get any better as he ages...that, combined with nature decline due to age...makes the contracting troubling on the back end.

I'm wondering if he'll end up playing it out.  If he's still struggling and battling injury, I doubt he sticks it out.  He still has another $7 million to collect next season but then it drops to $3M, then to $1M and $1M the following 2 years after that.  Not a lot of motivation to keep playing unless he feels good.  If he does play though, I doubt you are going to get the value out of him that you'd want with a $6+ million cap hit.

Edit - on Mantha, I'm not getting too bent out of shape yet, he really hasn't proved much yet in the AHL.  I'm not sure what his contract situation and waiver rules are that may inhibit calling up and sending down, but if there are no limitations, then I'd give him a shot if their is roster room due to injuries.  Other than that, if there's any risk with being able to move back and forth, I don't do anything yet.  7 goals in 7 games is great, but it's the AHL and it's 7 games.

Edited by toby91_ca